Player Discussion: 2016 round 4 #95 Anatoli Golyshev

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Tyler Johnson is 5'8 and he destroyed our Islanders in the playoffs :dunno:

Exception or rule? And all ofthem that I can recall come from NA. Not to be xenophobic, but playing in one of our leagues tends to prepare smaller guys better for the NHL. Maybe this will be an amazing exception but I am not holding my breath.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Why does size even matter? It is such a STUPID argument in regards to hockey. Brock Nelson is 6'3 and plays like he is 5'8. If this guy plays with some ****ing heart and grit (along with skill of course) then why are we *****ing about his size?

Such a stupid ****ing argument.

Because the Reinhart pick was awesome :shakehead

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Why does size even matter? It is such a STUPID argument in regards to hockey. Brock Nelson is 6'3 and plays like he is 5'8. If this guy plays with some ****ing heart and grit (along with skill of course) then why are we *****ing about his size?

Agreed

JPIsles21

Jul 9, 2006

This is right on. People just repeat rhetoric they hear on TSN and other morons in sports. The MVP in the league is 5'11 177 lbs. The size rhetoric is dumb and lazy analysis.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This is right on. People just repeat rhetoric they hear on TSN and other morons in sports. The MVP in the league is 5'11 177 lbs. The size rhetoric is dumb and lazy analysis.

So you would draft someone 3'4" tall because, you know, "Size doesn't matter?"

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

I'm 5'3" I'm rooting for the small guys! Sad to see Gerbe leave the league :(. Guys 6'7" don't have the heart he did.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Reminds me of Semin stylistically. That said these high reward picks usually don't pan out.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I like these kinds of boom-or-bust picks in the later rounds, like where the Islanders took him. The fourth round is late enough where you're drafting third liners or depth defensemen.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I think you're being a little irrational.

Skill outweighs size. Look at Johnny Gaudreau. Everyone had doubts about him, but he's a star in this league.

Like RP said, Brock Nelson is 6'3, 215 and he plays like a sissy Mary.

If that's the case why aren't the highly skilled, mostly 1st round pick, smurfetts in Edmonton vying for the cup already? There's more than one reason, but soft and small has been readily identified as two of their problems, and that's despite aaaaaaaaaaaaallllllll of the fancy schmancy shiny & sparkly HF boards crack known as high end first round picks on their club.

Again, who in here would draft a guy who is 3' 5" tall? Answer: Not any one of you even if the guy was a half clone of Gretzky. There is a breaking point where a lack of size starts become cumbersome, particularly on defense where having a long reach is actually helpful in breaking up passes and plays, and physical size is helpful in front of the net.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
5' ******* 8"

This team rewrites the definition of stupid picks every year. But at least we didn't draft a munchkin on defense. Oh, right.:banghead:

If the guy is good enough to be a top 6 contributor in the NHL, just find size elsewhere. It's a problem if ALL your guys are 5'8", but if one is, and he's really good, then who ****ing cares.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If the guy is good enough to be a top 6 contributor in the NHL, just find size elsewhere. It's a problem if ALL your guys are 5'8", but if one is, and he's really good, then who ****ing cares.

Haha, you are the only one who sees where my thought process eventually goes. Our club is actually trending down in size. Soon instead of the odd small guy here and there that we could absorb, it will be the odd big guy here and there holding back everyone's corsi. Can't have that!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Yeah, but it's going to baseless conclusiontown.

Want to see who we add, and who we subtract? It isn't baseless. And please do throw in all the guys who are big who don't play that way. We all agree on Nelson, sure. Up until very recently Lee was even a big wuss (still can't fight for crap, but I don't expect the world overnight...) Our "power forward, lol" Okposo was Pussposo. Nielsen couldn't muscle a twinkie. Bailey, lol. Strome is a hobbit amongst the trees most nights. JT gets a pass for the obvious reason... 4th line was kinda it. The defense is trending upwards which is a good thing, but Hickey... I'd buy it on defense, but not offense. In fact we subtracted Martin and added what, Prince & Quine? Size went down and it wasn't great to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00