2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
Despite money Swiss league's overall quality depends mainly of homegrown players. Teams can only dress 4 foreigners and while many of those are big names, 4 players can only do so much. Finnish league hasn't have quota for foreign players in few years, but some teams still have only very few foreigners. Mostly because it seems to be extremely difficult to guess how even very good players will transfer. 'AHL lottery ticket' is the often used phrase in Finnish Liiga. For every David McIntyre and Corey Elkins, who end up doing great, you have five Corey Lockes, who simply don't do well at all.

When Liiga and NLA teams play against each other and other European teams in CHL, Liiga teams tend to do much better. Last season there was one NLA team in top 8 among 3 SHL teams and 4 Liiga teams. Year before no NLA teams made that far but again 4 Liiga teams did. But NLA teams do indeed pay better and those foreigners they do have tend to be bigger names.

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
My own current top 15:

1. Auston Matthews - C
2. Patrick Laine – W
3. Jesse Puljujarvi – RW
4. Pierre-Luc Dubois – LW/C
5. Tyson Jost - C
6. Matthew Tkachuk - LW
7. Jakob Chychrun – LD
8. Mikhail Sergachev – LD
9. Clayton Keller – C
10. Logan Brown – C
11. Alex Nylander – RW
12. Olli Juolevi – LD
13. Dante Fabbro - RD
14. German Rubstov – C
15. Kieffer Bellows - LW

Pronman's top 100 (now available to all) sure has some surprises -- http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-100-prospects-2016-nhl-draft/story?id=39091742

Beyond Laine at 1, he has Keller at 4!, Jost at 9, Fabbro is the second D picked at 10 (after Juolevi) , Rubstov moves up to 13, Sergachyov finally at 17, Bean at 19, and Clague & Girard up to 22 & 23.

Among other D he mentions before Stanley at 55!, McAvoy makes 26, Fox at 31, Lindgren 38, Dineen 41, Mete 42, Moverare 45, Hajek 46, Greenway 50, Aho (51), Hronek 52 & Allard 54. Other big droppers are Niemelainen at 68, Johansen at 72, and Sean Day at 79.

For the Tage Thompson lovers, he barely gets on at 93.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pronman's top 100 (now available to all) sure has some surprises -- http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-100-prospects-2016-nhl-draft/story?id=39091742

Beyond Laine at 1, he has Keller at 4!, Jost at 9, Fabbro is the second D picked at 10 (after Juolevi) , Rubstov moves up to 13, Sergachyov finally at 17, Bean at 19, and Clague & Girard up to 22 & 23.

Among other D he mentions before Stanley at 55!, McAvoy makes 26, Fox at 31, Lindgren 38, Dineen 41, Mete 42, Moverare 45, Hajek 46, Greenway 50, Aho (51), Hronek 52 & Allard 54. Other big droppers are Niemelainen at 68, Johansen at 72, and Sean Day at 79.

For the Tage Thompson lovers, he barely gets on at 93.

Posted this with the Jet slots last night

ABC made Pronman's top 100 public so can share it here now

2. Matthews
22. Clague
36. Polunin
96. Doudera

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-100-prospects-2016-nhl-draft/story?id=39091742

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Will this affect anything?

Unless it was a type of injury where there is long term concern, which is quite doubtful, this probably changes little. I think 1-2 has been solidified Matthews-Laine, and I wouldn't think this is enough to drop Pulju out of #3.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Will this affect anything?

It could potentially affect a lot. IIRC, Puljujarvi was ranked ahead of Laine until fairly recently. If he has been hobbled by a completely reversible injury (eg simple hernia), scouts may rate him based on his larger body of work before the injury, including MVP at WJC.

I still would not be completely surprised to see him picked ahead of Laine.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most people including most Europeans I've ever talked to say that the Swiss League might have a few more high end players but the teams in Liiga are far and away better overall.

Is there an authoritative answer to this question? Not knocking anybody's opinion but has anyone really analyzed the Euro leagues?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I could write that. Of course Winnipeg is getting calls. So is Toronto. Everybody has to try.

All GM's talk to teams about moving up and moving down this time of year. Guaging the market. Those draft day deals are not done in 5 minutes. They are talked about long in advance.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
not sure why he chose that word either. regardless ehlers is not a better puck handler than laine. everyone here should be able to agree on that. guys hands are just pure silk. very datsyuk like

Do any of us know Laine well enough to say that? Laine has great hands. So does Ehlers, really great. Ehlers has a great shot too but there I think I can safely say Laine is better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All GM's talk to teams about moving up and moving down this time of year. Guaging the market. Those draft day deals are not done in 5 minutes. They are talked about long in advance.

Exactly. Those deals where a team waits to see if a player they want is available at a certain spot were discussed well in advance. Chevy will have put out feelers to NJD, Sens and Canes on what he might have to add to 22 if player x is available. There would probably be more deals like that actually happen except that when push comes to shove the other team decides that they would like player x for themselves. But occasionally there is a fit.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Mandatory military service was a big deal during that era when your country borders the Soviet Union

It's hasn't gone anywhere and by default applies to Laine, Pulju and all our 18-29 y.o. youngsters. The world class sportsmen like the NHL folks usually do theirs in the Defence Forces Sports School where the individual sportsing needs can be taken care of and the military training doesn't hamper sportsing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mandatory military service was a big deal during that era when your country borders the Soviet Union

I know that. He could have gotten out of it IIRC but took it seriously and did his duty. Good for him. That isn't the point. You will see that he managed to play a full season of Liiga in 3 of the 4 years after he was drafted. I think the other one he was injured. I'm going by memory and it was almost 30 years ago but I recall that he could have expedited the military service and come here sooner. I'm not saying that he didn't want to come here but he was content to take his time. He was in no hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad