WC: 2016 Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great99

Apr 12, 2016
It's hard to see it as a true "World Championship" because we can never send even close to our best team. In rare years we get to send superstars like Crosby, Giroux, Seguin.

I love this tournament, but that's the reality. Connor McDavid being there should help raise some more interest. You guys who haven't seen him live will be in for a real treat.

McDavid over/under on 20 points -- I'm taking the over. Even if Mr. W wants to doubt it :)

Should be a great tournament.

Do canada not have the debth to send like 3 teams that could win the olympics? yea they have so stop at least as a canadian to talk about a B team , canada named 60 players for there last pre olympics roster

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Do canada not have the debth to send like 3 teams that could win the olympics? yea they have so stop at least as a canadian to talk about a B team , canada named 60 players for there last pre olympics roster

They probably could send 2 or 3, yeah.

If Canada adds 2 more top pairing Dmen, they should be the favourites to repeat for Gold.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Maybe because it is World Championships and not IIHF spring Skoda tournament.

We could get into it, but that would be OT for a Canadian roster thread, so no point really. It's not like I dislike the tournament, I happen to enjoy it for what it is, and I attended 3 when I was living the expat life for 7 years in Europe...I enjoy it more when we win it, but in the end it is an interesting mid-afternoon distraction leading up to that evening's NHL playoff action... whatever I think of the tournament, or whatever title I attach to it shouldn't really have any impact on you, or anybody else for that matter, on how you view the tournament. If you think it's the bee's knees, the butter on the bread, then that's your opinion.

I hope we have a few more solid A-list additions to the roster and not just go through the motions...which, according to the Scott Salmond interview, (still haven't heard it though) seems to be HC's M.O. this year. Get in and out, play an elimination game, get everybody home in 1 piece, there are bigger fish to fry. Although, with the era of NHL Olympics looking like it's almost certainly coming to an end...not sure what bigger fish there are to fry. The NHL World Cup with it's ridiculous gimmicky format? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
We could get into it, but that would be OT for a Canadian roster thread, so no point really. It's not like I dislike the tournament, I happen to enjoy it for what it is, and I attended 3 when I was living the expat life for 7 years in Europe...I enjoy it more when we win it, but in the end it is an interesting mid-afternoon distraction leading up to that evening's NHL playoff action... whatever I think of the tournament, or whatever title I attach to it shouldn't really have any impact on you, or anybody else for that matter, on how you view the tournament. If you think it's the bee's knees, the butter on the bread, then that's your opinion.

I hope we have a few more solid A-list additions to the roster and not just go through the motions...which, according to the Scott Salmond interview, (still haven't heard it though) seems to be HC's M.O. this year. Get in and out, play an elimination game, get everybody home in 1 piece, there are bigger fish to fry. Although, with the era of NHL Olympics looking like it's almost certainly coming to an end...not sure what bigger fish there are to fry. The NHL World Cup with it's ridiculous gimmicky format? I don't think so.

While Hockey Canada's people must take responsibility for not getting the very best players together for the WC I certainly shake my head at how Calgary's GM did not deliver one of his guys. What does that say to the rest of the NHL guys?

I have also seen PK Subban on various social media having the time of his life out and about. Not so sure he is still not 100%. If Giardano, Brodie and PK were going the two A Defensemen we are waiting for would not even be in question.

Nil last year delivered Spezza, Seguin, Eakin and almost Benn who was not cleared by doctors. But Calgary GM delivers, well, nil.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Man I would be so happy if Nash joined the team :) :) I just love him as a player, and I think he would be perfect fit for McDavid.. he can play RW/LW, he can shoot, pass, play defense and be physical...

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
While Hockey Canada's people must take responsibility for not getting the very best players together for the WC I certainly shake my head at how Calgary's GM did not deliver one of his guys. What does that say to the rest of the NHL guys?

I have also seen PK Subban on various social media having the time of his life out and about. Not so sure he is still not 100%. If Giardano, Brodie and PK were going the two A Defensemen we are waiting for would not even be in question.

Nil last year delivered Spezza, Seguin, Eakin and almost Benn who was not cleared by doctors. But Calgary GM delivers, well, nil.

This sort of reminds of when Hockey Canada got Mark Messier to be the GM in 2010...because who can say no to the "Greatest Captain and leader in Pro Sports?"...and in the end it was a team of a lot of 19 and 20 year olds... interesting to note, the 2010 team had a better d-corp than this one currently. better forwards though on this year's team despite trending a bit too young for my liking. But we'll see where it goes.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I hope they don't go with Nash. The guy just isn't that good anymore, and Canada already has very good two way wingers this year. There's also little to indicate that Nash is much of a leader. Time to move on from Nash.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I hope they don't go with Nash. The guy just isn't that good anymore, and Canada already has very good two way wingers this year. There's also little to indicate that Nash is much of a leader. Time to move on from Nash.
Disagreed. He was pretty solid against the Penguins and he still has the skills. I don't know if he's as dangerous as last year when he scored a little over 40 goals (btw), but his overall play and experience would help this team. He can still be a factor, no doubt.

But the question is whether they rather take someone like Toffoli or Neal, which is likely imo - if they decide they want to go. Still too much hockey ahead though. The Islanders are not done yet (far from that), the Flyers are not done yet, and I can imagine that Hockey Canada wouldn't mind getting one of Giroux/Tavares.

Rick Nash is not among the TOP3 guys we could get, obviously, but he wouldn't be a bad option in any way.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

3 teams maybe? But only 1 would have a gold medal chance.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
3 teams maybe? But only 1 would have a gold medal chance.

If Sweden could get a silver with the team they had last olympics and Finland a bronze with the squad they brought a Canadian B team could win Gold with a good team system and quality goaltending over the course of 2 weeks.

The difference between gold or no Gold in International hockey is very small.

A Canadian B team would not win gold very often but once in awhile it could certainly pull it off.

Far stranger things have happened, you just have to look at the miracle on ice in 1980 to realize that.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Our B team would be as much gold-medal favourite as Sweden or USA are. Anyone thinking otherwise must be stucked in the logic that because our A team had "problems" with Latvia or Finland, or we just barely beat the US in OT in Vancouver, it means that B team would do worse. That's not how it works, otherwise you would see Latvia beating Sweden. That B roster would include players like Thornton, Letang, Spezza, Pietrangelo, Duchene, Giordano, Neal, Hall, Brodie, Luongo, Fleury, or maybe even Giroux. Never mind the coaching stuff that would be elite. I'll say this - Marchand-Couture-Toffoli could be the fourth line there, while Muzzin-Pietrangelo could be third D-pair. That depth is comparable to the A teams of Sweden or US, and is better than Russian one.

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I dought it.

McDavid will lead this tournament in scoring, just like Crosby did in his rookie year. Sid had 8 goals 8 assists to lead the tourney in '06. I say McDavid does better than that. some posters are taking 20+ pts. but I think that is a bit of a stretch.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Well, there goes Tavares, at least for now.

Cmon Ekblad, join the tribe.

For now? Canada doesn't add players once the tournament is in progress unless it's an emergency injury replacement, otherwise they'll pick 22-23 players at that's it.

J.T. would have been a big add, but I'd much rather see him go on a long playoff run.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
T HALL C MCDAVID B GALLAGHER
B MARCHAND M DUCHENE T TOFFOLI/R SMITH/R NASH
B JENNER R O’REILLY M STONE
J HUBERDEAU M SCHIEFELE S REINHART

T DOMI

M SCANDELLA A EKBLAD
M RIELLY J SPURGEON/R ELLIS
R MURRAY C TANEV
B HUTTON C CECI

C TALBOT
C PICARD

If Taffoli says no, then Reilly Smith would be decent add...if Smith says no, then we are left with Nash.

If both Minnesota D-men refuse, then, hope for a Preds loss and Ryan Ellis becoming available... enjoy a 1/4 game elimination game, because that's as far as we get this year.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
optimistic scenario

HALL C MCDAVID Carter
MARCHAND M DUCHENE GALLAGHER
O’REILLY Giroux STONE
J ENNER SCHIEFELE - Toffolli/Nash/Smith/Schwartz
REINHART
T DOMI

Doughty Muzzin
RIELLY Pietrangelo/Seabrook
MURRAY TANEV
CECI
HUTTON

Luongo/Crawford/ Elliott
TALBOT
Pickar

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Would much rather see Schenn than Huberdeau.

Ya, but I'd rather see R Smith on RW than Schenn.

I'd much rather see Schwartz on LW than Huberdeau...I forgot about St. Louis Chicago awaiting a 7th game.

But, in all honesty, there are only 6 players currently named to the roster that I agree with anyway....so, it is what it is.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The biggest realistic pickups at this point would be something like Johansen, Schwartz and Pietrangelo, and we don't even know if those guys will be available. Rielly Smith is someone that I can see getting the call after a few hot games in the first round, though the team doesn't really need wingers.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
Ya, but I'd rather see R Smith on RW than Schenn.

I'd much rather see Schwartz on LW than Huberdeau...I forgot about St. Louis Chicago awaiting a 7th game.

But, in all honesty, there are only 6 players currently named to the roster that I agree with anyway....so, it is what it is.

Curious who the six players are that you agree with being put on the team?

Also what happened to the not so subtle threat that if a guy was on the bubble for the World Cup team he better show up in Russia? Seems to me a lot of bubble boys are not taking this too seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad