WC: 2016 Team Canada Pt. II

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I actually thought Perry played well yesterday, he was generating some serious chances.

I think scoring is hard to do because a team like Finland really know how to eliminate chances on this big ice, which continues to show why it's bad for hockey. If all you have to do is defend a small triangle in the neutral zone to 10 feet on either side of the goalie. At some point Canadian teams will learn to do this too.

Yesterday just proved how much being a young team can hurt you. They fell apart completely once they were down, and somehow an 18 year old got into our heads. Why was McDavid chirping a player from the other team? Talbot for sure let in 3 softies, which broke the team confidence in them, it became a scramble in our own zone as soon as they couldn't count on him to make a save.

Also their zone entries on the PP completely changed.

IF, IF they can go back to what they do well they will win some more games, but if they can't regain their nerves for the next game, they're done. Also, I'd start Pickard.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The problem with Team Canada is we have too many stars. It's like an All Star game when everyone starts to pass the puck more than they should.

I would like to see D get more engaged. Taking rush not just passing the puck along the boards.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hall has one again been Canada's outright best player at world's. 13 goals in last 16 games. With good D he cleans up. I think he could rival Stamkos (the good version) with good D

Should make the WC team and Olympic team. He just produces for Canada

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I actually thought Perry played well yesterday, he was generating some serious chances.

I think scoring is hard to do because a team like Finland really know how to eliminate chances on this big ice, which continues to show why it's bad for hockey. If all you have to do is defend a small triangle in the neutral zone to 10 feet on either side of the goalie. At some point Canadian teams will learn to do this too.

Yesterday just proved how much being a young team can hurt you. They fell apart completely once they were down, and somehow an 18 year old got into our heads. Why was McDavid chirping a player from the other team? Talbot for sure let in 3 softies, which broke the team confidence in them, it became a scramble in our own zone as soon as they couldn't count on him to make a save.

Also their zone entries on the PP completely changed.

IF, IF they can go back to what they do well they will win some more games, but if they can't regain their nerves for the next game, they're done. Also, I'd start Pickard.

That's pretty much it. Talbot and youth lost them the game. Not a huge deal.

The problem with Team Canada is we have too many stars. It's like an All Star game when everyone starts to pass the puck more than they should.

Nope, more talent would improve the team. Look at the Canadian Olympic teams, or the World Championship team last year.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I will say this as far as talent, it's always better to have more talent, but at this point, we don't seem to have any chemistry between our talent.

The D-pairs don't seem to get along, and aside from a couple forwards, there isn't much cohesion yet, which I think is as big a worry as the inexperience/youth.

At this point it's almost worth putting them in a blender for tomorrows game. It honestly can't be worse then yesterday.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
I am surprised by McDavid's lack of production thus far in the tournament. Zero goals is surprising.

Yes he does have 7 assists in 7 games. Panarin has 7 assists too... plus 5 goals.

I know this tournament is a small sample size and doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things but the way people went on about McDavid when it came to the Calder race and saying how he would have scored like 100 points and blown Panarin out of the water if he had played a full season.... so you would be expecting McDavid to completely dominate everyone in a tournament like this.

What happened?

If only McDavid had 7 pro years playing on this ice surface...:sarcasm:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Thank you!

So, will it be 1/4 final flameout like I predicted 6 weeks ago with this roster, or will this young and inexperienced roster/team find some composure and the needed stones to win a few more this go 'round...

Sure wish they could have found room to bring Tavares over...but oh well...certainly wouldn't want to hurt Reinhart's feelings in sending him to the pressbox.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am surprised by McDavid's lack of production thus far in the tournament. Zero goals is surprising.

Yes he does have 7 assists in 7 games. Panarin has 7 assists too... plus 5 goals.

I know this tournament is a small sample size and doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things but the way people went on about McDavid when it came to the Calder race and saying how he would have scored like 100 points and blown Panarin out of the water if he had played a full season.... so you would be expecting McDavid to completely dominate everyone in a tournament like this.

What happened?

Panarin had 5 points in a 10-1 blowout of Denmark?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
They went back to the previous top two lines, moved Scheifele to third centre (O'Reilly over to wing) and Reinhart to fourth line centre. Gallagher down to fourth RW. These moves are good. It didn't make sense to shift around a functional top six to "get McDavid going". It sounded like Canada's wasted efforts to "get Crosby going", which i not what the point of these tournaments is.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
They went back to the previous top two lines, moved Scheifele to third centre (O'Reilly over to wing) and Reinhart to fourth line centre. Gallagher down to fourth RW. These moves are good. It didn't make sense to shift around a functional top six to "get McDavid going". It sounded like Canada's wasted efforts to "get Crosby going", which i not what the point of these tournaments is.

Moving Brassard to the 4th line and Reinhart as the 13th. forward would be the better move....

but they should get by Sweden today regardless of line combinations and TOI.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Moving Brassard to the 4th line and Reinhart as the 13th. forward would be the better move....

but they should get by Sweden today regardless of line combinations and TOI.

Brassard has been good. His line deserves to be the top line based on play thus far. Reinhart has also been perfectly fine. Certainly better than Gallagher and Domi.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Brassard has been good. His line deserves to be the top line based on play thus far. Reinhart has also been perfectly fine. Certainly better than Gallagher and Domi.

when you pick perhaps your 5th best center to center the top line = that's a losing strategy imo. but coach Peters, the Babcock disciple knows best.

Gallagher has been awful...agreed and should be a lot better. Reinhart has been useless, Domi next to useless, but I expected as much the moment the two were named to the team. Hope to see them at this tournament in 3 years time though. They'll be good then. for now...useless.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
when you pick perhaps your 5th best center to center the top line = that's a losing strategy imo. but coach Peters, the Babcock disciple knows best.

Gallagher has been awful...agreed and should be a lot better. Reinhart has been useless, Domi next to useless, but I expected as much the moment the two were named to the team. Hope to see them at this tournament in 3 years time though. They'll be good then. for now...useless.

Brassard has been good. He has not played like the fifth best centre, and that is what matters. For instance, Brassard has been better than McDavid thus far, and deserves to be ahead of him on the depth chart for the time being. Reinhart has also been fine, not useless.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Brassard has been good. He has not played like the fifth best centre, and that is what matters. For instance, Brassard has been better than McDavid thus far, and deserves to be ahead of him on the depth chart for the time being. Reinhart has also been fine, not useless.

potato PAtato. Agree to disagree. imo useless. too bad Fabbri is busy. Although Fabbri is getting better and more valuable reps where he is and doing what he's doing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So losing to Finland got us team USA in the Semi finals instead of Russia. Puck luck like but on a much grander scale. :amazed:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
From the half game that I saw, I find it funny that Canada's best line (Scheifele, O'Reilly, Stone) is also the line that would traditionally not work internationally. Goes to show that brains and hockey sense count for more than speed does when it comes to transferring to the larger ice surface.

Also, Gallagher looks terrible.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Having doubts doesn't mean you are off the bandwagon. It's good to be humbled sometimes and we were absolutely humbled. I'm happy with the bounce back performance, in particular I thought Talbot played great.

Glad the guys pulled through, they are going to need a similar effort to beat the Americans.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Having doubts doesn't mean you are off the bandwagon. It's good to be humbled sometimes and we were absolutely humbled. I'm happy with the bounce back performance, in particular I thought Talbot played great.

Glad the guys pulled through, they are going to need a similar effort to beat the Americans.

Maybe the players needed a humbling but the majority of the fans here didn't, we saw the warts this team had right from the beginning.This team was never going to be a juggernaut like last year, it doesn't have the pieces that group did and almost all of us knew that going in.

The U.S. will be a tough game, they are playing allright now and as usual will play us hard and give everything they've got against us.

It potentially is still a good enough team to win though with a little luck.

The Finland game never changed that, I don't see why so many thought it did.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
From the half game that I saw, I find it funny that Canada's best line (Scheifele, O'Reilly, Stone) is also the line that would traditionally not work internationally. Goes to show that brains and hockey sense count for more than speed does when it comes to transferring to the larger ice surface.

Also, Gallagher looks terrible.

other than 10 minutes of the 1st, I didn't see any of it...none of the goals anyway.

1/2 final is the same as the 1/4 final, a game that they should win, but if you play dumb, you'll lose dumb.

I'd like another shot at the Finns. If the Finns beat Russia and Canada twice in 1 tournament, then you just have to tip your hat to them and plan for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00