2016 World Cup Talk: ROR, Eichel, Kulikov, Ristolainen participating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think saying that Risto's struggles have been because of poor teammates is a lame excuse. I don't think Risto is bad, but rarely is there a time when Risto struggles and people admit that he might not yet be that #1 D-man we are hoping for.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think saying that Risto's struggles have been because of poor teammates is a lame excuse. I don't think Risto is bad, but rarely is there a time when Risto struggles and people admit that he might not yet be that #1 D-man we are hoping for.

They do this with all our young promising players..

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I always say he has ways to go before he can be called a #1 tho

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

#1 dmen actually do get beat. The level of perfection some seem to expect is the bigger issue IMO.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Risto has consistency issues. We forget he's only 21. Even if he played a perfect game, they would have struggled, but he most certainly did not play a perfect game.

I'd like to see you drop Weber or Ekblad in the same situation and see how well they'd do.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Risto has consistency issues. We forget he's only 21. Even if he played a perfect game, they would have struggled, but he most certainly did not play a perfect game.

He definitely wasn't perfect but got very little help as well.
That game was embarrassing to watch.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future

The Finnish team as a whole didn't play well. Hard to point at Risto and say his game stood out as especially bad, considering he generally played pretty well despite the shellacking his team received.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Finnish team as a whole didn't play well. Hard to point at Risto and say his game stood out as especially bad, considering he generally played pretty well despite the shellacking his team received.

Agreed, it's really hard to judge a dman in a game like that. NA, absolutely manhandled Finland's forwards. And because of that it was just endless rush against the finns d. The score was actually pretty respectable considering.

You could have replaced risto with just about anyone, doughty, Keith, prime chara and the result would have been similar.

Not to say risto was flawless.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
#1 dmen actually do get beat. The level of perfection some seem to expect is the bigger issue IMO.

Exactly. Playing defense in any sport (including offensive line, etc in football) is about limiting the amount of times you get beat or directing where you might get beat, because you're going to get beat. It happens. Chara in his prime got beat. Even Lidstrom got beat. Not to say Ristolainen is at a #1D level right now, just that if and when he is, he's going to look silly getting picked apart at times because that's the reality of the talent level he's up against, it's the reality of situations players get put in when their team defense breaks down, etc.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Exactly. Playing defense in any sport (including offensive line, etc in football) is about limiting the amount of times you get beat or directing where you might get beat, because you're going to get beat. It happens. Chara in his prime got beat. Even Lidstrom got beat. Not to say Ristolainen is at a #1D level right now, just that if and when he is, he's going to look silly getting picked apart at times because that's the reality of the talent level he's up against, it's the reality of situations players get put in when their team defense breaks down, etc.

Yup, contain not eliminate. Particularly when team defense is getting blown up.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
World Cup Of Hockey 2016 Schedule - Monday, September 19.
3:00 pm ET - Europe vs Czech Republic - ESPN2 - Sportsnet East-Ontario-West-Pacific.
8:00 pm ET - North America vs Russia - ESPN2 - Sportsnet East-Ontario-West-Pacific.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Tom Gulitti ‏@TomGulittiNHL -
No Ovechkin, Markov, Emelin, Zaitsev for Team Russia's morning skate after team played yesterday.
Judging by the jersey colors, looks like Russia will go back to lines it started with on Sunday. (even with missing guys)
Sergei Bobrovsky has his own net while Semyon Varlamov and Andrei Vasilevskiy appear to be sharing one. Looks like Bobrovsky again tonight.
Sergei Bobrovsky exits ice as first goalie off for Team Russia.
Assistant coach Harijs Vitolinsh said Team Russia's lineup has yet to be decided. Would not confirm that Bobrovsky will start.
A fire alarm at the hotel caused Team Russia to have to exit their rooms at 7:40 am ET this morning.
(LaxSabre - Ok, who pulled the alarm? Eichel? Matthews? McDavid? or was it the "old guy" Ekblad?)
Russia Defenseman Dmitry Kulikov said "It was fun to watch" Team North America play last night. Admitted he had an eye on new Buffalo teammate Jack Eichel.
Kulikov on tonight's game vs North America - “Everyone knows it. It’s no secret. It’s a must-win if we want to stay in the tournament.”
Matt Murray will start in net again for Team North America tonight vs Team Russia, coach Todd McLellan said.

@BNHarrington -
Kulikov let go a smile when I asked if he watched Eichel closer last night. "He's in good shape. It looks like he's really skating."
With Team NA not skating today, Eichel not on media list this AM. Players speaking will be McDavid, Murray, Nugent-Hopkins and Gostisbehere.
McDavid on Team Russia being 0-1 - "They're hockey giants ... and they're in a desperate spot. It's a good opportunity for us to put them down."

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Terry Koshtan‏@koshtorontosun - Here are the United States forward lines and defence pairings at this afternoons practice.

Forward Lines - Abdelkader-Stepan-Kane - JVR-Pavelski-Oshie - Parise-Kesler-Wheeler - Pacioretty-Backes-Palmieri.

Defence Pairings - Suter-Niskanen - McDonagh-Carlson - E. Johnson-Byfuglien.

@BNHarrington - Based on start of practice, Byfuglien will be back in for Team USA and Jack Johnson will be out. As it should have been in the opener.
This is just not a good team. Team NA really killed the Americans and their own decisions put the final nail in too.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Terry Koshtan‏@koshtorontosun - Here are the United States forward lines and defence at this afternoons practice.

Forward Lines - Abdelkader-Stepan-Kane - JVR-Pavelski-Oshie - Parise-Kesler-Wheeler - Pacioretty-Backes-Palmieri.

Defence Pairings - Suter-Niskanen - McDonagh-Carlson - E. Johnson-Byfuglien.

@BNHarrington - Based on start of practice, Byfuglien will be back in for Team USA and Jack Johnson will be out. As it should have been in the opener.
This is just not a good team. Team NA really killed the Americans and their own decisions put the final nail in too.

I was rooting for team na from the start, because eichel, and 5-6 guys i loved as prospects over the last 4 years.

That said, the U.S. has made the decision so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad