WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Meanwhile, Czech republic is preparing for over one month with about 6 preliminary games + against Canada, with the very similar roster that will face team Canada. :laugh:

That being said, can't wait for this game, I'll be there. Should be a great game even if it's only preliminary.

Will this be your first viewing of McDavid live and in color or did you catch him as a junior? Watching him live he's even more awe inspiring.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Will this be your first viewing of McDavid live and in color or did you catch him as a junior? Watching him live he's even more awe inspiring.

Yes, it will. :) First time for me to see McDavid play in person, what a chance! That's also one of the main reasons why I am so excited about it. I've obviously watched some Oilers games this season, but that's it. And obviously thousands of highlights.

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
Well you know how it is, it's only the Skodas!!

This is a European tournament, made for Europeans and catered to Europeans.

They actually think it's a big deal, we don't.

It is what it is.

Can you sound just little bit more arrogant ? think if all European players would say the same about the north American World cup, would that still be a great tournament then:sarcasm:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Can you sound just little bit more arrogant ? think if all European players would say the same about the north American World cup, would that still be a great tournament then:sarcasm:

Are you joking or just brand new here?

They have been saying the same thing and worse about the world cup since the day it was announced and I don't blame them.

There is hardly a European fan here who gives a toss about that thing.

Go read the threads on it, you'll see.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto

They have been saying the same thing and worse about the world cup since the day it was announced and I don't blame them.

Most North American fans here think the World Cup is garbage too.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Most North American fans here think the World Cup is garbage too.

Pretty much.

Everyone has been slagging it from day one.

If he thinks I am arrogant for voicing the importance the majority of North Americans give to the Skoda tournament he is gonna be breathless when he sees what European(and most) fans think about Bettmans World cup.

Great99

Apr 12, 2016

All european are doing care about good hockey tournaments no matter where there are held, no matter what rules, no matter the time difference , i really don't understand why you always feel need of talk bad about the Worlds, actually i think you are from USA then it will give meaning for me

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
All european are doing care about good hockey tournaments no matter where there are held, no matter what rules, no matter the time difference , i really don't understand why you always feel need of talk bad about the Worlds, actually i think you are from USA then it will give meaning for me

O.K. :laugh:

Best laugh I've had today, and I needed it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It is in Prague, O2 Arena where Canada won Gold Medals one year ago. :) I think you will easily find some streams but who knows. Should be sold-out, 17/18k people.

Beautiful arena. Czech fans are great, that was an awesome tournament last year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For how much everyone wants to mock the World Cup, the quality of hockey and players in it will be better than the World Championship. I think it is gimmicky too, but I can guarantee that it will be a very high level of hockey.

Having said that, I love the World Championships and hope Canada defends the gold.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I love the WHC too, been watching it since I was a kid.

But in North America only hardcore fans like us care about it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I love the WHC too, been watching it since I was a kid.

But in North America only hardcore fans like us care about it.

It's true, we simply don't care about it. It's too bad because it's good hockey and a great atmosphere at these tournaments.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
For how much everyone wants to mock the World Cup, the quality of hockey and players in it will be better than the World Championship. I think it is gimmicky too, but I can guarantee that it will be a very high level of hockey.

Having said that, I love the World Championships and hope Canada defends the gold.

Yeah this is true.

The tournaments people pick to support and not support are kinda funny. Like people go crazy for the WJC here, but the quality of the hockey is not as good as the WHC. There are a lot more dramatics in the WJC because of the emotions of young kids, and big comebacks and such, but the actual skill level and hockey smarts are not the same.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah this is true.

The tournaments people pick to support and not support are kinda funny. Like people go crazy for the WJC here, but the quality of the hockey is not as good as the WHC. There are a lot more dramatics in the WJC because of the emotions of young kids, and big comebacks and such, but the actual skill level and hockey smarts are not the same.

It's the emotions and swings you see in a game that make the WJC special. The kids haven't had the creativity coached out of them yet.

team canada fan

Apr 11, 2016
Northern Ontario
but what am I saying, we didn't even have a victory parade for Vancouver or Sochi. Or did I just miss it?

in July of 2010, at Commonwealth stadium where the Esks play, they marched out our Vancouver golden boys....was pretty cool to see them all in their summer street stuff and the atmosphere was very party like.
About the 15000th party though after all the bars and street parties from end of February, through June

was in Quebec city in 2008 for WHC's. The atmosphere was amazing. People in Canada do care about WHC, especially when they are held here in Canada! I've been to Russia over 20 times and speak Russian and Ukrainian. Next month, the atmosphere will be passionate and hockey crazy!
was in Hamilton for the WC finals in 1991. Even crazier, louder atmosphere, than in Quebec city in 2008. People did care! A LOT of them!
I am sure in September, we'll all care once again, and even the Jay fans will glance over at the other screen and yell out loud every time we score!

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
You couldn't help but make me laugh with that post.

if you read the other comments of this side about the Wju, then maybe you will understand my point, or i hope becuase Canada family wise love the WJU so much awesome right?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yes, it will. :) First time for me to see McDavid play in person, what a chance! That's also one of the main reasons why I am so excited about it. I've obviously watched some Oilers games this season, but that's it. And obviously thousands of highlights.

Cool. I hope Hockey Canada gets a few more players over to give him the proper support... there's only so much a 19 year old can do on his own...well, not completely alone, but close enough.

it would be cool if there's a future Jaromir Yagr in attendance. Jagr likes to tell the story of when he first saw Lemieux in Prague at the '85 WHC.

just for reference, Lemieux had 10 pts in 9 games that year. 4 goals 6 helpers. I'll be disappointed if McDavid doesn't shatter that stat line.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Cool. I hope Hockey Canada gets a few more players over to give him the proper support... there's only so much a 19 year old can do on his own...well, not completely alone, but close enough.

it would be cool if there's a future Jaromir Yagr in attendance. Jagr likes to tell the story of when he first saw Lemieux in Prague at the '85 WHC.

just for reference, Lemieux had 10 pts in 9 games that year. 4 goals 6 helpers. I'll be disappointed if McDavid doesn't shatter that stat line.

McDavid is going to dominate this tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
McDavid is going to dominate this tournament.

I expect as much. but I'm still taking the under on 20 pts until I see what sort of reinforcements we got coming. but not too far under. 20 pts is predicated on playing the max number of games...and to do that he needs a team good enough to get there.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Which Kings will go?

Toffoli/Muzzin. 1 or possibly both.

forget Doughty or Carter. Although I wish Doughty would go, but he has little interest in the IIHF annual spring tournament, and with being named to the World Cup team in September, Doughty will, in all likelihood, take a pass.

Last year in a response to a post I said, Crosby will never EVER EVER play in this tournament. The very next day Sid was in and on his way to Vienna to join the team. So, Doughty will never EVER EVER play in this tournament. There, that should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad