Confirmed with Link: Sabres have promoted Seth Appert to assistant coach/Amir Gulati to video coordinator/Girardi let go

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm only half-joking when I say bringing in Rivet as a "do the opposite of everything I say" coach/consultant might be worthwhile. Just like a gambling tout who gets 80% of his picks wrong is really an 80% accurate tout if you just know to fade him.

The real evidence of the cheapo narrative for me would be if he only has two assistants, Wilford and Appert, behind the bench (who were already on payroll). Lindy (and Donnie) had three bench assistants the last four years.

If it's a shift in philosophy, I'm very curious to hear more. Anyone know how many teams still run only two bench assistants?
I would be half supportive of your idea, unless you start saying that Peters can come along for the ride too.

They fired 3 people. And hired 3 people. Seems even.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
The Sabres have to pay Ruff market value. The Devils are off the hook for anything they owe what the Sabres are paying him.

If the Sabres didn't pay market value, the Devils would have the right to sue Lindy Ruff. That is the standard offset language in head coaching contracts

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I mean this simply isn’t true. Our head scout was in tears last year because he was “finally under a GM who let them do their job.” His words.
Scouting sure but coaching, these hires for assistants say otherwise.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
32 thoughts?!?! Believe nothing from that fraud.

I will go with the one looking over the contracts vs some podcaster
He's telling you something directly from the CBA dude. There's no middle ground. I'd be more worried about your alleged source blowing smoke up your ass

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I would feel better about Ellis being banished from the bench if Adams/Ruff actually said that - in public - rather than Lance saying 'my source said.'

It's not like Lance has ever been wrong before but...
That's where the math gets weird. Ellis still feels like the third AC behind the bench from that "depth chart." Lance is usually accurate, but maybe Lindy and Adams had a change of heart since he last heard.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
The Sabres have to pay Ruff market value. The Devils are off the hook for anything they owe what the Sabres are paying him.

If the Sabres didn't pay market value, the Devils would have the right to sue Lindy Ruff. That is the standard offset language in head coaching contracts

You realize in court the Sabres will literally tell them they valued Ruff's market value as negative, seeing how they paid him NOT to coach.

I feel like so many people on this board lack real world experience but try to talk as if they know.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He's telling you something directly from the CBA dude. There's no middle ground. I'd be more worried about your alleged source blowing smoke up your ass

Show me in the CBA where it says what market value is for a FIRED coach. Please, pull up the CBA and show me.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I spend zero days in court doing forensic accounting. So now you think that makes your backwards conspiracies correct?
Friedman whose job it is to know the CBA inside and out is lying and the comment he heard from a friend of a friend of a friend who is definitely a part of the Sabres accounting team and is telling everyone that Terry is cheap (most likely has to sign an NDA to do his job) is right.

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
I am uncomfortable with this staff personally, but I don't buy that Lindy got vetoed on any choices. Please let us know who he wanted and was told no

He likely didnt get vetoed...

But when Adams discussed the job with Ruff during the season, those parameters were made clear.

This is also why no other coach with any options would ever agree to come here. And further down the chain, it is an example of why this is a backwoods pro-sports outfit that nobody willingly agrees to play for. Adams thinly veils shots at Buffalo as the reason, when in fact, the biggest reason is ownership/mismanagement/terrible rep as an organization.

This is exactly how the Bills were run in the depths of the drought-era. They would pretend to make big moves, outsource the blame with 1 person, then everyone else in the organization would take a half step to their left. It is all a giant stall-tactic.

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
Umm, I can confirm you are 100% incorrect.

Lindy is making the same amount of money that he would have made not working. This is a charity case for Lindy. The Devils are paying his salary for the next two years.

Sabres reached out to coaches and they want to double dip and get more above what they were getting from the other teams.

No. I’m not. It was literally discussed on 32 thoughts this morning. Go ahead and listen

At the risk of being pedantic I think both can be true and OP was given a piece of info and is running with it waaaaay too far.

It depends on the NJD deal. In theoary the Devils could have done something like extend Lindy for Laviolette money ($4.9M) after a very good season. The Sabres could likely get away with paying him $2M. That is more than Granato and less than Jared Bednar ($2.25M). They could argue fair market and the NJD would still be on the hook for 50%+

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Mood:
FB_IMG_1683317095406.jpg

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Last year we had three assistants behind the bench (Wilford, Christie, Ellis). Assuming Bales is still the goalie coach & Ellis is now upstairs, we would only have two this year (Wilford + Appert).

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Lindy has been working with these guys watching film and breaking down plays and players since the day after he was hired. He's had time to make his own decisions on what he thinks and I'm sure Adams and the organization asked Lindy what he thought before deciding to keep them and add Appert. I'm sure Appert and Ruff have had conversations as well.

I'm curious to see if Vinny gets the HC job in Rochester.

• Love
Reactions: Dex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad