GDT: 2016 NHL Free Agent Frenzy | July 1st, 2016 | 12:00 PM EST (18:00 CET)

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I don't know if we should start a GDT for today or if we should just keep it here since we don't know how active we'll be but anyway, here are some news:

And here are some early speculations:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Happy free agent frenzy - day!

Hoping for a fun day (though I'm not sure if anything can beat those 30 minutes on Wednesday).

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Mtl trades PK for character issue and then signs Rads.... Pretty sure Weber is not a big fan of his moreover. Rads is ******* legit though.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I expect the Lightning to be real quiet today. Hope Yzerman learned his lesson and not try to bring fourth liners like Condra & Morrow and instead trust in players like Marchessault, Gourde, Richard, and Vermin to provide this year's "tweener" forward depth.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
It's all day but I think TSN will start their covarage at 11AM. NHL network will start theirs at noon.

Meant does the league open for business at noon or something. With a tampering period you'd think as soon as someone could sign they would instead of waiting until later in the day

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
It's all day but I think TSN will start their covarage at 11AM. NHL network will start theirs at noon.

TSN's coverage is usually geo-blocked from the US, though. For FA or deadline coverage, we usually get stuck with Rogers being piped in, which kinda sucks because Rogers really sucks. It feels like a crime to have to get through these days without direct access to Bob McKenzie.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the Leafs are going to make a run at Staal. Makes more sense than Stamkos to me.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think the Leafs are going to make a run at Staal. Makes more sense than Stamkos to me.

I don't think it makes more sense than Stamkos, but Toronto is in transition, and it does make sense for them to take a punt on guys like Staal on a short term deal where it seems like he's crashing hard, but there may be life left in him. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out with him, and he's gone in time for the team to git gud.

I'd be curious if Staal is aiming for the Las Vegas expansion team. He'd be a relatively big fish for them to start with and he's used to a "non-traditional hockey market".

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Elliott Friedman mentioned Kucherov as a possible offer sheet target. (Not in a way that made it sound like he had inside info. But this is worrisome to me, given our cap situation.)

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Told you guys Helm would be a lot of money. Also, Radulov is weird. Like The Green Unit said, why would you trade a case like Subban to acquire an even bigger problem in Radulov? Chances are Weber head smashes him first practice like he did years ago to Z.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad