WC: 2016 Team Canada Pt. II

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
depending on the final roster and some solid reinforcements, playing the max number of games, 20+ pts is well within reach. For now I'm taking the under just because the team, as it is currently, won't get beyond the 1/4 final. If I make any bet on this tournament, over/under 20 pts for McDavid is the one I'm making. I guess we'll know what the final roster will look like in a few days.

The other factor is, once there's a rout underway against the bottom-feeders and with more than half a game left to play, McDavid, with his 3 pts already, gets his TOI scaled back. So, there's that aspect as well.

The situation with McDavid isn't going to be as it was with Crosby in 2006, and ice time is one of the reasons. The 2006 team had little beyond Crosby. This team isn't loaded by any stretch, but there is good forward depth. At the very least you can expect Duchene's line to share in the choice offensive matchups, given his position as an A team player. I assume that this team is going to roll lines fairly often.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The situation with McDavid isn't going to be as it was with Crosby in 2006, and ice time is one of the reasons. The 2006 team had little beyond Crosby. This team isn't loaded by any stretch, but there is good forward depth. At the very least you can expect Duchene's line to share in the choice offensive matchups, given his position as an A team player. I assume that this team is going to roll lines fairly often.

I agree with you that's probably the way the coach wants it...and it would be the typical, idiotic choice of a coach who can't recognize what he has on the team. From the Steve Spot school of coaching. McDavid is already miles ahead of Duchene.
I'd have McDavid 1st line center getting the lion's share of choice offensive matchups, ROR as the number #2 and Duchene #3. But the difference between myself and Hockey Canada, my priority is winning. Hockey Canada's priority? something else entirely.

T HALL C MCDAVID B GALLAGHER
B MARCHAND R O’REILLY M STONE
B JENNER M DUCHENE M SCHIEFELE
???????? ?????????? ????????????

M DOMI S REINHART

?????? ??????????
M RIELLY C TANEV
R MURRAY C CECI
B HUTTON

I'd like to see 5 additions, or at the very least 4. and I mean significant additions.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wonder if Toews will come and Captain our squad when we defend our Gold?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I wonder if Toews will come and Captain our squad when we defend our Gold?

It would be nice, but unlikely. He's played a lot of hockey over the span of the last few years, he's well deserving of a full summer off to rest and recoup. He gets more of a pass imo than does Doughty.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It would be nice, but unlikely. He's played a lot of hockey over the span of the last few years, he's well deserving of a full summer off to rest and recoup. He gets more of a pass imo than does Doughty.

He definitely deserves a pass if he wants to rest. He seems like the kind of guy who loves putting on the maple leaf whenever he can. We'll see, should know soon.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He definitely deserves a pass if he wants to rest. He seems like the kind of guy who loves putting on the maple leaf whenever he can. We'll see, should know soon.

Toews turned HC down twice for this tournament before, so he isn't just going to go whenever he can. It's great if he goes, not a big deal if he doesn't.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Toews turned HC down twice for this tournament before, so he isn't just going to go whenever he can. It's great if he goes, not a big deal if he doesn't.

Yeah it's totally understandable. He's played so much hockey recently.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
I agree with you that's probably the way the coach wants it...and it would be the typical, idiotic choice of a coach who can't recognize what he has on the team. From the Steve Spot school of coaching. McDavid is already miles ahead of Duchene.
I'd have McDavid 1st line center getting the lion's share of choice offensive matchups, ROR as the number #2 and Duchene #3. But the difference between myself and Hockey Canada, my priority is winning. Hockey Canada's priority? something else entirely.

M DOMI S REINHART

?????? ??????????
M RIELLY C TANEV
R MURRAY C CECI
B HUTTON

I'd like to see 5 additions, or at the very least 4. and I mean significant additions.

1)
Dan Girardi Kevin Klein
Jake Muzzin
Marc Staal Aaron Ekblad
Danckan Keith Brent Seabrook
2)

Rick Nash Derick Brassard Milan Lucic
Wayne Simmonds Claude Giroux Jeff Carter
Riley Smith Brayden Schenn Tyler Tofolli
Jonathan Huberdeau Jonatan Towes

Last edited:

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
good for him. I would advise a trip to Yosemite Park and Napa Valley. Was there last fall, great trip. I also took in a Sharks game while travelling California. I'm not sure Doughty is down for that though. LOL.

I would imagine Napa Valley is on his list. Hope he does not imbibe too much as he has committed to the World Cup.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
1)
Dan Girardi Kevin Klein
Jake Muzzin
Marc Staal Aaron Ekblad
Danckan Keith Brent Seabrook
2)

Rick Nash Derick Brassard Milan Lucic
Wayne Simmonds Claude Giroux Jeff Carter
Riley Smith Brayden Schenn Tyler Tofolli
Jonathan Huberdeau Jonatan Towes

As a Rangers fan you don't want Girardi....

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Brassard, hmm.

Decent player.

Still looking for those d-men though.

I wouldn't classify it as a significant add, but minor significant. 4th. line center. It's not too bad. can move up in the lineup and move ROR to LW. and if you add a player like Toffoli or Johansen on RW...I can live with that trio. (if Preds lose and he agrees) + some decent D-man...then maybe, we have a shot at a GM game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't mind the addition of Brassard. Underrated player, and stylistically a good fit for this team Canada. This team has a lot of wing goal scorers but not many playmakers, and Brassard helps to fill that hole. Looks like:

McDavid
Duchene
O'Reilly
Brassard

Down the middle. Not bad for this level. Give him Scheifele on the wing and that's a decent fourth line threat.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Very solid addition, Brassard is good. Now, there is likely only 1 forward spot available, right? If we count with the fact that Canada usually brings 13 forwards. Wonder who will take it. But maybe they will go with 14 just like last year...

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

M DOMI S REINHART

?????? ??????????
M RIELLY C TANEV
R MURRAY C CECI
B HUTTON

Sorry no. McDavid May be the better player in the long run but right now Duchene Has the experience in this type of tournament. It makes more sense to put McDavid against the weaker players.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Very solid addition, Brassard is good. Now, there is likely only 1 forward spot available, right? If we count with the fact that Canada usually brings 13 forwards. Wonder who will take it. But maybe they will go with 14 just like last year...

Bringing 14 last year only happened because Crosby unexpectedly contacted Hockey Canada and said that he wanted to play. Odds are that there will be 13 this year. I am guessing that Hockey Canada will wait to see what happens with Nashville - Anaheim, particularly to see if Johansen is available and agrees to go. Short of Johansen, best guesses at forward are Simmonds, Schenn, Toffoli, Huberdeau, Smith.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
McDavid will lead this tournament in scoring, just like Crosby did in his rookie year. Sid had 8 goals 8 assists to lead the tourney in '06. I say McDavid does better than that. some posters are taking 20+ pts. but I think that is a bit of a stretch.

He isnt Crosby.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Sorry no. McDavid May be the better player in the long run but right now Duchene Has the experience in this type of tournament. It makes more sense to put McDavid against the weaker players.

No, McDavid is already better than Duchene. And I think Duchene is a really good player. McDavid will be able to create chances against the other teams top shut down, which also helps Duchene.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Bringing 14 last year only happened because Crosby unexpectedly contacted Hockey Canada and said that he wanted to play. Odds are that there will be 13 this year. I am guessing that Hockey Canada will wait to see what happens with Nashville - Anaheim, particularly to see if Johansen is available and agrees to go. Short of Johansen, best guesses at forward are Simmonds, Schenn, Toffoli, Huberdeau, Smith.

Didn't Johansen decline the invite last year? I'd just pick up Toffoli or Simmonds and move along to bolstering the defense. I'd prefer those two guys over Johansen anyway, considering the current make up of the forward group. I also wouldn't be against them "rewarding" Schenn for a strong season and being a good soldier at last year's tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad