Speculation: 2016 Offseason Thread ★

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not much to say, other than 1000 words that sound like blowing up the whole team probably isn't realistic. While a disappointing loss, not like Nill needs to tear down the WC reg season champs, because of a series loss to an equal team with more playoff disappointment motivation in their game. We have to remember that under the cap, there are no perfect teams anymore, so we can't keep churning in search of perfection. But, we do need to pick our worst few problems and upgrade them a bit where we can do it sensibly. And, they do have chemistry, so trading too many key pieces might be a step backwards.

Mentally, I just don't think the Stars can go forward with Kari. Niemi can stay as 1B/2. Nill needs to get creative, even if Kari plays in Austin next year.

The series (not to mention Faksa, Johns and a bit of Ritchie) shows the Stars need more size to compete in the playoffs, both forward and D. Those three show you can have size plus the speed needed to play the Stars system.

On D, I believe Nemeth stays for that reason, size plus some speed, and plays third pair. Lindell comes up because he has both as well. Second pair, probably. Contractually stuck with Oduya and Klingberg, so we need to find two more D. I think they will sign one of our 4 UFA D, not sure which, and pick one up to round out top 6. He will be big and fast, even if not top 2 material.

Hope they resign Scevior, who never gets respect, but seems like a perfect younger fit to replace some 4th line vets. McKenzie can come on up, too. They look like NHL players, and we need cheap.

In short, about the same as last year's off season needs -

New Starting Goalie
At least one better D to push everyone down the chart
Cheap grinders so we can resign Benn and Seguin.

At least we got a lot of improvement out of the patches/upgrades done last year. We still need a bit more. Nill hasn't been afraid to admit mistakes, a la Gonchar, and that will continue.

Last edited:

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Kari also has a NMC thanks to Nieuwy. Will be hard to move. Nill probably tried before this season too.

Kari has a NTC, not NMC. I believe Goligoski, Eriksson, and Jamie Benn were also given NTC's during the later part of their contracts. Thankfully, that's one thing Nill hasn't done much of, be it Hemsky, Spezza, Eakin, Niemi, Roussel, or even Klingberg. However he may have to end up giving Benn one.

Not much to say, other than 1000 words that sound like blowing up the whole team probably isn't realistic. While a disappointing loss, not like Nill needs to tear down the WC reg season champs, because of a series loss to an equal team with more playoff disappointment motivationg their game.

Mentally, I just don't think the Stars can go forward with Kari. Niemi can stay as 1B/2.

Nill doesn't have to tear down anything. If he lets all his UFA defensemen walk, that itself is a reboot of sorts. As for Kari, his NTC is an issue, but if management and player have a sit-down and finalize that an amicable departure is good for both, that might be the way. I just don't know who would be willing to trade for him. There was some talk of Calgary being a possible destination for Kari, but they can just as well get Reimer off the UFA market for nothing.

Smells like a buyout.

The series (not to mention Faksa, Johns and a bit of Ritchie) shows the Stars need more size to compete in the playoffs, both forward and D. Those three show you can have size plus the speed needed to play the Stars system.

Let's just step back and think for a bit. With a slightly reliable and consistent goalie performance and a healthy Seguin, we are likely winning this series in six games. Yes, we can benefit from size in a few players in creating a sustained fore-check if opposition tactics force us to dump and chase, but we do need those players to possess skills and hockey sense to achieve the team's core plan of possession and creating high-value scoring chances. What I don't want to do, in our pursuit for size, is turn into a team of Otterheads running around aimlessly looking for contact. IIRC, after getting ousted by Anaheim in the 1st round of the 2007 playoffs, Minnesota tried to stock their squad with size in preparation for a future battle that never really materialized and instead sent them into a 2nd rebuild phase.

Lot of options on the UFA market for forwards with size, btw.

On D, I believe Nemeth stays for that reason, size plus some speed, and plays third pair. Lindell comes up because he has both as well. Second pair, probably. Contractually stuck with Oduya and Klingberg, so we need to find two more D. I think they will sign one of our 4 UFA D, not sure which, and pick one up to round out top 6. He will be big and fast, even if not top 2 material.

For just one more year. I don't mind extending him for a year more if Johns can mature better with him as partner. I do hope we sign one of our 4 UFA D, but I'm hoping it's not Goligoski.

Hope they resign Scevior, who never gets respect, but seems like a perfect younger fit to replace some 4th line vets. McKenzie can come on up, too. They look like NHL players, and we need cheap.

I hope so too.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Eaves probably earned himself a new contract. I'd probably even give him 2 years . He's only there for 40-50 games a year but when he's in the lineup he's great.

freddypuck

Aug 19, 2008
New York
Targets... Fleury, Bishop, Lundqvist when it comes to goaltending. We've got Nichushkin and a first to move, hopefully that's enough. Something tells me it isn't. I'd hope we'd be able to give up Lehtonen or Niemi to someone. Calgary comes to mind.

Defense? No clue.

XXX - Klingberg
Oduya - Johns
XXX - XXX
XXX

Everyone else should be gone. Let the four UFAs walk, the entire defense needs an overhaul. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Russell or Demers, but not both. Nemeth is still re-signed, I think he'll be okay as a #7 for now.

Lindell is ready, he'll probably get the 3rd pairing LHD spot. I suspect Honka will get his cup of coffee next season, maybe sticking if he proves he's ready. Backman should be the first call-up. Hansson and Bystrom shouldn't sniff the NHL.

As for UFAs, there's really nothing there. Yandle and Hamhuis are interesting, but the former will get 7M+, and the latter is likely staying in Vancouver. Polak is a name I'd be interested in acquiring for the third pairing RHD spot, but he doesn't really fit in well with the team.

Trades... defenders just aren't traded enough. We're not going to get anyone earth-shattering that way, that's for sure. Detroit's in cap troubles, but none of their expensive defenders are appealing. Columbus is going to have some trouble retaining their RFAs, as well - might have a cap casualty or two.

But for now, there's obviously not much that can be done.

I loved Demers , he gave is all last night for some reason I still think he is hurt cause he didn't hit like usual , Demers will come cheap around 3.5Mill , russell is going to get more so i would pass on him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Russel and Demers are very compareable. The only reason people think Russel is going to get more is because the Canadian media pumped his tires like crazy. I would hope GM's are not that stupid. Seriously he's in the top 10 of UFA's lists all the time and i have no idea why. I don't think he's better than Goligoski or Demers and certainly doesn't deserve more money than those two. Goligoski is probably the best albeit also the poorest long-term fit here.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Goligoski would be fine on the second pairing. He will get top pairing money most likely and I don't want that here. If demers will sign for 3.5 then I do it. I think that could help shore up the goaltending or a lhd by being able to trade Honka.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
Just spit balling here, what about signing Yandle and slapping him with Johns as a top pair, then getting a much more available #3-4 guy with a defensive mindset to play with Klingberg. In this example let's go with a guy like Brodin. Then we've got a different look:

Yandle-Johns
Brodin-Klinger
Oduya- Nemeth (or preferably a right shot.)

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Goligoski needs to go. He's just not good defensively unless its a one-on-one situation. His awareness is lacking, he's not physical, there are plenty of times where he's in the wrong place and just watches the play unfold. That's not what we need, especially not with Klingberg.

bug

Jun 27, 2012
What's your best, most realistic offer for Anderson AND Fowler? Kills two birds with one stone.

Val
Eakin
Ully
Oleksiak
Kari with 50% retained
1st

Fowler
Anderson

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
What's your best, most realistic offer for Anderson AND Fowler? Kills two birds with one stone.

Val
Eakin
Ully
Oleksiak
Kari with 50% retained
1st

Fowler
Anderson

That's a mountain to give up for anext underperforming defenseman and a goalie that, while good, hasn't looked stellar in the playoffs.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Just spit balling here, what about signing Yandle and slapping him with Johns as a top pair, then getting a much more available #3-4 guy with a defensive mindset to play with Klingberg. In this example let's go with a guy like Brodin. Then we've got a different look:

Yandle-Johns
Brodin-Klinger

That would be great except Minnesota is not trading him here and tap the brakes on johns. While he looked good as Stars fans we have seen this before. Nemeth looked good before also. I think johns will be a good one just don't know if the Stars should rush him to top pairing.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
If we do make a UFA move for a forward that isn't Eaves or Sceviour I'd want Matt Martin.

LT

Jul 23, 2010

Yandle-Johns
Brodin-Klinger

I'm not prepared to give Yandle 7x7M, which is what I'm sure someone will offer him.

And Brodin is not going to be cheap. They also have no reason to move him unless they're getting a top 6 center, which we can't really give up. Maybe Nill pulls off Eakin+ for Brodin, but I doubt it.

That looks a lot better, though. Brodin is a good fit and what we need, and Yandle is what we all hoped Goligoski would be five years ago. While I like the look of that, its just not particularly feasible.

defensorfidei

Jun 4, 2014
I'm not prepared to give Yandle 7x7M, which is what I'm sure someone will offer him.

And Brodin is not going to be cheap. They also have no reason to move him unless they're getting a top 6 center, which we can't really give up. Maybe Nill pulls off Eakin+ for Brodin, but I doubt it.

That looks a lot better, though. Brodin is a good fit and what we need, and Yandle is what we all hoped Goligoski would be five years ago. While I like the look of that, its just not particularly feasible.
I think 5 years at 6 million per could probably bring Yandle here, we're a hot destination in the NHL and Yandle is already familiar with the small market and western travel. So maybe not easy but plausible.
As for Brodin...maybe Eakin, Honka, and a 2nd next draft?

LT

Jul 23, 2010
I think 5 years at 6 million per could probably bring Yandle here, we're a hot destination in the NHL and Yandle is already familiar with the small market and western travel. So maybe not easy but plausible.

I'd be stunned if he takes less than 6.5M, honestly. He's the best defender to hit FA since Suter/Stralman. First defender of his caliber to hit FA under the new CBA. And that's all assuming New York let's him walk, which isn't guaranteed. They traded a pretty huge amount of assets for him, and he's been their second best defender (sometimes best) ever since. If they can retain him at a reasonable price, they will.

I don't want to move Honka, and I don't think Nill does either. Brodin isn't worth that, as well, at least not to me.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Gotta move Eakin IMO, Faksa took his job and I doubt Fiddler will be back. 3.95 is about the buyout cap hit on both goalies. Re-up Jordie, Eaves, and Scevior plus sign a cheap 4C, then turn Nichushkin and Ritchie into defense or goalie help.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box

I'd be cool with paying that price for Brodin (if by next draft you mean 2017, Flames own our 2016 pick). I'm actually not the biggest Brodin fan, but I can't really argue with how well he'd fit. I'd imagine Minn wouldn't want a defensive prospect as the main piece though. I guess maybe they might open minded about improving their goal scoring by replacing a DFD in Brodin with an OFD in Honka, but probably not.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Lehtonen and Niemi are not going anywhere unless Nill finds upgrade. And that might be impossible job even for Nill.

Nichushkin will get short extension to give him year or two to show what hes got when he gets healthy training season.

Eakin will be part of the trade to get #1D

One of Demers, Goligoski or Russell will be signed.

My two cents.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
With his time on the top line, someone needing a 2C will trade for Eakin, and we can spare him, even with Fids retiring in all likelihood. He is probably the best vet piece we realistically have. The TDL showed Nil wasn't going to trade Honka (he said so) and Val may have lost his luster and value.

Always interesting. We have a lot of talent, but to us fans, not enough to feel we can trade some away......

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
Fix the defense before goaltending. Get players on the backend that can defend, and coaches that can actually help coach them to defend.

No more cross-crease passes or just letting whoever skate in and do whatever they want unharassed.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I do think the playoffs might trick someone into thinking Eakin is better than he actually is. When he had that OT Winner in Game 4 Friedman and all the media guys couldn't contain themselves to write gushing praises for Cody and how great he has become. Despite the fact that he had an very disapointing regular season and before the OT winner i would've said disapointing playoffs as well. ( happened with Kari after game 6 too and look how that turned out :P ) He is what he is a 35-40 ish point 3rd line Center thats not very good at handling the puck and has terrible possesion numbers as a result.

He's a guy that i would hope would be picked up on an expansion draft.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Are any of you guys done with Lindy Ruff yet? Anyone still excited about him? Either way, what's your opinion?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's been mostly very good this year. Gave trust and big minutes to rookies and most of the time had the team ready to compete and play. He has his problems but who hasn't ?

I've read people critisizing him for not playing Oleksiak , Nemeth instead of our undersized defenseman but those guys are wrong. I rather have a skilled undersized guy than a lumberjack on skates . Those two are not comfortable with the puck and you need your defenseman even the defensive ones to be able to move the puck around offensively and defensively these days .

Overall not too many complaints for our coach this year. Special teams kinda sucked most of the year though hope we make some changes there.

Last edited:

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think Demers is more likely to get 4.5 mil / year unless he's taking a discount to stay in Dallas

I think that's lowballing the offers Demers is likely to see, to be honest. First, he's by far and away the best RD on the FA market this offseason, and the only one that could fit into a top-4 role. Seriously, Roman Polak is the 2nd best RD on the market, and I think we all know that Polak really doesn't belong in anyone's top-4.

Second, there are a LOT of teams desperate to find a top-4 RD. This includes big spending teams, like the Rangers, Redwings, Los Angeles, and probably 10+ other teams. Therefore, I think it's inevitable that someone is going to offer him a significant overpayment. It is just supply and demand. There is a huge demand for top-4 RDs on the FA market this offseason. There is a supply of 1.

As a result of all that, I would be shocked if he signed for less than 6m AAV, with probably 5-6 year term. (and probably with at least a limited NTC as well.) Yes, that's probably at least 1m/yr too high, and whatever team signs him to such a deal will probably end up really regretting it. But think about all the bad GMs out there on teams who need a top-4 RD badly. One of them is going to back up the Scrooge McDuck money bin, it's inevitable. Hell, Polak will probably get 4-4.5, the position is that thin on the FA market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad