2016 WHL Trade Deadline Thread

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Wonder if Point might be coming to Brandon. He's a scratch tonight...

Feel like Kelly will do something huge soon, and that could be it.

Nope. He just got back into Regina tonight. And most of the time after the WJ's the kids get a few days break.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wonder if Point might be coming to Brandon. He's a scratch tonight...

Feel like Kelly will do something huge soon, and that could be it.

I can't see Brandon trading for him. Moose jaw would want a giant return and imo it'll be way too much for brandon

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
My view on everything

Only a rookie member so I can only reply so here's my view on everything. Moose jaw seems to be in that weird spot where there not terrible like the Kootenay ice but they aren't great like red deer Lethbridge Calgary etc. For moose jaw to think that they can make a deep run in the playoffs would be very optimistic. I think a smart idea would be to trade him at the last second so that they get the most value out of him assuming a bidding war starts. They could easily get a 1st round out of him plus another couple prospects and maybe a solid top six forward that can help them if they still want to stay a decent team this year. That way they are built strong for the future and don't weaken too much this year. And point has missed half of the season so it isn't like he's been carrying them only to be a few games above 500. In the standings.

On to other things, I'd like to see teams like Lethbridge and calgary start to push and make some moves. The past couple weeks red deer have literally peiced together a top 1st line in the league in the likes of debrusk, helewka, and philp. And red deer was doing very well before acquiring all 3 of those players. Red deer looks deadly, I would hope that Lethbridge Calgary and Brandon would do something to try and keep up with them. I can't see Lethbridge doing too much, other then trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for a solid 19 year old defencemen. They don't need help on offense that's for sure with 5 of there players in the top 20 scoring in the whole league. It'll be interesting to see what happens as we near the trade deadline.

Canadian82

Dec 28, 2015
Only a rookie member so I can only reply so here's my view on everything. Moose jaw seems to be in that weird spot where there not terrible like the Kootenay ice but they aren't great like red deer Lethbridge Calgary etc. For moose jaw to think that they can make a deep run in the playoffs would be very optimistic. I think a smart idea would be to trade him at the last second so that they get the most value out of him assuming a bidding war starts. They could easily get a 1st round out of him plus another couple prospects and maybe a solid top six forward that can help them if they still want to stay a decent team this year. That way they are built strong for the future and don't weaken too much this year. And point has missed half of the season so it isn't like he's been carrying them only to be a few games above 500. In the standings.

On to other things, I'd like to see teams like Lethbridge and calgary start to push and make some moves. The past couple weeks red deer have literally peiced together a top 1st line in the league in the likes of debrusk, helewka, and philp. And red deer was doing very well before acquiring all 3 of those players. Red deer looks deadly, I would hope that Lethbridge Calgary and Brandon would do something to try and keep up with them. I can't see Lethbridge doing too much, other then trading a 3rd or 4th round pick for a solid 19 year old defencemen. They don't need help on offense that's for sure with 5 of there players in the top 20 scoring in the whole league. It'll be interesting to see what happens as we near the trade deadline.

My guess with the canes is that they will wait and see how they match up against the rebels on Friday. But I agree with you leth could do with a top d man to go along with atwal and Nielsen. Can't see them trading away skeoch or Watson and the import dman cannot be traded due to rules have to release him. So Reagan or pank would be on the block.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
My guess with the canes is that they will wait and see how they match up against the rebels on Friday. But I agree with you leth could do with a top d man to go along with atwal and Nielsen. Can't see them trading away skeoch or Watson and the import dman cannot be traded due to rules have to release him. So Reagan or pank would be on the block.

Yes I could see Reagan or pank on the block for sure. Its hard to say who they would give up though, size and strength in Reagan vs a guy who can put up some points like pank.

Canadian82

Dec 28, 2015
Yes I could see Reagan or pank on the block for sure. Its hard to say who they would give up though, size and strength in Reagan vs a guy who can put up some points like pank.

That's why I would go with getting rid of pank as canes need defensive dmen not offensive dmen. You watch the canes its pank and Reagan that allow the most mess ups

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The rumor was Brandon was going to get Point/Smejkal for some combo of Mattheos/Kaspick + Shymr + picks/prospects but one of Mattheos/Kaspick refused to go. I think KM has moved on now and probably has his sights set on Pollock + Euro forward from some team

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
The rumor was Brandon was going to get Point/Smejkal for some combo of Mattheos/Kaspick + Shymr + picks/prospects but one of Mattheos/Kaspick refused to go. I think KM has moved on now and probably has his sights set on Pollock + Euro forward from some team

hmm interesting, what kind of sources do you have on this? I just want to know because i want more info on trades too haha, and i can see why one of them wouldn't want to go. lets be honest here who wants to go from brandon to moose jaw

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Interesting... hmmm 20 year olds are tough to trade.. I'm sure all teams that are making a push are pretty comfortable with theirs ?... I predict a 20 year olds career will be over soon cause someone will acquire Sanford and then put their guy on waivers... or I guess med hat will just take him on just cause

Who are some options to trade for him?.. I really don't know

Hordichuk_24

Interesting... hmmm 20 year olds are tough to trade.. I'm sure all teams that are making a push are pretty comfortable with theirs ?... I predict a 20 year olds career will be over soon cause someone will acquire Sanford and then put their guy on waivers... or I guess med hat will just take him on just cause

Who are some options to trade for him?.. I really don't know

There are plenty of teams that could use an upgrade, IMO. Prince George, Everett, Moose Jaw, Regina, Prince Albert and Vancouver just to name a few. And if someone like Sanford is available many teams would happily trade one of their 20 year old's plus extra to get him. That would be funny if Vancouver got him to reunite him with Cox. They just brought Crunk back to fill that final overage spot so I don't see them dumping him again. But I could see them moving Popoff. But who knows. There are other teams that need a guy like Sanford a lot more than Vancouver.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
If you are basing that on the hype surrounding him entering the league I would argue that is the problem. Unless he turned out to be the next Gretzky or Crosby he wasn't ever going to live up to all that hype. It was extreme and over the top. People seem to think he should be leading the league in scoring and putting up goals left and right. He isn't that type of player at all. If you are expecting that you are going to think he is underachieving or overrated. But he really isn't. Can he get better? Of course. But people are acting like he isn't even a 1st round pick anymore. That is laughable and absurd. There is a reason every coach that has coached Benson in juniors raved about him. And it has nothing to do with him being overrated.

I don't get your first comment. Any WHL team that drafted Benson would have tried building a team around him. I agree on the second part but that was all Ron Toigo. Unfortunately he has too much influence on what happens on a day to day basis.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that although I don't think you can really strip the "C" unless Benson asks to have it revoked (which I think is unlikely). But I do think the pressure of wearing a letter on a poor team without much leadership and experience was a horrible idea from the start. Again that was all Toigo. All for PR purposes. Not based on smarts and understanding on how that should work and how the chemistry and personalities of a locker room work. I don't think at the start of the year the Giants fully expected to have Benson back next season considering how quickly the NHL rushes players nowadays. Based on the fact Benson isn't dominating this season and sliding a bit in the rankings it's more likely he will be back (which he should, either way, IMO).

I completely agree there. But there are a lot of negative driving forces behind that whole idea. Ticket sales, moving to Surrey, etc. Management (more ownership) wants playoffs or bust. This team now isn't very good. They are getting better but even if they make the playoffs they are out in the 1st round. Does that make it worth it? Not in my mind but clearly I'm not in charge. Unfortunately I think because the team has been winning a bit as of late if that continues this weekend over the Christmas break they will decide to add some pieces and make a push for the playoffs.

Moving to surrey?

Did I miss something here?

Agree with almost all of the rest of the post.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Two trades today, so far

-Kamloops trades Patrik Maier and a 2017 5th for Jiri Smejkal.
-Calgary trades Layne Bensmiller and Loch Morrison to Prince Albert for Matteo Gennaro, Ty Prefontaine and a 2016 6th.

I like the first deal for Kamloops, Smejkal is the better player there.

Like the second deal for both parties, but I'd teeter toward Prince Albert on the deal as Bensmiller is a speedy forward buried beneath Calgary's depth who has some real skill while Morrison is a perfectly capable d-man.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
Two trades today, so far

-Kamloops trades Patrik Maier and a 2017 5th for Jiri Smejkal.
-Calgary trades Layne Bensmiller and Loch Morrison to Prince Albert for Matteo Gennaro, Ty Prefontaine and a 2016 6th.

I like the first deal for Kamloops, Smejkal is the better player there.

Like the second deal for both parties, but I'd teeter toward Prince Albert on the deal as Bensmiller is a speedy forward buried beneath Calgary's depth who has some real skill while Morrison is a perfectly capable d-man.
very interesting, It seems like neither prince albert or calgary won this trade. It was equal for value, but calgary did get a bit younger. For the now prince albert won this trade. For the future calgary won this trade. although Im surprised calgary would make a trade like this being one of the top teams.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
VERY shocked Oil Kings didn't move their guys... very odd.

Rumor had it Hansch was asking a kings ransom, but I figured he woulda lowered his asking price a bit to move them

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
-Everett trades Jaeger White to Brandon for a 2017 6th
-Red Deer trades Austin Adamson to Swift Current for 2017 8th
-Lethbridge trades Scott Allan to Calgary for 2017 7th

and Cole Sanford rumored to be dealt to Regina but no announcement yet

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
-Edmonton trades Garan Magnes to Seattle for a 2017 7th rounder
-Vancouver trades Kaeden Taphorn to Kootenay for a 2016 2nd rounder

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
-Regina trades Colton Kroeker to Lethbridge for a 2016 3rd

The Sanford deal is still unannounced but seems to be a done deal.

Hordichuk_24

Moving to surrey?

Did I miss something here?

Agree with almost all of the rest of the post.

That's the plan. An arena right near the sky train station. The coliseum isn't transit friendly and is very expensive to lease. With the Giants attendance way down the numbers aren't working for Toigo. So Surrey is their target. Nothing is official yet but if all goes as planned that is what will happen in a year or two.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
i cant believe regina gave up that much for a 20 year old. there barely squeaking into the playoffs. and they give up 2 prospects and 3 draft picks. med hat won that deal for sure.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site
It was a very quiet trade deadline. It is good news for the Western Conference because it looks like the East is Red Deers to lose, so who ever comes out of the West gets berth into the memorial cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad