Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Keith Tkachuk was the Evander Kane of jets 1.0....I heard nothing but horrible things about him. If the Jets resort to sentimentality to make a pick...well....that's awful.

My understanding reading stuff on this board has been that he started off as Evander Kane-like but then got his act together, redeemed himself with the fans and became an ambassador for the franchise. I could be wrong though.

I am not saying they'll draft him solely for non-hockey reasons but of the race is close, the non-hockey stuff might tip the scale in Tk's favor

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Keith Tkachuk was the Evander Kane of jets 1.0....I heard nothing but horrible things about him. If the Jets resort to sentimentality to make a pick...well....that's awful.

If the Jets pick him it will have nothing to do with sentimentality. It will be because they believe he is the BPA at their pick. What attachment does Chevy and the scouting staff have to Keith? Absolutely none. It's a ridiculous notion.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Exactly. He also cost us Selanne. They couldn't afford both. They made the wrong choice and traded Selanne.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My understanding reading stuff on this board has been that he started off as Evander Kane-like but then got his act together, redeemed himself with the fans and became an ambassador for the franchise. I could be wrong though.

I am not saying they'll draft him solely for non-hockey reasons but of the race is close, the non-hockey stuff might tip the scale in Tk's favor

It may have happened that way but not till after they left Winnipeg. Don't care what he did in Phoenix or St. Louis.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
At 4 I can't see us not drafting Tkachuck even though we should PLD. I think Tkachuck is just way too juicy for TNSE at that slot, the sentimental value of the pick plus drafting a half-hometown boy in the 1st round and the marketing potential will swing the scale (I can already imagine the marketing around the outdoor game with the father playing in the alumni game and the son the Heritage Classic right after) in Tk's favor in the eyes of TNSE. PLD will have to do something to make himself be the better player by a mile in TNSE's eyes for them to pass on Tkachuck but that's just my opinion

Nonsense.

The Jets have looked bush league when it comes to certain decisions made overy the years. Picking players in the first round for their marketing potential isn't something any of us need to be concerned about.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed...you summed that up perfectly. but Chychrun has had a monster game 6 for Sarnia...

hard to say...Juolevi's WJC was unreal. Very tough call...then there's Sergachyev.....tough tough call...

If were looking purely at playoff stats both Sergachev and Chychrun have had a better playoffs so far.
Chychrun has been beasting in the playoffs so far. This kid does it all. He's the kind of guy that can put a team on his back and carry them until reinforcements arrive. I suspect Edmonton takes him in the top 4.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Sentimental pick? Tkachuk signed the offer sheet that served as a death-blow to the Jets in Winnipeg.

Also, while I don't think True North wants to be as closely associated with the WHA/NHL team as they are, I think there are old Jets that TNSE likes. I would be surprised to learn that Tkachuk is one of them.

you're making sense to me Whileee

Me too.

Even if you "cheat" the numbers, can't you just say Tkachuk scores better than a player with __% successful cohorts?

If the Jets pick him it will have nothing to do with sentimentality. It will be because they believe he is the BPA at their pick. What attachment does Chevy and the scouting staff have to Keith? Absolutely none. It's a ridiculous notion.

I agree. I'm not worried at all that they'll take anyone but BPA in the 1st.

They went into the 2015 draft looking for D, fer chrissake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad