Speculation: 2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Continued from: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1941879

Some posts from the previous thread to get us started:

I'm not so sure we should spend a 1st rounder on him when there are still some more interesting prospects to likely be on the board including some high scoring but smallish forwards and a number of safer defencemen. He could very well be available in the early 2nd and we could snag him there. I agree he would be an interesting pickup but not in the late 1st.

Trading one or both of them would be favourable I think. Enstrom will likely regress a bit over the next few years, he may be a prime trade target.

Let's look at it like this. He's a linebacker playing left defence. He's an exceptional skater. His past is very rough for a young kid: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...yer-sean-day-opens-up-about-life-off-the-ice/

Expectations on him are low. He's a talent and those lowered expectations will help him make his way. Finally he'll have the right type of motivation! He will bloom once he gets to stable ground and if he's simply a defensive defensemen we win big. Really big. Late 1st rounders are a real gamble and IMHO he will be a great bet! Believe in the day we draft Day!

But he could very well still be there by the time our 2nd rounder rolls around. I'd prefer to take a chance on one of the small forwards or a big guy like Brown or Stanley if they are there.

Safter defencemen yes, but we may already have our quota of high scoring smallish forwards.

Nic Petan is probably the smallest we have. Can never hurt to have another. Tampa has been stocking up on guys like these and it's paying off. It depends on a lot of factors like whose available and who we have already taken.

Day is the kind of kid that was given exceptional status entirely for his size. He wasn't even the highest scoring young defencemen on his team or league that year. He really hasn't done anything to deserve his rankings and there are still a number of defencemen I would take over him in the first. He is incredibly high risk/high reward. We're not really in a place yet IMO that we can spend a 1st rounder gambling on him. A 2nd I'd be okay with. A first is to much of a gamble at this point considering we really need to stockpile our prospect pool for a contending run in a few years.

I wouldn't mind that once the left side is strong enough. If he would waive his NMC I would consider trading him but I see him signing for another couple of years at a salary apprpriate for a veteran 3rd pair D. He may have other ideas of course.

Our 2nd is liable to be within 5 or 6 picks of the Chi 1st. I don't want to throw it away on a high risk pick either. And we don't have a 3rd.

Sean Day is a top 5 pick at 2017 draft in NHL 16 IIRC. Ain't that something? :laugh:

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Laine vs. Puljujarvi: who is better for us?

If the Jets finish 2nd or 3rd on the draft lottery order which of these two Finns is better for us?

Laine is more of a tougher player with an edge.

Puljuvarvi is more skilled and refined with better speed.

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
I'd be ecstatic with either, and during wjc pul looked like the better of the two, but the scouts all say laine is the one to go with so I'll just blindly follow. But yeah, they both seem like you can't go wrong with them.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the Jets finish 2nd or 3rd on the draft lottery order which of these two Finns is better for us?

Laine is more of a tougher player with an edge.

Puljuvarvi is more skilled and refined with better speed.

Laine. We lack a true goalscorer. Laine is just that. We hope Connor becomes one but it's nice to have at least two high end finishers in the system. If they both pan out then even better.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
l have a bad feeling that Vancouver and Arizona are both going to tank hard and blow past us to a better draft seeding.

I have a good feeling that the Jets scouting staff will pick well for us somewhere in the top 10 picks.

The only way that Conner does not remain our top rated prospect this summer, is if we win one of the 3 lottery draws for the draft.

Mathews

The two Finns

Tkachuk would be a good consolation pick if we do not get one of the lottery picks. With his Winnipeg/Jets/dad connection and all this Heritage stuff happening this October. (and this Tkachuk statement is not my endorsement as Tkachuk as the 4 th over all pick.) :popcorn:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Some of you guys have really been pushing for Dubois and I must admit I'm really liking this guy more and more. Maybe he even works his way into the conversation for top 3?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Some of you guys have really been pushing for Dubois and I must admit I'm really liking this guy more and more. Maybe he even works his way into the conversation for top 3?

Possibly, but I personally was thinking that if we're picking 5-8th or so and Dubois is on the board, I'd probably be very tempted to choose him. Not sure he's going to surge that far up the rankings that he ends up being a "consensus" top 3.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He already has in a number of scouts lists.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Possibly, but I personally was thinking that if we're picking 5-8th or so and Dubois is on the board, I'd probably be very tempted to choose him. Not sure he's going to surge that far up the rankings that he ends up being a "consensus" top 3.

I think he'll go top 5 on draft day.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I can see Dubois going 3 but not 2nd. I think Matthews/Laine have 1/2 wrapped up. After it is just want you value more in a prospect

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I can see Dubois going 3 but not 2nd. I think Matthews/Laine have 1/2 wrapped up. After it is just want you value more in a prospect

agreed.

Mathews and Laine are both clearly a cut above.

Pulji is likely a step up, but it's not as drastic as the other two, and PLD is more likely to pan out as a center the Pulji.

I doubt it happens, but if PLD has a huge playoff or a mem cup run i could see him causing a ruckus in that area.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
agreed.

Mathews and Laine are both clearly a cut above.

Pulji is likely a step up, but it's not as drastic as the other two, and PLD is more likely to pan out as a center the Pulji.

I doubt it happens, but if PLD has a huge playoff or a mem cup run i could see him causing a ruckus in that area.

At best we have the chance to draft him. At worst he pushes someone else down. Maybe we get Pulju or Chych as a result of him rising.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just a little speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets take a hard look at Logan Brown later in the first. We know they have a big bias towards the 2nd generation names and at 6.5 215, he's one of the biggest kids in the draft. Imagine Adam Lowry with a high playmaking ability, thats sort of how he's been billed anyway.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just a little speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets take a hard look at Logan Brown later in the first. We know they have a big bias towards the 2nd generation names and at 6.5 215, he's one of the biggest kids in the draft. Imagine Adam Lowry with a high playmaking ability, thats sort of how he's been billed anyway.

Him and Stanley are both pretty intriguing as big men that could be solid players or pure busts.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How badly will Montreal want PLD? Would they look to trade up to get him?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Logan Brown would be a great pick up in the 25 range...I actually doubt he falls that far.

He's a great big kid and his scoring is pretty damn good.

Compares very closely to Danny Heatley, Jeff Carter, Corey Perry, Anthony Mantha, and Mikhail Grigorenko in his draft year.

Would be very happy with a guy like that.

Logan Stanley on the other hand...no. Just another big dman who doesn't put up points. Don't waste a 1st-2nd round pick on a guy like that.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Where does a guy like Clayton Keller fall 2? Kid has some crazy skills, I dunno, If i'm the Jets and i'm picking 5th or later, he's a guy i'd strongly consider. Seems like a Jets type of player.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think he goes probably anywhere from 7 to 15.

I don't see anyone taking him over Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi/PLD/Chychrun/Tkachuk

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Logan Brown would be a great pick up in the 25 range...I actually doubt he falls that far.

He's a great big kid and his scoring is pretty damn good.

Compares very closely to Danny Heatley, Jeff Carter, Corey Perry, Anthony Mantha, and Mikhail Grigorenko in his draft year.

Would be very happy with a guy like that.

Logan Stanley on the other hand...no. Just another big dman who doesn't put up points. Don't waste a 1st-2nd round pick on a guy like that.

I'm calling now that Brown goes top 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad