2016 WHL Trade Deadline Thread

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Deadline is roughly a month away... I figured Id make a thread to keep track of all trades that happen from now until deadline passes. We will slowly start seeing some deals happening now and Im hoping people can post rumors too.

I noticed yesterday that Seattle just acquired 19 year old Josh Uhrich for a 2016 5th

euro35

Oct 31, 2009
I think Debrusk
will go next few days from what I hear to Red deer

Pollock will Go to Seattle from Edmonton
Farewell thinks he is close Hanch knows hes not

Philip from kootney to Hitmen for
Bensmiller

Point will go at dead line to Brandon
I have hear a few deal offered already been refused
Miller will hold out for optimiun assets.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think Debrusk
will go next few days from what I hear to Red deer

Pollock will Go to Seattle from Edmonton
Farewell thinks he is close Hanch knows hes not

Philip from kootney to Hitmen for
Bensmiller

Point will go at dead line to Brandon
I have hear a few deal offered already been refused
Miller will hold out for optimiun assets.

ya ive been hearing around the rinks that DeBrusk will be gone and itll be either Red Deer or Brandon that acquires him. The return will be HUGE

I think Seattle could acquire someone like Mayo from Edmonton. IMO they need a puck moving dman like him. I could even potentially see a Mayo/Pullock package to Seattle

I am unsure what will happen with Point... obviously teams will be asking but I just don't know if anyone can afford giving up such an insane return for him.

Last edited:

euro35

Oct 31, 2009
ya ive been hearing around the rinks that DeBrusk will be gone and itll be either Red Deer or Brandon that acquires him. The return will be HUGE

I think Seattle could acquire someone like Mayo from Edmonton. IMO they need a puck moving dman like him. I could even potentially see a Mayo/Pullock package to Seattle

I am unsure what will happen with Point... obviously teams will be asking but I just don't know if anyone can afford giving up such an insane return for him.

Agree With Brayden Point but if any team close now gets him they become

The team to beat! How often does a team like Red Deer get this close if they loose

without getting the best player than questions will be asked for years If you get him and loose you

can answer to your fan base. Brayden will dominate the 2016 whl playoffs whom ever it is for
I think if Moosejaw hangs on to him and makes some small tweeks they are close.

Hipfan

Nov 27, 2009
Any truth to sanheim's both to Brandon?

Hard to believe it while Calgary is still in the thick of the race - however, I guess if the return is right, I could see that happening. Like Mattheos and a 1st for Travis?

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Hard to believe it while Calgary is still in the thick of the race - however, I guess if the return is right, I could see that happening. Like Mattheos and a 1st for Travis?

For a few months of Sanheim? that return ain't happening so I would suspect he stays put.

I think there is a bigger chance of Virtanen being sent back to junior after WJ's, especially now that CGY is right there.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada

For some reason, the tweet bbcode isnt working.

"The @WHLHurricanes trade 17y/o forward Jaegar White to Everett for a 2017 6th round draft pick. White had 3pts in 23GP this season. #yql"

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

For some reason, the tweet bbcode isnt working.

"The @WHLHurricanes trade 17y/o forward Jaegar White to Everett for a 2017 6th round draft pick. White had 3pts in 23GP this season. #yql"

I can't believe the Huricanes would give up on White so early and for a 6th round pick, considering he was a high 1st round bantam pick.

MBJets

Dec 22, 2003
Visit site

I can't see the Wheat Kings paying the crazy price it would take to get Point or DeBrusk.

I could see the Wheat Kings in on a package of Mayo and Polluck package. Two playoff tested players. Plus the Wheat Kings have a very good young base that Kelly won't give up like Patrick, Clague, Mattheos, Kaspick and Guttenberg. Going after Point isn't necessary they have a good core of forwards but defence needs help. The loss of Pulon really hurt them.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I can't believe the Huricanes would give up on White so early and for a 6th round pick, considering he was a high 1st round bantam pick.

He was actually a 4th round pick in his draft... There was HUGE hype with him growing up but then he played in BWC in his draft year and was disappointing. He has since been very disappointing in his WHL career so far too. Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him. There were always rumors he wasn't the best teammate while in BWC and had quite the attitude... and that, mixed with his play that was below expectations is why he dropped in the draft... who knows, maybe that carried onto his WHL. Best of luck to him in Everett

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I can't see the Wheat Kings paying the crazy price it would take to get Point or DeBrusk.

I could see the Wheat Kings in on a package of Mayo and Polluck package. Two playoff tested players. Plus the Wheat Kings have a very good young base that Kelly won't give up like Patrick, Clague, Mattheos, Kaspick and Guttenberg. Going after Point isn't necessary they have a good core of forwards but defence needs help. The loss of Pulon really hurt them.

Ya I think itll be Red deer that acquires DeBrusk... or who knows, I never count out Kelowna making some sort of splash. Seems like this year there are only a few top players that everyone seems to be bidding on.....

Who are all that everyone is hearing could be moved? Ive heard some rumors of....

DeBrusk-Swift
Point - MJ(I feel nothing will happen due to the insane package a team would have to give, but you never know)
Mayo - Oil
Pullock - Oil
Cox - Van(ive heard his name a few times out of Vancouver)
Philip - Ktn
Martin - Swift
Butcher - Med
Lang - Van

*also Ive heard that depending on what happens over the next few weeks, Portland and Kamloops could unload a few guys.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am very curious what will happen with Tri-City this year. Got some good players who might be leaving next year, but they're only 5 points back from the wildcard position, granted it is Portland in that spot.

Do you try to make a run for it knowing some might leave you will get nothing for them? Or do you trade and build for next season? That's the question they need to answer. Swift Current is another team I see being in the same position, who have already been talked about.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
I am very curious what will happen with Tri-City this year. Got some good players who might be leaving next year, but they're only 5 points back from the wildcard position, granted it is Portland in that spot.

Do you try to make a run for it knowing some might leave you will get nothing for them? Or do you trade and build for next season? That's the question they need to answer. Swift Current is another team I see being in the same position, who have already been talked about.

You gotta think TC are sellers. Bowles should find a nice home.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
Bowles to Vancouver seems imminent

And then Lukin and Carlo to Brandon should complete the Tri-Cities transactions

Yep, seems they are set on making the playoffs, not sure it's smart (likely lose, maybe not even win a game?).

I just don;t think that will "Help" Benson and Co. that much.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
20 year old Avery Peterson from University of Omaha NCAA left the team. He is currently on Seattle's protected list. He is a 6th round pick of Minnesota Wild.

Unsure if anything will happen there, but something to keep an eye on. Him being a 20 year old may cause issue if he did want to play WHL

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
20 year old Avery Peterson from University of Omaha NCAA left the team. He is currently on Seattle's protected list. He is a 6th round pick of Minnesota Wild.

Unsure if anything will happen there, but something to keep an eye on. Him being a 20 year old may cause issue if he did want to play WHL
His brother is terminally ill, and he has left school to be with his family. He will be transfering to a different school closer to home. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

I'm with Fonzerelli in that I think you can rule out the WHL with Peterson and expect him to transfer to a Minnesota school. UMD and Bemidji are closest to his hometown, but his brother could be getting care in Minneapolis. FYI, background on Peterson and his brother:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad