2016 Rio Olympics | BASKETBALL | August 6th thru August 21st | USA/NBC/SN |

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Has international basketball improved this much since '92; or has American basketball become more predictable and sloppy? I'm watching this game and they were saying that Argentina is small, so shouldn't we be taking them to the hoop rather than throwing up three pointers??

International ball has gotten better, but this US team is one of those that I wouldn't be shocked no matter what happens. The D is questionable and they don't always use their mates. It probably also didn't help that a few are so new to this that they thought they'd waltz into the gold medal game and have had to win a few squeakers. They're kind of a learning experience. I think a W v Argentina will go a long way as long as they don't get back into bad habits.

edit: that half court pass has bit Argentina in the backside in 2 straight games now.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
International ball has gotten better, but this US team is one of those that I wouldn't be shocked no matter what happens. The D is questionable and they don't always use their mates. It probably also didn't help that a few are so new to this that they thought they'd waltz into the gold medal game and have had to win a few squeakers. They're kind of a learning experience. I think a W v Argentina will go a long way as long as they don't get back into bad habits.

edit: that half court pass has bit Argentina in the backside in 2 straight games now.

thanks!! I was hoping I didn't come across like I was against this team; because I'm totally not. And they seem to be doing what they need to now, and pulling away.

It seems like they like to throw up too many threes rather than finish inside, and like you said, the defense looks pretty shaky.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
^damn, had to cut the interview short cause he's crying. that's tough to see. I remember him being drafted and my father wondering who the hell it was and that his name sounded like a disease.

thanks!! I was hoping I didn't come across like I was against this team; because I'm totally not. And they seem to be doing what they need to now, and pulling away.

It seems like they like to throw up too many threes rather than finish inside, and like you said, the defense looks pretty shaky.

No worries. Quite a few people have been complaining about this lineup since it was announced. Barkley noted that there are too many shooters and not enough passers/role players which you def have seen in earlier games. Luckily they seem to be figuring some things out as they move along.

V Spain will be interesting. SHOULD be a tougher test than Argentina (as noted on TV they're team is an end of an era with no one really to take over), but they've been a roller coaster themselves.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
^damn, had to cut the interview short cause he's crying. that's tough to see. I remember him being drafted and my father wondering who the hell it was and that his name sounded like a disease.

No worries. Quite a few people have been complaining about this lineup since it was announced. Barkley noted that there are too many shooters and not enough passers/role players which you def have seen in earlier games. Luckily they seem to be figuring some things out as they move along.

V Spain will be interesting. SHOULD be a tougher test than Argentina (as noted on TV they're team is an end of an era with no one really to take over), but they've been a roller coaster themselves.

Spain often tanks early on in the tournament, so who knows what they really look like.

Gutted that we lost, but at least this group of guys showed a lot of heart.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Bad luck Ivan. Your boys played well.

Yeah, at least they fought back and almost came through.

On another hand, Aussies look damn impressive, who are you going to pull for mate? 'Straya or Serbia?

PS

A play by play guy from Oz had the best line: They all have the same name, but don't tell them that'' :laugh:

13935029_1035833456514821_1964225876926335909_n.jpg

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, at least they fought back and almost came through.

On another hand, Aussies look damn impressive, who are you going to pull for mate? 'Straya or Serbia?

PS

A play by play guy from Oz had the best line: They all have the same name, but don't tell them that'' :laugh:

13935029_1035833456514821_1964225876926335909_n.jpg

Oz all the way.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Coach K finally realized he had to let the guys who play D get some minutes. There's hope for the gold now.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Bogdan Bogdanovic was a great pick up by the Kings.

Yep, he's good.

Bojan was also immense for the past month for Croatia, too bad he's stuck on the Nets, he could be a really good scoring option for contenders, I'd really love to see him on the Spurs, I think Pop would be golden for him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yep, he's good.

Bojan was also immense for the past month for Croatia, too bad he's stuck on the Nets, he could be a really good scoring option for contenders, I'd really love to see him on the Spurs, I think Pop would be golden for him.

He does have that 'he'd be best on a good team' vibe. Can shoot when given the chance, but yeah, the Nets are a bunch of chuckers.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
NBC isn't showing the game, what's happening? Like besides the score. Aussies not making their shots, Serbian D?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad