2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
From what info I've read, it's more accurate to say that he's Eichel level and that might even be slightly generous, as many feel he would have gone 3rd if he were in the 2015 draft. And I think Chychrun is more of a Doughty type than Ekblad. To me, it the gap doesn't appear to be as big as you are suggesting.

Quite frankly you are wrong.

All 10 scouts had Matthews as #1 on McKenzie's list. Chychrun wasn't even the unanimous #2.

Matthews is just as good if not better than Eichel. He had a better draft year-1 than Eichel did and he's killing it in Switzerland right now. Plays the game like Toews. He could be an even better version of Toews, how could you not want that??!!

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
yeah id rather move up with our pitts first tbh, and try to get the best dmen we can, we really need the high end dmen, its good to draft the best you can later on but at some point you need to draft high to get a good dmen

i agree matthews is on eichels level, but too soon to tell what chychrun could be i think hes a franchise d in the making, like someone said doughty

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Quite frankly you are wrong.

All 10 scouts had Matthews as #1 on McKenzie's list. Chychrun wasn't even the unanimous #2.

Matthews is just as good if not better than Eichel. He had a better draft year-1 than Eichel did and he's killing it in Switzerland right now. Plays the game like Toews. He could be an even better version of Toews, how could you not want that??!!

He's in the same range as Eichel. Weather he's slightly better, slightly worse, or dead even is open to debate...and I'll leave that to those who have watched plenty of both. I assume you have since you have such a strong opinion. I think we do agree on his awesomeness, since I agree that he's probably at least as good as Toews. He seems to be more dynamic offensively from what I can tell.

Just because 10 out of 10 scouts have him ahead of Chychrun doesn't necessarily mean the gap is big, I'm sure 10 out of 10 scouts had Tavares ahead of Hedman, how big is that gap now? Same for Stamkos over Doughty. 10 out of 10 B Mac scouts probably had McDavid ahead of Eichel, so by your own standards they're not close and there is no actual McEichel tier. Perhaps I value defenders more than you?

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
my gawd i want matthews...we have a lot of puck skills, passing and vision in nylander, marner, and kadri...but we need that elite pure sniper-like goal scorer

how sick is this top 6

LW - matthews and jvr
C - nylander and kadri
RW - marner and kapanen

:amazed:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
my gawd i want matthews...we have a lot of puck skills, passing and vision in nylander, marner, and kadri...but we need that elite pure sniper-like goal scorer

how sick is this top 6

LW - matthews and jvr
C - nylander and kadri
RW - marner and kapanen

:amazed:

Matthews actually plays centre.

You could see something like

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Kap(can play both wings-Nylander-Brown

Flip Kadri for help on RD.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Few of 2016 draft eligible prospect off to hot starts.

Alex DeBrincat (C/RW) 5-8/161 - Erie Otters (OHL) - 5 games 10-3-13 points

Brayden Burke (C/LW) 5-10/163 - Lethbridge (WHL) - 6 games 2-12-14 points. [2.33 PPG] (teammate of Andrew Nielsen)

Tyson Jost (C/LW) 5-11/192 - Penticton Vees (BCHL) - 8 games 5-11-16 points [2.0 PPG]

Vitali Abramov (LW) 5-9/170 - Gatineau (QMJHL) - 11 games 7-12-19 points

Samuel Girard (D) 5-9/165- Shawinigan (QMJHL) - 11 games 1-17-18 points

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Laine is pretty much a worse version of Mikko Rantanen with apparent character issues (I'll trust you on that one).

I'd prefer someone with some size. With Nylander and Marner, along with a mixture of Johnson, Brown, Leivo, etc. occupying our top 9, we could use someone whose got real size. Someone like Dubois or Gauthier from the Q among others (both could be available with the Pittsburgh pick).

Didn't Nylander have character issues?

These kids!

It's a business and it is up to the CEO of that individual to manage their own career, so if they have to do something to benefit them you have to accept that.

As long as he isn't Gilloolying anyone who cares at this point it is making the show.

Do we have a legitimate link to character issues, or is this and RedLine type of exaggeration?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Didn't Nylander have character issues?

These kids!

It's a business and it is up to the CEO of that individual to manage their own career, so if they have to do something to benefit them you have to accept that.

As long as he isn't Gilloolying anyone who cares at this point it is making the show.

Do we have a legitimate link to character issues, or is this and RedLine type of exaggeration?

On this site, a few Finnish posters have touched on how Laine is not exactly liked by his coaches or teammates. Apparently he's a bit immature and selfish - he's a teen so I am sure he can grow out of it but it is out there.

Laine is a good talent who I see as a 6-12 type of pick. The 1st round of this draft, and even going up until about half way through the 2nd, looks pretty deep.

Although I do llike how the Leafs have been playing (effort, not being out shot badly etc etc) - Matthews is a realistic possibility.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
He's in the same range as Eichel. Weather he's slightly better, slightly worse, or dead even is open to debate...and I'll leave that to those who have watched plenty of both.

Whether* ;) and agreed.

I assume you have since you have such a strong opinion.

I've only seen Eichel play for the Sabres (preseason and regular season) and USA, Matthews I have seen a good bit of. And having watched Matthews, there is nothing to not love. He's a 200 foot player, with great offensive ability and speed. He's every teams dream #1C. For reference. Button gave him a perfect 5/5 in all of his categories.

I think we do agree on his awesomeness, since I agree that he's probably at least as good as Toews. He seems to be more dynamic offensively from what I can tell.

Completely agreed.

Just because 10 out of 10 scouts have him ahead of Chychrun doesn't necessarily mean the gap is big, I'm sure 10 out of 10 scouts had Tavares ahead of Hedman, how big is that gap now? Same for Stamkos over Doughty. 10 out of 10 B Mac scouts probably had McDavid ahead of Eichel, so by your own standards they're not close and there is no actual McEichel tier. Perhaps I value defenders more than you?

Matthews is the unanimous pick to go #1. The gap is fairly significant, the only way he doesn't go first overall is if he suffers a serious injury.

Chychrun will be an elite player and I would love to have him, but Matthews level players are beyond rare.

Going back to the poll option, trading Matthews for that package would make me sick.

Finnleaf81

Mar 30, 2013
Finland
On this site, a few Finnish posters have touched on how Laine is not exactly liked by his coaches or teammates. Apparently he's a bit immature and selfish - he's a teen so I am sure he can grow out of it but it is out there.

A bit immature. Year ago he was kicked out from U18-team in Ivan Hlinka tournament, it was reported that he showed his finger to the coach and threatened to kill him. Team mates had to hold him back. All this because coach didn't put him on the ice for final minutes while playing without goalie. After the game captains asked that management should sent him back home.

But yes, he can shoot. Still, hopefully Leafs draft some other player next summer.

Oh, and that was reported by all tabloids and newspapers in Finland and confirmed by coach.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
In the prospects board check out the Auston Matthews thread and watch the shift-by-shift game recaps of Matthews.
Tremendous speed, vision, hands, and patience and obviously good size 6-1 or 6-2.
There is no way you pass on a franchise #1 center like him. You take him and put Marner on his wing and laugh all the way to the bank

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
A bit immature. Year ago he was kicked out from U18-team in Ivan Hlinka tournament, it was reported that he showed his finger to the coach and threatened to kill him. Team mates had to hold him back. All this because coach didn't put him on the ice for final minutes while playing without goalie. After the game captains asked that management should sent him back home.

But yes, he can shoot. Still, hopefully Leafs draft some other player next summer.

Oh, and that was reported by all tabloids and newspapers in Finland and confirmed by coach.

He's a teenager. They do some pretty dumb stuff. Usually kids end up growing up.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Whats the deal with Fabbro? Cant really see him play in the bchl but he's probably a top 3-4 dman in this draft

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Matthews actually plays centre.

You could see something like

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Kap(can play both wings-Nylander-Brown

Flip Kadri for help on RD.

jvr matthews marner
kap nylander brown

rielly gardiner
dermott vatanen
percy harrington

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Whats the deal with Fabbro? Cant really see him play in the bchl but he's probably a top 3-4 dman in this draft

He's a right handed defender, i've read his playing style compared to Seabrook. I recently saw him ranked 8th overall, still he may be a target with our Pitts 1st since playing in the bchl may hurt his draft stock. Would I ever love to score a quality RHD with that second 1st rounder.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I'm going to go see him play in person next week (Oct 21st) as they take on the West Kelowna warriors of the BCHL. West Kelowna is also the local team here for me along with the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL having both leagues with teams in the area.

Both Fabbro and his teammate Tyson Jost of the Penticton Vees are both 1st round ranked 2016 prospects and I'm interested as you are to see these 2 in action live.

Top BCHL defenseman Dante Fabbro has committed to Boston University for next year.

Here is story in the local papers about their performance at the U-17s for Canada
Vees recruits shine at Canadian under-17 camp

Two of the Penticton Vees top recruits put on impressive displays at the Canadian under-17 development camp in Calgary that wrapped up on Tuesday.

Forward Tyson Jost racked up eight points in three games and defenceman Dante Fabbro carded three assists as they skated among the 96 best 1998-born players from across the country.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/sports/local_sports/article_29b93f74-1cfd-11e4-90b1-001a4bcf6878.html

Craig Button of TSN: "Great confidence playing and he initiates the play from a defensive aspect and in transition also. Given an opening, he will take it but is very adept at understanding what play is available to him and adjusting accordingly. An all situations player who wants to make a difference."

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
trade kadri for vatanen

Anaheim wouldn't do that - They have Getzlaf-Kesler as their 1-2 punch down the middle.

Rakell and Thompson are good (cheap) 3-4 centres as well.

No need for Kadri. They might do it for a good LW or an upgrade on defense.

I personally wouldn't bother with any deal for Vatanen.

Shwaguy*

Soooo if we got Matthews we could have a really good shot at having 1-2-3 for the Calder next year with Matthews, Marner, and Nylander.

That'd be wild.

Although I have a gut feeling that being able to send Matthews back to the Pro Swiss League would mean he doesn't play next year. Except he'd probably show that he's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to good to go anywhere but the NHL in training camp for whatever NHL team drafts him

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Soooo if we got Matthews we could have a really good shot at having 1-2-3 for the Calder next year with Matthews, Marner, and Nylander.

That'd be wild.

Although I have a gut feeling that being able to send Matthews back to the Pro Swiss League would mean he doesn't play next year. Except he'd probably show that he's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to good to go anywhere but the NHL in training camp for whatever NHL team drafts him

Matthews will be a pretty mature pick, just missed being in last years draft by 2 days. Good size. I think he's NHL ready once he's drafted.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Quick few thoughts on some draft elligible Spitfires. Anyone paying attention to the OHL knew coming in, the Spits were going to have some solid young talent, and modestly high expectations for their future draftees.

Starting with who, IMO, has been a huge disappointment so far, in Luke Kirwan. He has the size, at 6'2, 230, to be dominant. He's got a good skill level to go along, and thinks the game at a reasonably high level. Nothing, however, is working for him, right now. He's recorded only 2 pts (1G, 1A) through 6 games, and is showing some signs of frustration. He was talked about as a 1st round talent over the summer. Whether his skill catches up to the rest of him remains to be seen.

Logan Brown has been EXCELLENT. Having put up 9pts through 6 games, it's not even his scoring that jumps out at you. He has played to his size, being far more engaged in the play off the puck, which has led to improved play in his own zone, and a little more physicality out of Logan. He looks great, flying around out there, and has really stepped up as a leader early on.

Mikhail Sergachev has been a rock. At times, he forgets to play the body, but when he brings it, he can wipe out opposing forwards with ease. He has a good, active stick, maintains good gap control, and is inclined to make the easy play to safety. His offense has been good, thus far, and he appears to be an 11-25 range pick, if all continues for him. The adjustment to North America is happening smoothly.

Lastly, and although not draft elligible for another year or two, our young goaltender Michael DiPietro, of Amherstburgh, ON, Has been absolutely stellar. He's won all 3 of his starts, posting a .946 sv%, and a 1.62 GAA. At only 16, he shows a calm, collected demeanor beyond his years, great lateral movement, and excellent anticipation. He hasn't gotten flaily, like a lot of youngsters do, which is a great sign. If managed properly, we're probably seeing a 1st round tender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad