WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
If Taffoli and Muzzin accept perhaps they can persuade Doughty to go on a three week spree in Petersburg. If they are a tight group and have no other commitments to young families they might enjoy a little road trip together to the cultural capital of Russia and 'Venice of the North'.
So who of the Blues/Hawks can we expect?

Last edited:

Macman

May 15, 2004
Toffoli/Muzzin. 1 or possibly both.

forget Doughty or Carter. Although I wish Doughty would go, but he has little interest in the IIHF annual spring tournament, and with being named to the World Cup team in September, Doughty will, in all likelihood, take a pass.

Last year in a response to a post I said, Crosby will never EVER EVER play in this tournament. The very next day Sid was in and on his way to Vienna to join the team. So, Doughty will never EVER EVER play in this tournament. There, that should do it.

Hopefully that will work. :laugh:

Getting Doughty would be a massive boost. Hopefully the lure of potentially joining the triple club like Crosby did last year will mean something to him.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Getting Doughty would be a massive boost. Hopefully the lure of potentially joining the triple gold club like Crosby did last year will mean something to him.

Don't you know, it's called the Montgomery Burns Award in the field of excellence awarded for winning awards Award. credit for the rebranding of that award goes to JackSlater.

but whatever motivates him, I'm fine with that. he had the chance at it last year if that was important to him, it wasn't. It's a long shot. I'm not optimistic about him accepting any invite.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Getting Doughty would be a massive boost. Hopefully the lure of potentially joining the triple club like Crosby did last year will mean something to him.

He had the exact same... incentive last year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Toffoli get an invite. I doubt they'll bother with Carter, now 30 and with the NHL's tournament in September. The might try Doughty but highly doubtful he would agree. Muzzin may go again.

The Florida - Islanders series is the big one for Hockey Canada.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Toffoli would be a good add. So would one of Ekblad/Hamonic/Doughty. Toffoli would be a very good winger for McDavid in my opinion. McDavid is like Crosby in the sense I feel he is better with players like Dupuis and Kunitz who will do anything to get him the puck and then they crash the net. Need strong board players with him, not so much snipers or fancy creative players.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Most realistic scenario would be Muzzin and Tiffoli. Then if could add Eklbad or Scandella, or De Haan, or maybe... Alzner :laugh:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Most realistic scenario would be Muzzin and Tiffoli. Then if could add Eklbad or Scandella, or De Haan, or maybe... Alzner :laugh:

Heh,Heh.

God, caps fans must be getting worried eh?

Going back to Phillys barn in front of a rabid crowd of brotherly lovers for game six.

Great stuff.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
He had the exact same... incentive last year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Toffoli get an invite. I doubt they'll bother with Carter, now 30 and with the NHL's tournament in September. The might try Doughty but highly doubtful he would agree. Muzzin may go again.

The Florida - Islanders series is the big one for Hockey Canada.

Of those two which one being eliminated would benefit Canada the most do you think?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Of those two which one being eliminated would benefit Canada the most do you think?

Probably the Islanders, assuming that Tavares would go. Without Tavares, then Florida due to Ekblad and maybe Huberdeau or Smith. This team needs another centre and some first pairing defencemen.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I think we might be a little deluded to think that Tavares would go. It would be freaking awesome if he does go assuming they go, but he's played a lot of hockey.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think we might be a little deluded to think that Tavares would go. It would be freaking awesome if he does go assuming they go, but he's played a lot of hockey.

He tends to be a gamer where Team Canada is concerned though.

There is a different vibe with Tavares I have always felt, like he is just a guy who really likes to be active and play hockey.

You don't get the feeling he gets tired of it. It still doesn't seem to have become a job to him yet.

I think he would agree to come over.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

He wanted to go last year once the Islanders were eliminated, but Hockey Canada told him no, no roster spot for him. They actually did have room as you are allowed a 25 man roster, but that would have meant asking another player to sit out. Schenn was already sitting out when Crosby joined.

If Hockey Canada were smart, (A BIG if) but if they were smart they would always save a roster spot for J.T., as he as said countless times, he would never turn down an opportunity to represent his country if available.

If HC believes that a 22 man roster is optimal, then you name up to 21 players until it is certain Tavares is available or not. If J.T. moves on to the next round then you just call up whoever is next on your list...we have a boatload of those guys, 20-22 year old B-C team players. they are easy to dig up.

Hockey Canada people should relay that kind of information on to the next incoming NHL GM in charge, but I don't think they do.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
I heard an interview with Scott Salmond at the U18 tournament a few days back. He was asked about what he thought of the team that has been assembled for the WC and it seemed to me he began making excuses right away. He first touched upon players not responding to invites because of injuries and prior commitments. Then it was all about the team being young but fast. (So a little warning to not expect too much from them). Lastly he said how difficult it is to play in Russia. I just got the feeling from the whole interview that they were just putting in an appearance to get the young guys some experience. I may be wrong but I don't recall him talking about doing everything to repeat. The Russian media is wall to wall coverage of the preparation of the national team with full expectations to win at home.
There is no talk on their media about there is no chance we get this guy or that guy after the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round. Once knocked out they are all automatically on their way to play for Russia. Datsyuk said he was on his way as soon as the Wings were knocked out.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I heard an interview with Scott Salmond at the U18 tournament a few days back. He was asked about what he thought of the team that has been assembled for the WC and it seemed to me he began making excuses right away. He first touched upon players not responding to invites because of injuries and prior commitments. Then it was all about the team being young but fast. (So a little warning to not expect too much from them). Lastly he said how difficult it is to play in Russia. I just got the feeling from the whole interview that they were just putting in an appearance to get the young guys some experience. I may be wrong but I don't recall him talking about doing everything to repeat. The Russian media is wall to wall coverage of the preparation of the national team with full expectations to win at home.
There is no talk on their media about there is no chance we get this guy or that guy after the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round. Once knocked out they are all automatically on their way to play for Russia. Datsyuk said he was on his way as soon as the Wings were knocked out.

Sounds about par for the course.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Russia is all in all the time for every IIHF spring Skodas, but they double their efforts when it is at home. The pressure is on, if they mess it up then I'll have fun reading all the Russian sport websites for a week. I won't get any work done at all...but they should be the most experienced and talented team there once either Malkin or the Washington crew shows up to give them a hand. Ovi and a few of his mates look to be in fine WHC form already.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
So someone just suggested that Nash is a possibility to go if the Rangers get eliminated. I actually think that would be a really good add for Canada. He wouldn't be relied upon to score, but he's a great veteran presence who has been there a lot.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
So someone just suggested that Nash is a possibility to go if the Rangers get eliminated. I actually think that would be a really good add for Canada. He wouldn't be relied upon to score, but he's a great veteran presence who has been there a lot.

For a B-level tournament, Nash would do just fine. and maybe he'd like to relive his Moscow '07 glory.

I think he could do some damage on McDavid's right wing.

not really interested in any other Ranger. Maybe Brassard if we are stuck and get a whole bunch of other rejections.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Russia is all in all the time for every IIHF spring Skodas, but they double their efforts when it is at home. The pressure is on, if they mess it up then I'll have fun reading all the Russian sport websites for a week. I won't get any work done at all...but they should be the most experienced and talented team there once either Malkin or the Washington crew shows up to give them a hand. Ovi and a few of his mates look to be in fine WHC form already.

Maybe because it is World Championships and not IIHF spring Skoda tournament.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Maybe because it is World Championships and not IIHF spring Skoda tournament.

It's hard to see it as a true "World Championship" because we can never send even close to our best team. In rare years we get to send superstars like Crosby, Giroux, Seguin.

I love this tournament, but that's the reality. Connor McDavid being there should help raise some more interest. You guys who haven't seen him live will be in for a real treat.

McDavid over/under on 20 points -- I'm taking the over. Even if Mr. W wants to doubt it :)

Should be a great tournament.

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
For a B-level tournament, Nash would do just fine. and maybe he'd like to relive his Moscow '07 glory.

I think he could do some damage on McDavid's right wing.

not really interested in any other Ranger. Maybe Brassard if we are stuck and get a whole bunch of other rejections.

haha i am on your lane so many NHL teams have so much B line players, thats why we dont want them in the WC:handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad