WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
After a WJC disappointment, time to turn our attention to the upcoming WHC in St. Petersburg/Moscow and defending last year's gold.

Potential roster of players from teams not making POs or eliminated in the 1st.rd.

Teams are permitted 25 roster spots, 3 goaltenders and 22 skaters that can be added at anytime in the tournament. Hockey Canada generally never names the full 25 player roster. HC doesn't generally like bringing extra bodies to Europe just to sit around and watch from the press-box.

They were a little trigger happy last year in naming the forwards...when Tavares became available and wanted to play there was no room for him. So, let's hope they save a spot or 2 up until the last minute in the event a significant player becomes available.

(best case scenario discounting injury/player rejecting invites and all the other blah blah nonsense)

And even though Stamkos looks like he'll be available, there's no chance he plays without a contract for next year, so I left him off any potential roster.

T HALL J TAVARES J EBERLE
M HOFFMAN R O’REILLY C GIROUX
M DUCHENE C MCDAVID N MACKINNON
A HENRIQUE S COUTURIER B LITTLE

S MONAHAN

M GIORDANO B BURNS
T.J. BRODIE P.K. SUBBAN
M.E. VLASIC T BARRIE
M RIELLY

C PRICE
MAF
M JONES

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
After a WJC disappointment, time to turn our attention to the upcoming WHC in St. Petersburg/Moscow and defending last year's gold.

Potential roster of players from teams not making POs or eliminated in the 1st.rd.

Teams are permitted 25 roster spots, 3 goaltenders and 22 skaters that can be added at anytime in the tournament. Hockey Canada generally never names the full 25 player roster. HC doesn't generally like bringing extra bodies to Europe just to sit around and watch from the press-box.

They were a little trigger happy last year in naming the forwards...when Tavares became available and wanted to play there was no room for him. So, let's hope they save a spot or 2 up until the last minute in the event a significant player becomes available.

(best case scenario discounting injury/player rejecting invites and all the other blah blah nonsense)

And even though Stamkos looks like he'll be available, there's no chance he plays without a contract for next year, so I left him off any potential roster.

S MONAHAN

M GIORDANO B BURNS
T.J. BRODIE P.K. SUBBAN
M.E. VLASIC T BARRIE
M RIELLY

C PRICE
MAF
M JONES

And not too soon to think about the canadian roster?
It is not clear who will not get into the playoffs?:)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
And not too soon to think about the canadian roster?
It is not clear who will not get into the playoffs?:)

There's some speculation on my part, but I don't think it's too soon to predict which teams will make the POs and which won't...and which teams will be eliminated early. A few names will change over the course of the next few months though.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Duchene - Monahan - Couture
Hall - McDavid - Bennett
Domi - Reinhart - Duclair
Horvat - McCann - Marner

Vlasic - Burns
Murray - Rielly
Brodie - Giordano

Mason
Reimer

Going young....let the teams that miss playoffs get the shoot.....they will have long time to prepare.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

S MONAHAN

M GIORDANO B BURNS
T.J. BRODIE P.K. SUBBAN
M.E. VLASIC T BARRIE
M RIELLY

C PRICE
MAF
M JONES

Mark Stone would look great at RW on one of those top two lines. I also don't think Giroux will make the trip two years in a row, but that's speculation on my part.

In terms of our World Cup team, has there ever been a worse year for top-end Canadian talent? Patrice Bergeron (and I love the guy) is 4th in scoring amongst Canadians, while Mike Hoffman and Mike Cammalleri are tied for 5th. Getzlaf sitting at 3 measly goals....I didn't realize it was this bad until I checked the scoring leaders this morning.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Mark Stone would look great at RW on one of those top two lines. I also don't think Giroux will make the trip two years in a row, but that's speculation on my part.

In terms of our World Cup team, has there ever been a worse year for top-end Canadian talent? Patrice Bergeron (and I love the guy) is 4th in scoring amongst Canadians, while Mike Hoffman and Mike Cammalleri are tied for 5th. Getzlaf sitting at 3 measly goals....I didn't realize it was this bad until I checked the scoring leaders this morning.

Giroux is my preference for now, but if players like Giroux decline invites (and understandable if he does) then I have the two Ottawa players stepping in (Turris/Stone) to make a fairly decent 3rd line with Hoffman. The Avs duo with McDavid moves up.

Ya, there are a whole bunch of A team players having subpar seasons. But I'm not particularly concerned with the outcome of the World Cup.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Giroux is my preference for now, but if players like Giroux decline invites (and understandable if he does) then I have the two Ottawa players stepping in (Turris/Stone) to make a fairly decent 3rd line with Hoffman. The Avs duo with McDavid moves up.

Ya, there are a whole bunch of A team players having subpar seasons. But I'm not particularly concerned with the outcome of the World Cup.

I prefer Stone over Eberle as well, but time will tell. I don't particularly care about this upcoming World Cup either, but with the conservative management group and coaching staff in place it will likely be the last kick at the can for the Olympic veterans like Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Nash, maybe Bergeron. My preference instead would be to use this tournament instead as an opportunity to test some of the younger guys in international competition, though acknowledging that we're limited by the stupid format of the tournament (i.e., no McDavid or MacKinnon on Team Canada). In essence, project out a bit what our 2018 Olympics team should look like, and put some of those pieces in place now. That would be the best outcome from this otherwise meaningless tournament.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I prefer Stone over Eberle as well, but time will tell. I don't particularly care about this upcoming World Cup either, but with the conservative management group and coaching staff in place it will likely be the last kick at the can for the Olympic veterans like Getzlaf, Perry, Carter, Nash, maybe Bergeron. My preference instead would be to use this tournament instead as an opportunity to test some of the younger guys in international competition, though acknowledging that we're limited by the stupid format of the tournament (i.e., no McDavid or MacKinnon on Team Canada). In essence, project out a bit what our 2018 Olympics team should look like, and put some of those pieces in place now. That would be the best outcome from this otherwise meaningless tournament.

Well, Eberle did play well in Prague last year, and given he has some history of success with Tavares, I'd like to give that a look-see.

Other than Carter, I don't think any of those players will see a 2018 Olympics. and even Carter is iffy. The only good thing about the World Cup is that it will be clear that it's time to move on from the Vancouver/Sochi core.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Well, Eberle did play well in Prague last year, and given he has some history of success with Tavares, I'd like to give that a look-see.

Other than Carter, I don't think any of those players will see a 2018 Olympics. and even Carter is iffy. The only good thing about the World Cup is that it will be clear that it's time to move on from the Vancouver/Sochi core.

Fair enough, I've never have been much of an Eberle fan but that's probably just me.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Fair enough, I've never have been much of an Eberle fan but that's probably just me.

An A team player he is not. and never will be. but he's a good option for the B team and the annual IIHF thingy...

So, I'm ok with Eberle with Hall and a dynamic smart center. Sid last year. possibly J.T. this year.

I hope McLennan is up to the task again.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

If they win the world cup will they be able to see by 2018 that it is time to move on from that vancouver/sochi core though?

A little bit worried about that.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

S MONAHAN

M GIORDANO B BURNS
T.J. BRODIE P.K. SUBBAN
M.E. VLASIC T BARRIE
M RIELLY

C PRICE
MAF
M JONES

lol, this line-up would be basically unbeatable, given to standards and quality of teams on WC. We will see, but I expect another strong, high-end roster for team Canada, can't wait. :)

It will be interesting to see if top players who won the gold last year will accept invitation to play again this year (if they are available).

It will be even more interesting because it will be played in Russia. Russia will do everything to win the gold on home WC. They will be under INTENSE pressure.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If they win the world cup will they be able to see by 2018 that it is time to move on from that vancouver/sochi core though?

that's a fair point...could be a repeat of the 2004 World Cup 2006 Olympics.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
lol, this line-up would be basically unbeatable, given to standards and quality of teams on WC. We will see, but I expect another strong, high-end roster for team Canada, can't wait. :)

It will be interesting to see if top players who won the gold last year will accept invitation to play again this year (if they are available).

It will be even more interesting because it will be played in Russia. Russia will do everything to win the gold on home WC. They will be under intense pressure.

that depends on coaching and motivation. but I do hope we make another solid run at this year.

86Habs

May 4, 2009

We're in dangerous territory going into the 2016 / 2018 cycle with Armstrong at the helm and Babcock as head coach (at least for 2016). We saw in 2006 what happens when Gretzky and Quinn went to the well one too many times. While I fully expect a World Cup victory for Team Canada this coming fall, doing so with the Vancouver/Sochi veterans would perhaps only entrench the loyalty to those players even further.

That's why I would have liked to have seen Hockey Canada approach the World Cup as a sort of development tourney...bring in a new coach (McLellan fits the bill perfectly), hand the reins over to Seguin, Tavares, Hall and Benn, take a look at guys like Brodie, Schwartz, Gallagher, Stone, Toffoli. Of course it would have been nice to have McDavid and MacKinnon available too, but cet la vis.

I guess the positive news is that Babcock has been an excellent head coach for us over the course of his career in pretty much all aspects (usage of Chris Kunitz in 2014 notwithstanding), so if he is named head coach of the 2018 team I trust that he would adapt accordingly.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We're in dangerous territory going into the 2016 / 2018 cycle with Armstrong at the helm and Babcock as head coach (at least for 2016). We saw in 2006 what happens when Gretzky and Quinn went to the well one too many times. While I fully expect a World Cup victory for Team Canada this coming fall, doing so with the Vancouver/Sochi veterans would perhaps only entrench the loyalty to those players even further.

That's why I would have liked to have seen Hockey Canada approach the World Cup as a sort of development tourney...bring in a new coach (McLellan fits the bill perfectly), hand the reins over to Seguin, Tavares, Hall and Benn, take a look at guys like Brodie, Schwartz, Gallagher, Stone, Toffoli. Of course it would have been nice to have McDavid and MacKinnon available too, but cet la vis.

I guess the positive news is that Babcock has been an excellent head coach for us over the course of his career in pretty much all aspects (usage of Chris Kunitz in 2014 notwithstanding), so if he is named head coach of the 2018 team I trust that he would adapt accordingly.

I would assume Seguin,Tavares, Hall and Benn are going to be there this world cup.While I like your idea of using this World cup as a developmental tourney there is just no way the Canadian public would go for that at all and hence why it won't happen. Gimmicky as this upcoming thing may be as long as it says "world Cup" on it then Canadian fans and media are going to be demanding victory and the roster will be picked accordingly.

It's hard to argue against Babcock for being coach in 2018 at this point, with his masterly work at vancouver and sochi and his good work with the Leafs thus far. But we should keep an eye on him I think, making sure he is still up to the task by the time 2018 rolls around.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I would assume Seguin,Tavares, Hall and Benn are going to be there this world cup.While I like your idea of using this World cup as a developmental tourney there is just no way the Canadian public would go for that at all and hence why it won't happen. Gimmicky as this upcoming thing may be as long as it says "world Cup" on it then Canadian fans and media are going to be demanding victory and the roster will be picked accordingly.

It's hard to argue against Babcock for being coach in 2018 at this point, with his masterly work at vancouver and sochi and his good work with the Leafs thus far. But we should keep an eye on him I think, making sure he is still up to the task by the time 2018 rolls around.

Oh, I have no doubt those guys will be on the team. I just want to see them in prominent roles, leading the offense.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
HALL STAMKOS EBERLE
HOFFMAN CROSBY STONE
Perry-GEZLAF- MACKINNON
COUTURIER- MCDAVID-O’REILLY
COUTURE

GIORDANO BURNS
T.J. BRODIE -LETANG
T BARRIE- DEL ZOTTO

MAF
M JONES
MASON

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Oh please, no Getzlaf and Perry anymore. Doubt that they would want to go, anyway. No way that Mason would go there to be the 3rd goalie. He would definitely want to be starter or at least to be in 1A / 1B situation.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Seems like a valid concern. The Rick Nash pick in 2014, despite him having a horrible season at the time, indicates a strong preference for the familiar among the current Canadian group.

Probably not is my guess. Most of them have already been there, done that. Plus there is the spectre of the NHL's World Cup looming at the other end of summer, already shortening the summer for select players. I can't imagine any Canadian outside of possibly Tavares agreeing to play in the 2015 WC if they are already named to the preliminary NHL World Cup roster. Who knows if the players who are not named will be motivated to prove themselves to Hockey Canada.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Probably not is my guess. Most of them have already been there, done that. Plus there is the spectre of the NHL's World Cup looming at the other end of summer, already shortening the summer for select players. I can't imagine any Canadian outside of possibly Tavares agreeing to play in the 2015 WC if they are already named to the preliminary NHL World Cup roster. Who knows if the players who are not named will be motivated to prove themselves to Hockey Canada.

Yes, that's very true. I didn't realize how close it is from WHC to World Cup. But I think it's very good opportunity for players who are not yet nominated to World Cup (but still could be later) to show themselves.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014

S MONAHAN

M GIORDANO B BURNS
T.J. BRODIE P.K. SUBBAN
M.E. VLASIC T BARRIE
M RIELLY

C PRICE
MAF
M JONES

Mr writer

I guarantee you one thing

If price is available he will NOT GO

And i will say this:

Im almost certain he will not go to the world cup

All this due to his current injury

So. I think holtby will be the number one for the wirld cup

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Mr writer

I guarantee you one thing

If price is available he will NOT GO

And i will say this:

Im almost certain he will not go to the world cup

All this due to his current injury

So. I think holtby will be the number one for the wirld cup

And I guaranteed last year that Sid would never ever ever EVER play in the WHC again. 3 days later Sid made the call himself...so the only guarantee I feel safe in making is that Sid won't play 2 years in a row.

but Price does seem to have nagging injury concerns this year. if that's the case, MAF has seem to have played well enough and for long enough now, that I'm ok with him suiting up for Canada again...and he may believe there could be a spot for him on the World Cup team if he performs well. motivation.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If Price misses out on the majority of the year and the Habs don't make playoffs, don't you'd think he'd want a chance to go into the summer on top?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad