Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Yeah I understand what you're saying but we're picking 25th, not in the teens. Keller is much better than Fabbri or Bracco were in their draft years.

Think of tiny skilled guys like Marner, Willy Nylander, Fiala... Keller is in that tier.

There's bound to be a faller or two this year. I think we're gonna have the opportunity to nab someone we don't think should still be on the board at 25...maybe not Keller, but someone.

I'm really optimistic that we're gonna have an exciting draft year. I've just started looking at the top 30 and almost everyone I've look at so far looks really good in comparison to what is usually out there in the mid-to-late 1st where there is typically a lot of "meh". I think going to be deep well into the 2nd Round.

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high because...Dallas haha.

If you had to bet on how Dallas makes you mad this year at the draft in the 1st Round, is it?

a) Reach Pick
b) Trade Down
c) Goalie Pick
d) Pass up on THE faller
e) Some combination of the above

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It seems like where we are picking has often been "small player who scores a ton" and "big player you hope develops more offense" territory. Maybe that will change as speed and skill and youth continue to drive success. I'll be fine when we draft the best goalie this year but I don't think we are in position to make anybody mad because of how late our pick is.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Lack of size makes GMs lose their minds. We see it almost every year. Especially in a draft deep with BIG skilled forwards that might seem safer. Max Jones, Julien Gauthier, Logan Brown, McLeod, Rubstov, Asplund, Bellows, etc...

This isn't my feelings...this is just what happens. Little super-skilled guys often fall....and the draft looks SUPER DEEP.

If we know he won't fall to us...just hypothetically...Nichushkin plus the 25th to move up from 25th to 15th if he slips a bit from the 9th/10th projection.

Kid looks like a stud.

...basically what I'm saying is that there is a good chance a player like him or Jost will be there for us to skip, and take a goalie to add to our never ending list of failed tender prospects in a few years haha.

I can hear it now..."The Stars are pleased to select, with the 25th pick of the draft, from Iceland....Tjarn Svensen-Vergessenberg". WHO?! WHAT?!

I can live with small forwards. Small defensemen? Not so much.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
There's bound to be a faller or two this year. I think we're gonna have the opportunity to nab someone we don't think should still be on the board at 25...maybe not Keller, but someone.

I'm really optimistic that we're gonna have an exciting draft year. I've just started looking at the top 30 and almost everyone I've look at so far looks really good in comparison to what is usually out there in the mid-to-late 1st where there is typically a lot of "meh". I think going to be deep well into the 2nd Round.

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high because...Dallas haha.

If you had to bet on how Dallas makes you mad this year at the draft in the 1st Round, is it?

a) Reach Pick
b) Trade Down
c) Goalie Pick
d) Pass up on THE faller
e) Some combination of the above

Nill drafted a bunch of forwards one year then a bunch of defensemen the next. Maybe this year he'll draft six goalies? :sarcasm:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I can live with small forwards. Small defensemen? Not so much.

Agreed. I'm talking about forwards here when I'm talking about a small guy dropping.

There is much less risk and much more upside typically with a smaller forward vs. a smaller Defenseman.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Nill drafted a bunch of forwards one year then a bunch of defensemen the next. Maybe this year he'll draft six goalies? :sarcasm:

What is Takko even doing over in Europe and where is our Saros?;)

The Finnish scout and former goalie should be able to pull through sooner or later.

Ok. I guess Esa counts for something but he should be mining more than Kiviaho.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What is Takko even doing over in Europe and where is our Saros?;)

The Finnish scout and former goalie should be able to pull through sooner or later.

Ok. I guess Esa counts for something but he should be mining more than Kiviaho.

Takko isn't the Finnish scout. He's the European Director of Scouting. I get the goalie part is in jest, but just making sure you realize Esa might not even be his best recent pick.

Every time you cheer for John Klingberg, you can thank Takko. It's quite popular for NBC to claim Janmark was a Nill pick in Detroit, but that's not true. He was taken after Nill left the Wings. Takko would have been in on helping to target Mattias via trade.

Dallas' European scouting has been more than adequate. They've had more successes than probably average, and Takko is a huge part of that. Until recently his department consisted of him and one other guy. I think he has 4 scouts under him now.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Takko isn't the Finnish scout. He's the European Director of Scouting. I get the goalie part is in jest, but just making sure you realize Esa might not even be his best recent pick.

Every time you cheer for John Klingberg, you can thank Takko. It's quite popular for NBC to claim Janmark was a Nill pick in Detroit, but that's not true. He was taken after Nill left the Wings. Takko would have been in on helping to target Mattias via trade.

Dallas' European scouting has been more than adequate. They've had more successes than probably average, and Takko is a huge part of that. Until recently his department consisted of him and one other guy. I think he has 4 scouts under him now.

Who do you like at 25?

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Think you guys will like who I nabbed in the Mod Mock... maybe not Satan though :laugh:

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I can't find the thread. Can you provide a link, please?

We aren't finished yet, it'll be up in a few days. I'll link it here once its finished.

Figured I'd give you guys a tease, though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Has anyone here watched Dante Fabbro play that could give me some feedback on his play defensively?

All I've seen is highlights, so all I can tell is that he's got a wicked point shot and skates fairly well.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We've got Hansson, Honka, and Prapavessiss already so I'd much rather take a forward with our first.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Say we take the best goalie on our scouts list with either 25th or make a trade down to get . Would you happy unhappy about it ?

Say for example we pick Filip Gustavsson . ( if you google search that name by the way you allways get wierd pictures of a male model with that same name ) .

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Say we take the best goalie on our scouts list with either 25th or make a trade down to get . Would you happy unhappy about it ?

Say for example we pick Filip Gustavsson . ( if you google search that name by the way you allways get wierd pictures of a male model with that same name ) .

If we had traded back and drafted Samsonov, who would be angry about that now? We've got a pick right where the top goalie is usually taken, if we think there's a starter somewhere in the draft lets get the best guy with that pick. Tampa, Boston, and Washington have good goalies but also top prospects they used high picks on, guys we could have drafted before they did.

We shouldn't be afraid of busting because of Campbell partly because of all the safer picks we've made since.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not even counting the NHL situation i don't think there's an organisation more in need of quality young goalie prospects.

We have Desrosrier and thats it . Everyone else is an extreme longshot to still amount to anything or has already failed and probably will be let go. Just an absolute desaster and with the depth we have pretty more everywhere else i would think it would be a good idea to invest more heavily this draft into goalies than you usually would to pretty much guarantee you find SOMEONE good going forward. We don't have any high picks in any round this year anyway.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Has anyone here watched Dante Fabbro play that could give me some feedback on his play defensively?

All I've seen is highlights, so all I can tell is that he's got a wicked point shot and skates fairly well.

I watched him in the U-18s, he looked really smart positioning wise. Doesn't shy away from puck battles. He played with Chychrun and he was poised moving the puck up ice. He's not tall but he looks to have a thick build.

If he's available at 25 I would throw a party and invite everyone on HFStars to it. Hopefully Abilify would supply the Blue Star.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I watched him in the U-18s, he looked really smart positioning wise. Doesn't shy away from puck battles. He played with Chychrun and he was poised moving the puck up ice. He's not tall but he looks to have a thick build.

If he's available at 25 I would throw a party and invite everyone on HFStars to it. Hopefully Abilify would supply the Blue Star.

Who do you like between Chychrun and Fabbro?

I watched a shift-by-shift of Chychrun and wasn't overly impressed...particularly with his play in his own zone. Good, but not great.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I haven't really seen Fabbro enough to make a comment on it.

Chychrun is such a fluid skater, I find it hard to believe he won't become an unreal #1 or #2 defenseman. He really compares favourably to Aaron Ekblad. Whenever I'd watch him, he seemed to know how to suffocate opposing players.

Out of the guys I've seen enough from to comment on (think Juolevi, Bean, Sergachev), he's the primo defenseman in the draft right now.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I haven't really seen Fabbro enough to make a comment on it.

Chychrun is such a fluid skater, I find it hard to believe he won't become an unreal #1 or #2 defenseman. He really compares favourably to Aaron Ekblad. Whenever I'd watch him, he seemed to know how to suffocate opposing players.

Out of the guys I've seen enough from to comment on (think Juolevi, Bean, Sergachev), he's the primo defenseman in the draft right now.

Maybe I just caught Chychrun on a bad night defensively because I didn't see him stifling the offense with any kind of consistency. He did skate very well...though he is no Honka :) ...and he looks very strong physically at the Junior level.

Between McAvoy, Bean, Sergachev, and Juolevi, and any other D that you have watched who projected to go in the first 40 picks, who do you think is the best at putting up the defensive wall?...breaking up plays, blocking shots, winning defensive zone puck battles, and not turning over the puck with high risk passes?

Chychrun aside...

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Maybe I just caught Chychrun on a bad night defensively because I didn't see him stifling the offense with any kind of consistency. He did skate very well...though he is no Honka :) ...and he looks very strong physically at the Junior level.

Between McAvoy, Bean, Sergachev, and Juolevi, and any other D that you have watched who projected to go in the first 40 picks, who do you think is the best at putting up the defensive wall?...breaking up plays, blocking shots, winning defensive zone puck battles, and not turning over the puck with high risk passes?

Chychrun aside...

Those traits you list? Chychrun. Sergachev and Juolevi are, in my opinion, more offensive minded than defense. Chychrun gives you the best balance. I can't really give any personal anecdotes for Charlie McAvoy considering I watched the majority of World Junior games from a pool in Florida.... From what I gather though, he may be the closest of them all to what you want. Jake Bean is the furthest.

My rankings would look like this:

1) Jakob Chychrun
2) Mikhail Sergachev
3) Olli Juolevi
4) Dante Fabbro
5) Jake Bean

I can look into McAvoy more later, from everything I know he's in that top tier around Chychrun, Sergachev and Juolevi.

Lots of #talent in the top 15 this year :'(

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Those traits you list? Chychrun. Sergachev and Juolevi are, in my opinion, more offensive minded than defense. Chychrun gives you the best balance. I can't really give any personal anecdotes for Charlie McAvoy considering I watched the majority of World Junior games from a pool in Florida.... From what I gather though, he may be the closest of them all to what you want. Jake Bean is the furthest.

My rankings would look like this:

1) Jakob Chychrun
2) Mikhail Sergachev
3) Olli Juolevi
4) Dante Fabbro
5) Jake Bean

I can look into McAvoy more later, from everything I know he's in that top tier around Chychrun, Sergachev and Juolevi.

Lots of #talent in the top 15 this year :'(

Appreciate your take on the Defensemen.

The top 15 look pretty darn good this year, and if it's any consolation, I'd be shocked if at least 1 or 2 of the consensus top 15 aren't available at 25.

Maybe we can trade the rights to Goose before he becomes a FA and move up a couple spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad