GDT: 2016 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 1st, 2016 | 12:00 PM EST (18:00 CET)

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I was just thinking (while reading this "Edmonton will win the Stanley Cup next season" thread :laugh:), if Edmonton is in playoff contention with a Talbot injury you have to think Bishop becomes a deadline gold mine.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
How much will they take playoff performances into account? That could either leave Killer very disappointed or very happy.

Killer scares me, I think he could end up with an unfriendly cap number. Hope I'm wrong. Makes me wonder what they were offered. Did SY really lowball them? Did they look at the Stamkos and Hedman examples and say pfft?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well alrighty then. That stinks. I have a feeling that Vladdy may end up very disappointed.

Killer I get, but Vladdy? ****, I'd be surprised if he gets 2 million in arbitration.

Killorn is harder to peg. I think his best comparable might be Shaw, who just got 3.9.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Yeah, I think Vladdy got some bad advice from somebody. He didn't look especially good (not bad, just not really good) last season overall, and he was awful in the playoffs.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Holy overreaction Batman, to elect for arbitration is quite common and 8 times out of 10 an agreement is reached before the period of arbitration. Vladdy is certainly not gonna break the bank, he's probably looking for like a $250.000 raise or something, which is a pretty big deal for people who aren't double figure multi-millionaire yet.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Anything over 4 and my guess is we'll immediately look to move him. Yeah, he's a 4m player in the playoffs, but we're gonna need him at a team-friendly number.

Really don't want to give Vladdy anything over 2. IMO, he hasn't proven a thing at the NHL level yet.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah, I think Vladdy got some bad advice from somebody. He didn't look especially good (not bad, just not really good) last season overall, and he was awful in the playoffs.

He just wants to get paid. He spend almost the majority of his ELC in the AHL at 70k, he did get a 92.5k signing bonus all e years but I believe all ELC's have some sort of one. Last year he took a lesser deal to the ELC one for NHL salary. He had a very good season for someone in their first full year and wants to make some money, we don't know what he's looking for or what Yzerman is offering yet.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh boy. I really, REALLY hope Kucherov's deal gets done before arbitration settlements with Killorn and Vladdy. God knows we wouldn't survive an offer sheet for very long. I've always been scared to death of losing him because he was always like the guys I'd watch on other teams and think, "Man I wish we had him." Thank God he's NOT arbitration eligible or else he'd have a much higher number than what Yzerman is probably offering.

As for Killer I think he gets something like $3.75 million. Namestnikov will be lucky to get $1.5 million if he's lucky. Chances both will be on short term contracts which makes them both readily movable.

All I can say is chances are Yzerman did the math and spent every last penny and wasn't going to budge on his figures.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Killer I get, but Vladdy? ****, I'd be surprised if he gets 2 million in arbitration.

Killorn is harder to peg. I think his best comparable might be Shaw, who just got 3.9.

Here are some guys that went to arbitration last summer that are comparable to Killorn and Namestnikov

For Killer
M. Johansson after a season with 20g 27a 47pts got $3.75
M. Boedker 17g 34a 51pts got $3.75

For Vlady
L. Bouma after 16g 18a 34 pts got $2.2

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Oh boy. I really, REALLY hope Kucherov's deal gets done before arbitration settlements with Killorn and Vladdy. God knows we wouldn't survive an offer sheet for very long. I've always been scared to death of losing him because he was always like the guys I'd watch on other teams and think, "Man I wish we had him." Thank God he's NOT arbitration eligible or else he'd have a much higher number than what Yzerman is probably offering.

As for Killer I think he gets something like $3.75 million. Namestnikov will be lucky to get $1.5 million if he's lucky. Chances both will be on short term contracts which makes them both readily movable.

All I can say is chances are Yzerman did the math and spent every last penny and wasn't going to budge on his figures.

We can go over the cap by roughly 7mil, so we can match then make moves.

Namestnikov had 35 points last year, his production per 60 was pretty high so he should be able to get 1.5 easily.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We can go over the cap by roughly 7mil, so we can match then make moves.

Namestnikov had 35 points last year, his production per 60 was pretty high so he should be able to get 1.5 easily.

That cap overage part I didn't know. Callahan being on the LTIR would help a lot too. I know its a cheeky move but it'll probably have to be done. I personally don't want him playing until he's 100% and fully back into game shape. Missing 5 months of offseason training and going through rehab is gonna take some time to rebound from. There's absolutely no need to rush his recovery when Killorn can take his spot in the top 6 playing with Stamkos and Drouin providing that Cooper keeps the TKO line together.

That would put us well into November and by then Yzerman will have had more than enough time to figure things out to get us under the cap.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Here are some guys that went to arbitration last summer that are comparable to Killorn and Namestnikov

For Killer
M. Johansson after a season with 20g 27a 47pts got $3.75
M. Boedker 17g 34a 51pts got $3.75

For Vlady
L. Bouma after 16g 18a 34 pts got $2.2

I'm great with $3.75 million AAV for Killorn. I've long since figured that would be about what he would get. Namestnikov is hard to gauge. Considering his short track record I'd say that $2.2 million would be more than generous.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
We aren't losing Kucherov guys. We would lose both Killorn and Names before losing him. Talented offensive juggernauts like him don't fall into your lap every year. He single handedly pulled a rabbit out of his Russian ass multiple times this year to keep our run alive. He's a better player than Killorn and Names would be traded with Bishop or Flip before we would consider losing Kucherov.

Not a chance.

As for Killorn and Names, I hope they sign at reasonable numbers. I can see Killorn at 4.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
The fact that Kucherov, Killorn, and Namestnikov haven’t been signed yet leads me to believe that they are asking for way more than the numbers we have been throwing out.

For this to work players are going to have to be replaced from within. Who are the roster players that can be replaced by prospects and when?

Filppula – Namestnikov (as early as next season)
Bishop – Vasilevski (would be best to wait one more year)
Garrison – Koekkoek (needs at least one full NHL season)
Callahan – Stephens (1 years at least, not a lot of RW in pipeline)
Killorn – Erne, Yan, Katchouk, Raddysh (1-3 years out)
Coburn – Masin, Hajek (2-3 years although Coburn is playing right side and there is a serious shortage of RHD in the pipeline)
Johnson – Point, Howden (nobody in the near future, maybe Peca but would be big downgrade)

Guys for whom there are no potential replacements in the system:
Kucherov, Drouin, Palat

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Killorn is worth between 3.5 and 4 per season. His performance is consistent and we can count on him for 40 points. I predict he will sign at 3.5 for one year.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
In most cases, arb is just to keep the process moving along, but in this case these two I think are a bit off on numbers. I think Killorn is likely to get close to what hes asking, though.

Vlad doesn't have the greatest argument to put up, nor will he have the best similarity scores just because this was really his first full season. Having two seasons of 43 and 4 games isn't a great foundation to start with. We don't really have access to the leagues arb database (or at least I don't) so I can't say with certainty as hockey-ref only uses "point shares" which is kinda meh as far as comparison stats go. Body of work is too small. They're going to want to tread very carefully with him though as whatever he gets will reflect on Drouin in a year and potentially hurt. Vlad with 3 points in god-knows-how-many-playoff-games helps us financially.

Arb is always weird - you want to find comparables, and basically say "okay, you're like XXXXX player except you had a much worse playoffs, but your regular season was similar, so we're thinking $playercaphit minus 10%", but in his case, his best comp that I can see right this moment is Erik Haula in Minnesota, who made $1.0m last year but is 25 and an RFA, not to mention a 7th rounder. Also had a better playoffs in a lesser role. I really can't put together what he would be asking for, other than maybe term...

If I had to guess or start crunching numbers for him, it looks like Coyle (MIN), Silfverberg (ANA), and Zibanejad (OTT) are Killorns best comps.

Important Bits:
Killorn is older than the others in this comp, but not by much.
Killorn is listed as a center, but isn't always a center. Coyle lists C/W.
Zibanejad has had better seasons than all the last two years, with quiet playoffs when there.
Zib makes 2.625 as a 23 y/o with one year left on his contract. He is youngest.
Coyle is a hit of 3.2 but with yearly climbing salary, also took a 5 year deal as a 23 y/o. Playoff numbers extremely pedestrian.
Silf makes 3.75 and is closest in age to Killorn, also had two good playoffs runs the last two years.

I'd guess they're going to base an argument around Silfverberg and aim for roughly $3.8m, which could be very good for both sides on a Coyle-like deal. Place him at 4-5 years if you're serious about keeping him, try to get the AAV around 3.8 which is incredibly reasonable for a swiss army knife like him. I'm guessing his agent will have an ask of $4m-$4.4m and JB/SY will aim for around 3.75.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
It would have been shocking if neither player filed for arbitration. Not doing so would have left both without any negotiating leverage. Would have been ill-advised, negligent not to file.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
dont panic its all gonna work out most i see killer is 4 x term and vlad is 2.25 x term

nothing to worry about if that happened i really believe if we want term for kucherov he would agree to difference

anyway im not worried it also lets us think on another buy out if needed which in itself is interesting

figure steve is on the phone on a couple characters and seeing what is out there

i think killorn gets 3.5 x 3 tops and vlad gets 2x2 wouldnt surprise me if vlad just gets a 2 million deal for 1 year as a prove it deal

the more i think of kucherov the more i realize right now he doesnt have much negotiation leverage himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad