GDT: 2016 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 1st, 2016 | 12:00 PM EST (18:00 CET)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really don't understand how this team has better scoring depth if we go into another year with the same group of forwards again and that's what it looks like. The only changes after resigning both Brown and Paquette, is Names and Flip. Which one do we keep? Flip is a better 3C for now at a higher cost and Names is cheaper yet he was very much part of the lack of scoring depth in the playoffs. He isn't suited for a lower role, which be honest, is where he will be at with the triplets, drouin, killer and Stamkos on this team. Not excusing Flip and his lack of production, I'm just wondering what we are doing with the forwards after getting beaten in the ECF and pointing towards a lack of scoring depth. Are we really going into another year with the same group and possibly removing what kept us there the past 3 years in Bishop?

I'm very happy with the moves we've made so far just in resigning our guys, but like last year when all we changed was Condra in place of Morrow, is anybody else kind of scratching their head about this?

We have to see if Flip frees up some money.

We do have better scoring depth, at least a little bit, because Drouin will now be in the top-six and getting real minutes (fingers crossed). That'll push one of our top-six forwards down to the bottom-six, giving us a little more bite down there hopefully.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
that trochek contract is terrible in killorn negotiations for my two cents

tallon is really overpaying guys this offseason

i like ekblad the rest NOOOO too much yandle and trochek are too long and too high lol

I am seriously believing in stephen f yzermans ability to pull out more miracles but damn thats rough knowing killorn is like a playoff god for trochek to get some much after two years lol

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
that trochek contract is terrible in killorn negotiations for my two cents

tallon is really overpaying guys this offseason

i like ekblad the rest NOOOO too much yandle and trochek are too long and too high lol

I am seriously believing in stephen f yzermans ability to pull out more miracles but damn thats rough knowing killorn is like a playoff god for trochek to get some much after two years lol

He's not a playoff god, everyone needs to stop overrating his playoff ability just because it's above his regular season standard, he had 13 points and 5 goals in 17 games and people talk like he scored 20+.

Trocheck is a better player, younger and plays center, they got one hell of a deal for him. Paying him that much from ages 23-29 is perfect.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He's not a playoff god, everyone needs to stop overrating his playoff ability just because it's above his regular season standard, he had 13 points and 5 goals in 17 games and people talk like he scored 20+.

Trochek is a better player, younger and plays center, they got one hell of a deal for him. Paying him that much from ages 23-29 is perfect.

so far and im saying right now will not keep happening killorn is winning over stamkos in playoff career. I get the regular season and i hear these other teams calling guys swiss army knifes but truly I dont see many I put in killers value of being a true swiss army knife he is hockeys zobrist is baseballs lol

anyway i get center i get 53 points etc.. but i wouldnt have given that much to trochek your saying they got a hell of a deal?

palat and johnson both out perform trochek in their first years. 3.33 compared to 5 years i believe 4.75?

glad we have our gm seriously. I was more pointing out in my humble opinion tallon is opening the bank a little too easily so far this offseason...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
so far and im saying right now will not keep happening killorn is winning over stamkos in playoff career. I get the regular season and i hear these other teams calling guys swiss army knifes but truly I dont see many I put in killers value of being a true swiss army knife he is hockeys zobrist is baseballs lol

anyway i get center i get 53 points etc.. but i wouldnt have given that much to trochek your saying they got a hell of a deal?

palat and johnson both out perform trochek in their first years. 3.33 compared to 5 years i believe 4.75?

glad we have our gm seriously. I was more pointing out in my humble opinion tallon is opening the bank a little too easily so far this offseason...

You wouldn't give a 22 year old center under 5m for 6 years? What should they do give him 3.33 for 2 years and then break bank at 6-7m if he progresses like Johnson and Palat did after their bridge deals? Great deal by Talon.

And actually no, Killorn is on par with Stamkos is playoff career, the only reason he "seems" better is because his expectations are much lower, don't confuse that with actual performance. Thing with Stamkos vs Killorn is that clearly Stamkos has 2-3 more gears to step it up in the playoffs while a Killorn at his best is playing at the level of a sub-par Stamkos.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
You wouldn't give a 22 year old center under 5m for 6 years? What should they do give him 3.33 for 2 years and then break bank at 6-7m if he progresses like Johnson and Palat did after their bridge deals? Great deal by Talon.

And actually no, Killorn is on par with Stamkos is playoff career, the only reason he "seems" better is because his expectations are much lower, don't confuse that with actual performance. Thing with Stamkos vs Killorn is that clearly Stamkos has 2-3 more gears to step it up in the playoffs while a Killorn at his best is playing at the level of a sub-par Stamkos.

I don't get it. Killorn is on par with Stamkos in the playoffs offense-wise but you completely omitted he's a much better two way and possession player. 0.7 point/game playoffs performers with above average defense is consensus first line material. Palat is my favorite player and it pained me to admit it but this year I was forced to recognize he doesn't have that extra gear Killorn possesses in the playoffs. Killer's regular season stats are nothing to write home about but that's main reason we could probably re-sign him at a bargain price too. Keeping Killorn is a win-win situation cap-wise. To the point that even if my heart tells me keep Namestnikov at all cost, you can't keep him over a more valuable player like Killorn, particularly when depth at center is already stronger. The best decision for the team would be to trade Namestnikov, re-sign Killorn and keep Flip as the 3rd line center before either we buy him out or trade him in the next offseason. I ******* hated to say that, but that's how the cap crunch goes.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't get it. Killorn is on par with Stamkos in the playoffs offense-wise but you completely omitted he's a much better two way and possession player. 0.7 point/game playoffs performers with above average defense is consensus first line material. Palat is my favorite player and it pained me to admit it but this year I was forced to recognize he doesn't have that extra gear Killorn possesses in the playoffs. Killer's regular season stats are nothing to write home about but that's main reason we could probably re-sign him at a bargain price too. Keeping Killorn is a win-win situation cap-wise. To the point that even if my heart tells me keep Namestnikov at all cost, you can't keep him over a more valuable player like Killorn, particularly when depth at center is already stronger. The best decision for the team would be to trade Namestnikov, re-sign Killorn and keep Flip as the 3rd line center before either we buy him out or trade him in the next offseason. I ******* hated to say that, but that's how the cap crunch goes.

I could get by with that, not as high on Namestnikov as everyone else. Only thing is that Namestnikov is likely going to be coming in cheap.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

some comparables would you give them six years almost 5 million?

jt miller? david desharnais? i just see nothing special myself. He had one ok year hes not shown he is worth this kind of money. Or guys like conacher would get deals like this and how did that turn out? 3rd round draft pick his faceoffs are not great ...

if vladdy goes out and puts up sixty this year im still not giving him this contract he has to do it consistently a couple times etc.

brian little signed 2nd contract after putting up one year of 50 points got 2,300,000 primarily

3 years later after scoring right there around 50 4 of 5 years he got a deal at 4.7 trochecks numbers. for 5 years total.

I am used to progressions like that. Salaries with a little more thought a little more prove it to me:)

Not saying its even comparable to deal but still its jumping the gun to me bigtime:)

Is deals every year worse a lot worse to be fair. I am just glad stevie is running things so dont have this insanity. I mean nielsen to wings? that was too much years to me.

I dont want stevie to give everyone eight years. Etc.. Drouin is only guy im ok paying early they decided on doing that with vasy so will live with it and understand it not that I fully agree:)

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I could get by with that, not as high on Namestnikov as everyone else. Only thing is that Namestnikov is likely going to be coming in cheap.

It's true he's still a work in progress and the most likely to bust, but I really like his game, he plays the right way and when I see a flash of prowess from him, I can't help it but to salivate over what this kid could become if he peaks accordingly. But yeah to keep Killorn instead makes us a stronger team. I only hope SFY makes his decisions who's getting thrown out quickly, so we can move on.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

also nothing on other posters but you two matt and werewolf make more sense to me more of the time than most of us:)

id be upset if not a trade that benefits us in losing either killer or vlady

i have high hopes for vladdy i wish could fast forward till hes 25 has the muscle body will have then 2 more years 2018-2019 and see if he can be at a weight which allows him to dominate and be more like palat.

I think if can keep adding muscle weight hes gonna be a fierce competitor in the league but unsure he can get to that size is my only question like 185-190 is ideal weight to me with his height i thought he is just shy of a six footer.

right now he is still a little small for game he wants to play. So hope he gets a little more weight 10-25 pounds at least over next couple seasons as long as doesnt effect his speed

also look forward to kucherov putting on more muscle even though he does fine without it so far

he will never be a hitter like a palat or even vladdy but im saying when he laid a guy out in playoffs i doubt i ever yelled so loud :)

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I really don't understand how this team has better scoring depth if we go into another year with the same group of forwards again and that's what it looks like. The only changes after resigning both Brown and Paquette, is Names and Flip. Which one do we keep? Flip is a better 3C for now at a higher cost and Names is cheaper yet he was very much part of the lack of scoring depth in the playoffs. He isn't suited for a lower role, which be honest, is where he will be at with the triplets, drouin, killer and Stamkos on this team. Not excusing Flip and his lack of production, I'm just wondering what we are doing with the forwards after getting beaten in the ECF and pointing towards a lack of scoring depth. Are we really going into another year with the same group and possibly removing what kept us there the past 3 years in Bishop?

I'm very happy with the moves we've made so far just in resigning our guys, but like last year when all we changed was Condra in place of Morrow, is anybody else kind of scratching their head about this?

Weren't we the top scoring teams a few seasons ago with this group? The production dropped last year but half the team had serious down seasons. There's no telling if they can't get back to their old form. Guys like Drouin, Namestnikov and Kucherov aren't young and improving. Brown is becoming more consistent which should help. Another thing that hurt our scoring was a lack of scoring from the backend. Only Hedman, Stralman and Sustr put up 20 or more points, Koekkoek should help generate more offense.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Weren't we the top scoring teams a few seasons ago with this group? The production dropped last year but half the team had serious down seasons. There's no telling if they can't get back to their old form. Guys like Drouin, Namestnikov and Kucherov aren't young and improving. Brown is becoming more consistent which should help. Another thing that hurt our scoring was a lack of scoring from the backend. Only Hedman, Stralman and Sustr put up 20 or more points, Koekkoek should help generate more offense.

one year before we were top scoring team i assume pitt was that last year and pitt was close to us that year before thought they were second or close

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Has the defense been addressed regarding the draft expansion ? We can protect only 3 dmen, it'll likely be Hedman, Stralman and Koekkoek but Coburn and Garrison have no trade clauses, can they be exposed despite their clauses ? So far I just read only no-moves clauses must be protected. The other solution, less ideal, would be to keep Koekkoek under 40 NHL games played to exempt him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yeah but then you'll run into the exact same problem in the playoffs, bottom 6 disappears, that's 2 years in a row with the same group.

Palat-Stamkos-Drouin
Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov
Namestnikov-Filppula-Callahan
Brown-Boyle-Condra

If only we could ditch the Filppula and Callahan contracts for some better offensive depth, Coburn's as well while we're at it. Our top-6 is elite, no question but the bottom 6 just feels like plugs outside of Boyle who excels in his role. We need a 3rd scoring line that generates possesion and shots as opposed to a 12m "shutdown" line.

Our defense is fine with just a Hedman-Stralman pairing, I'd rather have more scoring depth then overpaying #4/5 d-men, as Pittsburgh proved this year, the best defense is a good offense.

If we had fowards playing like theirs did this year, I'd be much more comfortable with Vasi in net, because you wouldn't be as reliant on a goaltender. Honestly Murray wasn't THAT great, their forwards did one hell of a job.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Has the defense been addressed regarding the draft expansion ? We can protect only 3 dmen, it'll likely be Hedman, Stralman and Koekkoek but Coburn and Garrison have no trade clauses, can they be exposed despite their clauses ? So far I just read only no-moves clauses must be protected. The other solution, less ideal, would be to keep Koekkoek under 40 NHL games played to exempt him.

NTC's don't matter, only NMC's.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Yeah but then you'll run into the exact same problem in the playoffs, bottom 6 disappears, that's 2 years in a row with the same group.

Palat-Stamkos-Drouin
Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov
Brown-Boyle-Condra

If only we could ditch the Filppula and Callahan contracts for some better offensive depth, Coburn's as well while we're at it. Our top-6 is elite, no question but the bottom 6 just feels like plugs outside of Boyle who excels in his role. We need a 3rd scoring line that generates possesion and shots as opposed to a 12m "shutdown" line.

Our defense is fine with just a Hedman-Stralman pairing, I'd rather have more scoring depth then overpaying #4/5 d-men, as Pittsburgh proved this year, the best defense is a good offense.

If we had fowards playing like theirs did this year, I'd be much more comfortable with Vasi in net, because you wouldn't be as reliant on a goaltender. Honestly Murray wasn't THAT great, their forwards did one hell of a job.

ya would be nice

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Palat-Stamkos-Drouin
Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov
Brown-Boyle-Condra

I think the bottom 6 scoring disappears is because Cooper plays the match up game with them and uses them in heavy defensive situations. They don't have the same freedoms they do in the regular season plus playoff games are always tighter and lower scoring so most bottom 6 players struggle a bit. It would be nice to score a bit more but bringing in a strictly offensive player, Pirri, will only help in the regular season. Pirri would get the JAM treatment. We need more from Callahan and Filppula but I'm sure Cooper doesn't care if they score as long as the other team doesn't on them either.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Palat-Stamkos-Drouin
Killorn-Johnson-Kucherov
Brown-Boyle-Condra

I think mainly Filppula has to go. I'm with you on Namestnikov--I just don't see it with him. But, in terms of depth scoring, I think he's a better option than Filppula. By moving Filppula out, we'd have the money to bring in a cheap LW scorer to slot in there. Just someone who can plug in 15+20.

I'm still holding out hope that someone's going to surprise us at training camp and force their way onto the roster too. A little bit of rookie enthusiasm might be a good thing right now.

Koekkoek should also help our scoring, I think. He can move the puck. There'll be growing pains, but I think he'll put up 20 points or so. If he's even halfway competent in his own zone, that'll be a huge upgrade over Matt Carle.

So I do think there's been slight improvement. We had mostly the same tools last year, but we seem more likely to actually use them properly this year. We've essentially added a 60(?) point forward in Drouin, and that'll have a ripple effect. We rarely had him and Stamkos in the top-six together last year.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think we're stuck with Fil until after the expansion draft. I doubt teams want to use one of their protected slots on him.

Why does everyone keep saying this? Has anyone confirmed the exact details of his contract, from the wording it doesn't seem like a full NMC. Even if it is one that needs protection we can ask him to waive it, he's got to know that his options or waive for expansion or trade or else he gets bought out. Figured he'd want to waive so he wants to get his full 5mil salary there's no guarantee he'll get more than 1.6 on his next deal to make up the difference.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
TJ Brennan is still unsigned as of this morning. Stud defenseman at 27 for the AHL level who could easily provide a filler at the NHL level as needed. One of the top 5 defensemen in the AHL for the past few seasons, is a SOB to play against and one of those guys you hate on the other team but would love to see in your uniform.
SFY HINT HINT! please?

Sorry cr, Brennan signed multi-year with the Flyers.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Allegedly the Panthers could go after Vadim Shipachyov. Boy no rest for the wicked right now. If the does leave then it makes me wonder what Nikita Gusev has left to play for in SKA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad