Proposal: 2016 Offseason Trade Rumours & Proposals Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Any other decent bottom pair dman in FA this year outsidr of Schenn that we could/should target?

dan boyle, JML, Quincey, Polak, Zidlicky, Strait, Schultz

Have 8 guys to choose from imo, just depends on which side we want to upgrade and if its going to be an everyday upgrade or not. If its looking like a rotation defenceman or an extra defenceman i fully expect it to be a bingo guy rotating just so we dont have to pay up as much

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Have 8 guys to choose from imo, just depends on which side we want to upgrade and if its going to be an everyday upgrade or not. If its looking like a rotation defenceman or an extra defenceman i fully expect it to be a bingo guy rotating just so we dont have to pay up as much

I do Quincey or Polak. Who ever wants less term.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Strait is worse than Borowiecki.

Schultz could be a good option but he's playing the same side as Wideman, and providing similar things.

Boyle is a candidate that could make sense, but isn't ideal for sure, getting a lot older and again playing same side as Wideman.

I think Polak gets a longer deal, maybe 3 years or so which makes it unlikely.

JML is a curious case, depends on how much teams will value his last season, I have a feeling he'll get better offers elsewhere given the small pool of defensemen available, but possible.

Would love Quincey, he played well when he came back from his injury. He's still only 30, maybe he signs a 1 year deal to get his value up and then tries to resign a longer deal after the season?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why not just sign Claesson,and have him and Boro swap out from time to time .Makes probably more sense then blowing money on a player that the team doesnt know ,and would likely cost more.Both are just really filling in until one of our kids are ready anyhow

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I like PD's comments about our forward depth.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone-Zibanejad-Ryan-MacArthur can all score 20 goals. The only real question mark is Grizz but with a whole year off... You gotta think he'll be solid. From the limited information I've read and assimilated on concussions, what really screws up a player is when that player keeps pushing and pushing and pushing to get back. That's the exact opposite of what Mac did. But, if he falters, then I'm sure PD will address it.

Then you have Smith-Pageau who can score about 15 goals a piece. Maybe more depending on circumstances. If you get a guy like McGinn or Hudler then you have 6 guys that can score 20+, and 3 guys that can score 15+. That's pretty damn good. Challenges any team in terms of depth. We'd be beat in terms of elite talent, but does that really matter? We have Karlsson.

Why not just sign Claesson,and have him and Boro swap out from time to time .Makes probably more sense then blowing money on a player that the team doesnt know ,and would likely cost more.Both are just really filling in until one of our kids are ready anyhow

I think the idea is to have a solid vet to play with Wideman who looks promising. Claesson and Boro don't really fit the bill.

TrueGrit

Jul 3, 2006
Quincey will get paid more than we're willing IMO. Won't be looking to play behind Methot and Phaneuf.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

I think they'd like to have somebody who can help Wideman develop his offensive side a little more by bringing stability. Usually, for a young defensemen, it's better to have a veteran presence and a voice to guide the play on the ice. Not that Claesson wouldn't be able to do that, but bringing a guy with NHL experience and most importantly a guy that had success elsewhere will make us that much better and will allow Boucher to roll 3 pairings without worrying too much.

With all the injuries we've had in the past few years, I think we could and should sign Claesson too.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

You usually need about 8 defensemen to get through a season. Since we probably won't re-sign Wier, we probably need one more defenseman anyways. Might as well get a 4-5 guy instead of another AHL-NHL tweener.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think they'd like to have somebody who can help Wideman develop his offensive side a little more by bringing stability. Usually, for a young defensemen, it's better to have a veteran presence and a voice to guide the play on the ice. Not that Claesson wouldn't be able to do that, but bringing a guy with NHL experience and most importantly a guy that had success elsewhere will make us that much better and will allow Boucher to roll 3 pairings without worrying too much.

With all the injuries we've had in the past few years, I think we could and should sign Claesson too.
Yep,that makes sense .Kinda worried about what its going to cost,with every team is looking for defensemen .Even crappy ones tend to be overpaid in F/A

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
An average #7 will play around 45-50 games. Other d-men needed may account for 10-20 games. A full time 8th is unneccesary, so it'll be a call up.

I'm OK if they improve the 5th, but I'm also fine if they assess and improve at the Trade Deadline if needed. I suppose ideally they'd look for a mid-late 20's diamond in the rough.

Still not sure that Wideman will ever thrive here behind Karlsson, Ceci and now Phaneuf for offensive opportunities.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Wideman can play limited PP time and have favourable matchups being on the 3rd pair. He can also play 4-4 and 3-3.

Even if he doesn't pot 30 points, it doesn't matter. He can be important for us down the road, IMO.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
An average #7 will play around 45-50 games. Other d-men needed may account for 10-20 games. A full time 8th is unneccesary, so it'll be a call up.

I'm OK if they improve the 5th, but I'm also fine if they assess and improve at the Trade Deadline if needed. I suppose ideally they'd look for a mid-late 20's diamond in the rough.

Still not sure that Wideman will ever thrive here behind Karlsson, Ceci and now Phaneuf for offensive opportunities.
TBH ,i think he can be a nice trade chip .Provided of course we have a suitable replacement for him,he is an upcoming ufa .And has shown some promise,that other teams may be interested in taking a look at

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Garrioch says he expects the team to try to land the defenseman they want through trade. Doesn't think they'll participate in free agency outside of signing a few 2-way guys for Binghamton.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Wideman can play limited PP time and have favourable matchups being on the 3rd pair. He can also play 4-4 and 3-3.

Even if he doesn't pot 30 points, it doesn't matter. He can be important for us down the road, IMO.

To have a guy that can move the puck so well on our 3rd pair is very important too.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

My problem with Wideman is he doesn't/can't play the PK, which puts more pressure on EK and Ceci. Karlsson's SH TOI doubled last season vs the previous when we had Gryba. Ceci's time was about the same but he had tougher matchups and didn't do as well.
Not saying thats the only reason but our PK went from 11th to 29th

I'd love to see Wideman replaced by someone with a little more of a 2 way game for 3rd pairing RD

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Garrioch says he expects the team to try to land the defenseman they want through trade. Doesn't think they'll participate in free agency outside of signing a few 2-way guys for Binghamton.

That's good news, options on UFA market are not so good and will look for too much term/too much money.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
My problem with Wideman is he doesn't/can't play the PK, which puts more pressure on EK and Ceci. Karlsson's SH TOI doubled last season vs the previous when we had Gryba. Ceci's time was about the same but he had tougher matchups and didn't do as well.
Not saying thats the only reason but our PK went from 11th to 29th

I'd love to see Wideman replaced by someone with a little more of a 2 way game for 3rd pairing RD

Meh, Ceci is good on the PK and is being groomed into a great 2 way D. So if PD acquires another vet D, even if that D is LHD, he can play with Ceci.

After that you can have Methot-Phaneuf as a PK pairing. Apparently Pha-9 is really comfortable on the right side, so maybe he can play there on the PK?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I wouldn't mind Karlsson playing on the PK. It seems to me his all-round game is at its peak when he's also deployed on the penalty kill.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I think that there will come a time when Wideman thinks he could cash in on an opportunity to get PP time somewhere else and Ottawa will want a bigger, PK guy in that position.

HoffStoneKarl*

I think that there will come a time when Wideman thinks he could cash in on an opportunity to get PP time somewhere else and Ottawa will want a bigger, PK guy in that position.

Perhaps, but at this point I think Wideman is just happy to have a 1 way contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad