Golf: 2016 PGA Championship thread - Burnt Out Edition

Jan 3, 2012
Willett is still only 27 years old, he could become a better player. At 37 Walker is on the downside of his career. I always consider it way more of a fluke when someone that age wins their first one

He's not flukey, he is in the prime of his career as evidenced by his form last season. He has just hit his stride.

He's not a superstar, but I'd much sooner expected him to win a major than a guy like Streb.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
True about DJ, no doubt. Kind of forgot about that when focusing on "first time winners"

Stenson winning is nice for him, and is a player I've always liked. Does nothing for golf over here, though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just wanna know what exact iron Day used off the tee? I suck with my driver so I hit irons off the tee 200 to 210. If I can get myself something that gets me an extra 10 to 20 yards I'd be happy with that.

I know I'm not going to hit that same club 260 plus.

2 iron. Stenson hits a 3 wood.

They both don't have to hit driver because they hit those clubs so far.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
4 first time major winners.

Honestly, a bad year for golf.

Really need our stars of the tour to shine.

I agree. Really bad year for the sport. Also a year without Tiger, which is terrible for ratings, and the general perception of the sport. If DJ gets himself into that top tier, which I doubt, maybe it could kind of be salvaged. Walker is a bad winner. The other two are average winners who you thought would get majors, but you'd prefer it wouldn't be in the same year because they aren't exciting major winners.

Maybe we'll get a small consolation at the Ryder Cup if we can finally win one? :help:

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Congrats to Walker on his first major. But dam that was one of the most ho-hum majors I have witnessed. Weather had a lot to do with it obviously.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not sure there are any future stars out there on any of the professional tours that aren't already stars. Don't agree about Grace, although I think he'll eventually win a major.

I think Hossler has a chance, but he's not yet on any of the pro tours. Maybe Ruffels, but he's so young, it'll be easier to tell in another year or two about him. Outside chance for Rahm and Fitzpatrick. Golf is spoiled. 3 stars in their 20's. Golf went over ten years from Tiger to Rory. It might be another 5 or 6 years until whoever is next. Men's tennis will have went over 10 years, even if this Zverev guy is a star. If he's not, its even longer. Stars don't appear in sports so easily.

Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure there are any future stars out there on any of the professional tours that aren't already stars. Don't agree about Grace, although I think he'll eventually win a major.

I think Hossler has a chance, but he's not yet on any of the pro tours. Maybe Ruffels, but he's so young, it'll be easier to tell in another year or two about him. Outside chance for Rahm and Fitzpatrick. Golf is spoiled. 3 stars in their 20's. Golf went over ten years from Tiger to Rory. It might be another 5 or 6 years until whoever is next. Men's tennis will have went over 10 years, even if this Zverev guy is a star. If he's not, its even longer. Stars don't appear in sports so easily.

I can see Grace having a Paddy Harrington type of Career.

Rahm is 5-15 career wins type of material imo

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You say some dumb things from time to time, and this is one of those times

Parity is not good for niche parts. People who don't normally like golf don't get excited watching Jimmy Walker win. They get excited watching legendary athletes win. Its why so many people would watch Tiger Woods when he was in contention. They watch Michael Phelps swim. Usain Bolt run. They don't really care to watch if its someone they haven't heard of.

None of these younger golfers are as good as Tiger was at his best, but it would really help golf to establish some stars over time.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
You say some dumb things from time to time, and this is one of those times

Golf needs Jordan Speith, Rory or Day to be that mega star. Really it needs to be Jordan if I were to pick one guy. But, golf needs those stand out players. Nobody is going to be Tiger but instead have guys distinguish themselves as the top of their sport. To do that, they need to be winning majors. They aren't going to win all of them but it's upsetting to not see at least one of them get one this year.

I was really hopeful that Speith could follow up last year by grabbing another major and building his stardom.

Jan 3, 2012
Parity is not good for niche parts. People who don't normally like golf don't get excited watching Jimmy Walker win. They get excited watching legendary athletes win. Its why so many people would watch Tiger Woods when he was in contention. They watch Michael Phelps swim. Usain Bolt run. They don't really care to watch if its someone they haven't heard of.

None of these younger golfers are as good as Tiger was at his best, but it would really help golf to establish some stars over time.

Golf needs Harambe

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell

Could not have said this better myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad