MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Kari Lehtonen Buyout Cap Hit

2016-17: 1,733,333
2017-18: 2,733,333
2018-19: 1,833,333
2019-20 1,833,333

Saves 4,166,667 in 2016-17 & 3,166,667 in 2017-18.

Antti Niemi Buyout Cap Hit

2016-17: 1,500,000
2017-18: 1,500,000
2018-19: 1,500,000
2019-20: 1,500,000

Saves 3M in 16-17 & 17-18.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Meh not a fan of a buyout . Not until we have someone in goal that we can move forward with for the forseeable future. Sadly every goalie Nieuwy picked was a complete bust . The guys Nill picked aren't ready yet to even get a serious look for the big team.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Me neither, but I just posted it due to the fact it'll likely be discussed to death at some point in time.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Targets... Fleury, Bishop, Lundqvist when it comes to goaltending. We've got Nichushkin and a first to move, hopefully that's enough. Something tells me it isn't. I'd hope we'd be able to give up Lehtonen or Niemi to someone. Calgary comes to mind.

Defense? No clue.

XXX - Klingberg
Oduya - Johns
XXX - XXX
XXX

Everyone else should be gone. Let the four UFAs walk, the entire defense needs an overhaul. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Russell or Demers, but not both. Nemeth is still re-signed, I think he'll be okay as a #7 for now.

Lindell is ready, he'll probably get the 3rd pairing LHD spot. I suspect Honka will get his cup of coffee next season, maybe sticking if he proves he's ready. Backman should be the first call-up. Hansson and Bystrom shouldn't sniff the NHL.

As for UFAs, there's really nothing there. Yandle and Hamhuis are interesting, but the former will get 7M+, and the latter is likely staying in Vancouver. Polak is a name I'd be interested in acquiring for the third pairing RHD spot, but he doesn't really fit in well with the team.

Trades... defenders just aren't traded enough. We're not going to get anyone earth-shattering that way, that's for sure. Detroit's in cap troubles, but none of their expensive defenders are appealing. Columbus is going to have some trouble retaining their RFAs, as well - might have a cap casualty or two.

But for now, there's obviously not much that can be done.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
^ I would say there's a 50% chance Hamhuis doesn't stay in Vancouver. We have a lot of younger waiver-eligible D-men we need to fit in.

How did Russell play overall since you acquired him?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
^ I would say there's a 50% chance Hamhuis doesn't stay in Vancouver. We have a lot of younger waiver-eligible D-men we need to fit in.

How did Russell play overall since you acquired him?

I was actually going to put there's a 50/50 chance he stays in Vancouver :laugh:

He was fine, about what I expected. Good shot-blocking, average puck moving, average defensively. Usually not very noticeable, which is good. Not worth the 4-4.5M that I've heard around his name, though. If he wants that, he can move on.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I was actually going to put there's a 50/50 chance he stays in Vancouver :laugh:

He was fine, about what I expected. Good shot-blocking, average puck moving, average defensively. Usually not very noticeable, which is good. Not worth the 4-4.5M that I've heard around his name, though. If he wants that, he can move on.

Mid-way through the season it was actually rumored that he wanted 5-6 mil at 5-6 years. Good luck to whichever team gives him anything close to that. :laugh:

Surprised you aren't totally on board with keeping Demers. From the outside looking in he seems like he's been a solid 2nd-pairing type fit for y'all. Although I guess you might want to make room for Honka on the right side.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Targets... Fleury, Bishop, Lundqvist when it comes to goaltending. We've got Nichushkin and a first to move, hopefully that's enough. Something tells me it isn't. I'd hope we'd be able to give up Lehtonen or Niemi to someone. Calgary comes to mind.

I would love to have Bishop too, but that's a pipe-dream. I have major concerns with Fleury and his concussion issues, so that leaves El Rey (and his $8M+ cap-hit until who knows when) as the likely choice.

Calgary may take Lehts, but we may have to eat some salary and he has to waive his NTC too. If we're seeking Lundqvist, that creates issues.

Defense? No clue.

XXX - Klingberg
Oduya - Johns
XXX - XXX
XXX

Everyone else should be gone. Let the four UFAs walk, the entire defense needs an overhaul. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back Russell or Demers, but not both. Nemeth is still re-signed, I think he'll be okay as a #7 for now.

Lindell is ready, he'll probably get the 3rd pairing LHD spot. I suspect Honka will get his cup of coffee next season, maybe sticking if he proves he's ready. Backman should be the first call-up. Hansson and Bystrom shouldn't sniff the NHL.

As for UFAs, there's really nothing there. Yandle and Hamhuis are interesting, but the former will get 7M+, and the latter is likely staying in Vancouver. Polak is a name I'd be interested in acquiring for the third pairing RHD spot, but he doesn't really fit in well with the team.

Can't really stock all those slots with young 'uns. Time to swing a deal with a couple of defensive assets.

Trades... defenders just aren't traded enough. We're not going to get anyone earth-shattering that way, that's for sure. Detroit's in cap troubles, but none of their expensive defenders are appealing. Columbus is going to have some trouble retaining their RFAs, as well - might have a cap casualty or two.

But for now, there's obviously not much that can be done.

Or Cam Fowler may be available because of impending raises to Lindholm, Vatanen, Rakell, and Andersen. Or maybe Andersen is also made available if Anaheim wants to go ahead with Gibson.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Demers was somewhat dissapointing in the later half of the season. Many mental errors and then he started taking really dumb penalties for a while.

I'm not against keeping him since he seems like a good fit with our core players but it depends on the money he gets and what else he would want. If he wants a No-trade / NMC thats an immidiate no-no since we can't protect all of Johns , Honka or Klingberg if we have to protect the NMC of Demers.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
We could go into the next season with a forward group of:

Benn(5.250) - Seguin(5.750) - Nichushkin(1.250?)
Janmark(734) - Spezza(7.500) - Sharp(5.900)
Roussel(2.000) - Faksa(864) - Hemsky(4.000)
McKenzie(675) - Eakin(3.850) - Ritchie(1.200?)

Without counting in a 13th forward we are a shade under 39mil for the forwards, and that is still a potent offense. I'd love to re-sign Eaves to a similar contract, but could understand if he wants to go somewhere else to try and get more years if he can get it with his health concerns.

Don't really need to mess with the forwards too much. Maybe use Eakin to shore up on D and bring in another veteran center? Likely won't be too much different from this year.

I have no idea for the D:

X- Klingberg(4.250)
Oduya(3.750)- Johns(725)
Nemeth(900)- X

Not even 10 mil tied up for defence next year.

UFA market isn't super great: Yandle, Campbell, Goligoski, Hamhuis, Schenn, Demers. There is some interesting pieces in RFA status: Barrie, Lindholm, Vatanen, Ristolainen, Trouba.

The top pairing LD may need to be filled in with a trade, but the bottom right could be filled with a UFA like Schenn, Polak, or maybe the re-sign Demers? Jim Nill July specialty trade for a top pairing LHD?

Goaltending is such a question mark for me. The regular season was exactly what I expected, two guys splitting time getting equal amounts of wins at average to below average numbers, but in the playoffs you need someone to step up and neither of Niemi or Lehtonen looked capable.

Lehtonen (5.900)
Niemi (4.500)

No one in the AHL is the answer for us right now ala Matt Murray. There isnt a clear UFA goaltender who could be a starter (maybe Reimer?). Frederik Andersen and Petr Mrazek are starting goalies in RFA status.

There's been media talk that the Stars should be after Lundqvist or Fleury, but for me I'd rather try and get Andersen somehow.

Lots of interesting things to look forward to.

As for the draft this year Nill mentioned wanting to recoup the 2nd round pick we traded to Calgary maybe in a deal involving Oleksiak?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
We could go into the next season with a forward group of:

Benn(5.250) - Seguin(5.750) - Nichushkin(1.250?)
Janmark(734) - Spezza(7.500) - Sharp(5.900)
Roussel(2.000) - Faksa(864) - Hemsky(4.000)
McKenzie(675) - Eakin(3.850) - Ritchie(1.200?)

Without counting in a 13th forward we are a shade under 39mil for the forwards, and that is still a potent offense. I'd love to re-sign Eaves to a similar contract, but could understand if he wants to go somewhere else to try and get more years if he can get it with his health concerns.

Don't really need to mess with the forwards too much. Maybe use Eakin to shore up on D and bring in another veteran center? Likely won't be too much different from this year.

I have no idea for the D:

X- Klingberg(4.250)
Oduya(3.750)- Johns(725)
Nemeth(900)- X

Not even 10 mil tied up for defence next year.

UFA market isn't super great: Yandle, Campbell, Goligoski, Hamhuis, Schenn, Demers. There is some interesting pieces in RFA status: Barrie, Lindholm, Vatanen, Ristolainen, Trouba.

The top pairing LD may need to be filled in with a trade, but the bottom right could be filled with a UFA like Schenn, Polak, or maybe the re-sign Demers? Jim Nill July specialty trade for a top pairing LHD?

Goaltending is such a question mark for me. The regular season was exactly what I expected, two guys splitting time getting equal amounts of wins at average to below average numbers, but in the playoffs you need someone to step up and neither of Niemi or Lehtonen looked capable.

Lehtonen (5.900)
Niemi (4.500)

No one in the AHL is the answer for us right now ala Matt Murray. There isnt a clear UFA goaltender who could be a starter (maybe Reimer?). Frederik Andersen and Petr Mrazek are starting goalies in RFA status.

There's been media talk that the Stars should be after Lundqvist or Fleury, but for me I'd rather try and get Andersen somehow.

Lots of interesting things to look forward to.

As for the draft this year Nill mentioned wanting to recoup the 2nd round pick we traded to Calgary maybe in a deal involving Oleksiak?

I don't know why any coach would give Nichushkin the top-line after what they've seen from him this season, viz. zero finishing capabilities. If there's a deal to be made with him as one of the pieces, I'd be up for it. Maybe he'd like it in Little Russia with his buddies Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Orlov.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hey guys, Sharks fan here, apologies for invading you guys' forum. Sorry about your loss, was hoping you guys would win it. And after so many years of watching Niemi give up gut punch softies at the worst times, BELIEVE me I can empathize.

The reason I'm here is that I am curious as to whether you guys think the team might try and sign Reimer in FA to be the starter there, especially if you can find a way to offload Lehtonen and Niemi? Would seem to be a pretty good fit, given that he was excellent here when he had a good team in front of him, instead of the dumpster fire he had in Toronto. I'd love it if the Sharks would sign him as a backup, but I'm pretty sure that if you guys offered him a starter's salary and job, he'd leap at the chance. So what do you guys think?

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I don't know why any coach would give Nichushkin the top-line after what they've seen from him this season, viz. zero finishing capabilities. If there's a deal to be made with him as one of the pieces, I'd be up for it. Maybe he'd like it in Little Russia with his buddies Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, and Orlov.

Well he did play his best with them in his rookie year, partly because he wasn't counted on to finish.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah I'm not sure what will happen with him, but Benn and Seguin will keep on doing their thing regardless who is on their line so letting him play there gives him the best shot and making things happen (not necessarily that he deserves it at this point).

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Well he did play his best with them in his rookie year, partly because he wasn't counted on to finish.

It's not his rookie year anymore. If he wants to play top-line minutes, then he must show top-line production- if not via goals, then via assists by creating smart plays (of which he hasn't shown much either).

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
As of now Andersen, Reimer, and Gudlevskis are my top choices (in that order) when it comes to realistic options for a goalie next season. Hutchinson could be another possibility.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Hey guys, Sharks fan here, apologies for invading you guys' forum. Sorry about your loss, was hoping you guys would win it. And after so many years of watching Niemi give up gut punch softies at the worst times, BELIEVE me I can empathize.

The reason I'm here is that I am curious as to whether you guys think the team might try and sign Reimer in FA to be the starter there, especially if you can find a way to offload Lehtonen and Niemi? Would seem to be a pretty good fit, given that he was excellent here when he had a good team in front of him, instead of the dumpster fire he had in Toronto. I'd love it if the Sharks would sign him as a backup, but I'm pretty sure that if you guys offered him a starter's salary and job, he'd leap at the chance. So what do you guys think?

Well, we do have other options via trade in Anderson/Gibson, or Vasilevskiy. Problem is that Nieuwendyk sandbagged us with Lehtonen and his NTC and jettisoning Niemi after one season may send the wrong signals to potential UFA's; not too worried about the latter since this team can attract talent regardless. Either way, unless there's a plan in place to rid ourselves of at least one of them, I don't see this happening. We'll just have to see how this pans out.

As of now Andersen, Reimer, and Gudlevskis are my top choices (in that order) when it comes to realistic options for a goalie next season. Hutchinson could be another possibility.

Did you mean Vasilevskiy? Gudlevskis has but 4 games of NHL experience.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Great season!

I'm looking forward to what Nill can pull out of his hat to address D and goaltending this offseason.

kms10g

Feb 17, 2015
Orlando, FL
I imagine we don't unload both goalies. They suck about equally, so I would unload Kari since he is a bigger cap hit.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I was going to go right down the roster player by player, but I'll try to be quicker.

In goal, I agree Lehtonen should probably be moved or bought out. His compete level isn't always there. Both guys are inconsistent and let up soft goals, but I always take the guy willing to battle and that's Niemi. Neither is a No. 1.

There may be a trade for a high-end guy, but it will either cost a good prospect or Dallas will need to adopt someone else's salary mistake. If Nichushkin has to be a piece there, he is. Of the free agents, I do like Reimer. He singlehandedly beat the Stars twice and hasn't had much to play behind in Toronto. Similarly though, he's not been an every day starter. I wonder if Nill kicks the tires on Jimmy Howard. There's familiarity there and I think Mrazik is Detroit's goalie of the future.

On the back end, obviously they expect Klingberg to be a huge piece. I think he needs a stronger partner and less ice though. He made a lot of mistakes in the first series and St. Louis neutralized him in the second. To me, Johns was hands-down the best defender all playoffs. He was physical, he moves the puck, and reads well. Give him more ice and see how he handles it. Oduya was adequate and the price is good for veteran stability.

I liked Russell. Yes, he is undersized but he's smart defensively and can move the puck. I'd have liked to see him get more PP time. It clicked when he came in late in the year. I'd try to re-sign him but if the money gets higher, I'd look at Yandle and I've always liked Campbell - if Chicago didn't give him that huge deal and if he wasn't in Florida, he'd be considered elite. That said, they don't offer the size the Stars clearly need against St. Louis or Los Angeles forechecking.

Demers was a huge upgrade last year, but he's best suited 4-6. If reasonable, maybe. If not, he can move on. I wish Goligoski played up front. He's really creative in the offensive zone, but terrible at the offensive blue line and the other zones. I'm ready to move on there. I don't figure Oleksiak, Nemeth, or Benn are a solution or they would be by now. They should audition the kids they have and look for some toughness from elsewhere via trade.

Up front, it was beyond frustrating to watch Ruff's lines at times, a few guys seemingly had nothing to play with. I'd have liked to see Benn, Spezza, and Sharp together more. They're keepers alongside a healthy Seguin - the fluke injuries must be over, right?

Faksa really impressed me in the playoffs. He's big, strong, and smart and seems to be the type of guy you win with. He can be third-line centre. Though Janmark isn't big, he can slot in anywhere - creative and responsible. I look for both of them to thrive and grow. Eaves seems like a good team guy and gets where he needs to be, wouldn't mind him back. I do like Sceviour's energy, but he's not a top six or PP guy at this level. Fiddler is in as a fourth-line centre for his faceoffs and leadership.

Roussel could be that type of hard, agitating player but he makes some bad decisions. If he can be moved for something that helps, great. Otherwise, he's useful. I used to be a huge Eakin fan - and in fairness to him, he's not a top-line forward, but I wonder where he fits at his price. Faksa has become better on the third line and I think bigger, harder wingers are needed. He could go for defence or goaltending. Nichushkin looks promising at times, but I don't like his decision making and he needs to finish more. It wouldn't break my heart to move him. Hemsky is pretty but he'd have to come at a reduced salary and I think a grinder would be better suited there. Moen was the type of player in his prime the Stars needed to beat the Blues, but he's not now.

I'd like to see Ritchie, Dickenson, Shore, McKenzie, and Ranford get a real look at filling holes next year. There's talent there and the savings could help if they need a buyout in net or if a stud D is there. A couple veteran hard-working grinder types wouldn't bother me on the lower lines either if they are bargains.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kari also has a NMC thanks to Nieuwy. Will be hard to move. Nill probably tried before this season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad