Golf: 2016 PGA Championship thread - Burnt Out Edition

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This should've been after the Olympics.

Yeah, this is stupid. Should have given it another few weeks and stretch out the part of the season that really matters. I do realize however that the scheduling was basically impossible this year, but majors within two weeks is really strange.

Olympic golf has become a non-event and after this weekend it's just a long wait until the Ryder Cup. Unless you care about the Fed Ex Cup for some reason.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
What would they be burnt out from? Arguing about zika in pressers?

A guy like Rory would be better off focusing on his golf for a while, he's talking the talk but not walking the walk lately.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This went under the radar, but DJ was usual DJ over the weekend at the Canadian Open. He was tied for the lead for a long time with very average golfers. It's a tournament he should've won by multiple shots. He might be back to himself. Did Wayne switch mentalities with DJ for one month?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I don't really buy into the notion that the US Open opened the floodgates for DJ (or that the British will open the floodgates for Stenson). Just because they had a hot week with the putter at the right time doesn't mean that they will stop being a below-average putter 95% of the time.

What I mean is, I don't think the thing preventing DJ from having a Jason Day-esque breakout is his mentality. He just isn't a good putter most weeks.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
This went under the radar, but DJ was usual DJ over the weekend at the Canadian Open. He was tied for the lead for a long time with very average golfers. It's a tournament he should've won by multiple shots. He might be back to himself. Did Wayne switch mentalities with DJ for one month?

I don't know why any major contender would bother with a tournament like last week.

Jan 3, 2012
What would they be burnt out from? Arguing about zika in pressers?

A guy like Rory would be better off focusing on his golf for a while, he's talking the talk but not walking the walk lately.

Rory is an overrated golfer who cannot make putts and can only win when his ballstriking is so good it carries him.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I won't go as far as MFW, but Rory's play the last two years has been poor. Two years in a row he hasn't contended in a major, and he hasn't won in the USA in over a year.

I'm not one of those people that anoints anyone who has a good month, so I'm not ready to say DJ is part of any big 3 or 4, but Day and Spieth are better golfers than McIlroy in recent years. He can change that obviously.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I won't go as far as MFW, but Rory's play the last two years has been poor. Two years in a row he hasn't contended in a major, and he hasn't won in the USA in over a year.

I'm not one of those people that anoints anyone who has a good month, so I'm not ready to say DJ is part of any big 3 or 4, but Day and Spieth are better golfers than McIlroy in recent years. He can change that obviously.

I think DJ/Day/Spieth are all better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad