Prospect Info: 2016 Ranking #2

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
:laugh: So it's likely that Meloche is top pair? Why in the world are you not voting Meloche right now in that case.

But Meloche becoming a top pairing guy isn't some unlikely "absolute ceiling" for Meloche. Like becoming the next Looch is for AJ, or becoming the next ROR is for JT.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Let's keep this civil, please. You know these threads are part of the history of this process.

Obviously Meloche is still in junior and there's a wide range of what he might turn out to be. But if he is a NHL player I feel he's pretty comfortably going to be a top 4 D. He has the tools to be a top pair guy but that's a big part of the unknown of his development. I feel like he's gotten a bit underrated and it's not crazy to suggest he has that kind of talent, I'm not betting my house on it but it's why I believe he's a very top prospect for us.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nope. It's not likely; but it's also not extremely unlikely. I'm voting Bigras over him because I expect him to be very close to Meloche in the NHL; only Woody's much further along atm.

I will vote Meloche after Jost though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You have to balance "absolute ceiling" with the likelihood of reaching that ceiling. The more raw a player is, the harder it is to tell. With Meloche, the potential to be a top pair is there, but he's still so young it's impossible to say how certain that is yet. He hasn't even skated in an AHL game yet, nor will he for another full season. My gut tells me he'll be a shutdown #2 in the NHL, but he's so far off it's really just a feeling more than anything else.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I got Bigras here. Absolutely love the way he plays the game. It's definitely close for me between him and Jost though.

Add Beaudin btw.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I'm with RS, I'm voting on how should have the better career, not closest to playing in the NHL. And that vote IMO is Jost. I'm treating this as a most talented / best shot of being successful poll.

Add Beaudin/Morrison

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Nope. It's not likely; but it's also not extremely unlikely. I'm voting Bigras over him because I expect him to be very close to Meloche in the NHL; only Woody's much further along atm.

I will vote Meloche after Jost though.

It's not extremely unlikely for Compher to reach a high level either. Seriously, what's holding him back?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm with RS, I'm voting on how should have the better career, not closest to playing in the NHL. And that vote IMO is Jost. I'm treating this as a most talented / best shot of being successful poll.

Add Beaudin/Morrison

I'm not black and white. For me, you have to weight many factors in varying degrees to make a decision. NHL readiness is one of them, but not the only one. Compher is closer to the NHL, but Jost's talent level trumps that because it's so much higher. It'll become less of a factor as we get to the rawer prospects and nobody is close.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not extremely unlikely for Compher to reach a high level either. Seriously, what's holding him back?

To score 60+? The shot and nose for goal. If he clicks with MacK & Landy, I can see him cracking 30-35 assists; but breaking 15 goals will probably be a major challenge for him.

I think a reasonably attainable top end for him will fall around 45-50 points with an exhausting forechecking- & defensive-game; while killing it on the PK.

But 60+? I think that's an (somewhat) optimistic target for Jost.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
To score 60+? The shot and nose for goal. If he clicks with MacK & Landy, I can see him cracking 30-35 assists; but breaking 15 goals will probably be a major challenge for him.

I think a reasonably attainable top end for him will fall around 45-50 points with an exhausting forechecking- & defensive-game; while killing it on the PK.

Perhaps you can split that Costco pack of socks with me.

I'll go with Bigras here. Being the eternal pessimist but he will at least be an NHLer once he's better adapted to the strength and speed of NHL players.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Compher's absolute ceiling is just as high. He certainly has the skill, IQ and compete to be a 60+ point top liner.

That's pretty optimistic.

But Meloche becoming a top pairing guy isn't some unlikely "absolute ceiling" for Meloche.

That's pretty optimistic, too.

If those two things are true, then those are the Avs' top two prospects.

Either that, or the Avs' prospect system has very quickly become the envy of the NHL. ;)

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Perhaps you can split that Costco pack of socks with me.

I'll go with Bigras here. Being the eternal pessimist but he will at least be an NHLer once he's better adapted to the strength and speed of NHL players.

Being a bit pessimistic about prospects is probably a responsible position to take. A lot of them disappoint - especially from the pedestals some of them are put on in this forum.

Personally, I don't rank them based upon "barely plausible highest end potential". I think that'll result in disappointment more times than not. IMO, prospects who have proven themselves (with some reasonable number of games anyway) against professional grown men - as opposed to amateur teenagers - is a good indicator. While I understand this isn't perfect in and of itself, it should have weight, IMO.

For me: Rantanen, Bigras, Compher/Jost, .Meloche

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

He is better offensively than defensively. Seriously, have you even watched him or just going by the reports that were out when we traded for him? And he has a good shot, he just doesn't use it. Tanguay had no problem putting up points. You act as if this is something that he couldn't improve upon.

Meloche is going to need to develop a lot further, particularly his offensive game, if he is going to be a top pair player. But I guess it's going to be easier for Meloche to develop multiple attributes than it will be for Compher to develop that one.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He is better offensively than defensively. Seriously, have you even watched him or just going by the reports that were out when we traded for him? And he has a good shot, he just doesn't use it. Tanguay had no problem putting up points. You act as if this is something that he couldn't improve upon.

Meloche is going to need to develop a lot further, particularly his offensive game, if he is going to be a top pair player. But I guess it's going to be easier for Meloche to develop multiple attributes than it will be for Compher to develop that one.

[MOD]

I never said he wasn't. And of course not, I was just commenting on the way he & connor worked together during the season based on purely on guesses...Tanguay also had a higher skill level than Compher. And improving a shot/goal scoring ability is one of the trickier areas for a guy to improve.

Meloche is already unreal at generating shots on net, while moving the puck very well. He really doesn't have to add any new dimensions to his game to grow into a dream Zadorov-partner. He just needs to keep polishing his game & skating.

Can and are-likely-to are two very different questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I never said he wasn't. And of course not, I was just commenting on the way he & connor worked together during the season based on purely on guesses...Tanguay also had a higher skill level than Compher. And improving a shot/goal scoring ability is one of the trickier areas for a guy to improve.

Meloche is already unreal at generating shots on net, while moving the puck very well. He really doesn't have to add any new dimensions to his game to grow into a dream Zadorov-partner. He just needs to keep polishing his game & skating.

Can and are-likely-to are two very different questions.

Would you say that Silfverberg from the Ducks is a decent comparable for Compher? I haven't seen much of JT play, but the way he's described kinda reminds me of Silfverberg.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I don't see that being the case. Compher is a much better goal scorer than people give him credit for. Compher's goal scoring never looks that impressive on paper, but that has a lot to do with the games played. He is almost always among the leaders in goal scoring on his team (usually in the 3-5 range).

From the start of the 11-12 season, Compher scores ~.3 goals per game... and that doesn't come from being a big time goal scorer in the lower levels, it improved throughout college. I don't see Compher as a 30g type, but 20g when used in a 2nd line role is what I expect him to develop into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad