2016 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
What if we used Rangers 1st on DeBrincat? Outrage?
It would feel pretty weird to add a RH shot to the pool. Obvious answer (all I can do) to the question you're not really asking is that if they liked him that much more than the alternatives for the pick, then great. After last year's draft the balance of our pool of forwards is pretty good now, isn't it? so whatever's added to it should open up some good future trade options.

We should totally do it so long as we land Tkachuk with our own pick, not only for the bloodlines but for the added fun of a blindfolded training camp game involving pairings of Domi/Duclair, Strome/DeBrincat and Tkachuk/Fischer.

But yeah I'm intrigued to see where DeBrincat & Samuel Girard end up being taken. That nhl.com sorting tool that was linked on the prospects board the other day was pretty cool to look through.

Looking at Button's latest ranking, there will be some interesting first round D options if Chychrun ends up out of reach. The team should get a good look at Sergachyov this year while tracking Fischer.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
What if we used Rangers 1st on DeBrincat? Outrage?

Not for me. If DeBrincat was 6 foot he'd be a consensus top 5 pick imo. His predraft year was super special.

The one concern with getting him is that we do kinda have a similar player in Garland.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If we're a bottom 5 team this year then the entire league is vastly improved. My guess is that we're just above the .500 mark this year, based upon the skill of Domi and Duclair.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The one concern with getting him is that we do kinda have a similar player in Garland.

I've been openly wondering about the merits of running Arcobello/Garland/DeBrincat types in the bottom six rather than your typical meatheads. As the physical side of the game winds down, it becomes more about skill and playing with touch. As long as those players are responsible defensively, I think it could be the next innovation, especially when expansion waters down the average size of the league a bit.

I really like having junior teammates in the system, so I'd say it'd be justified on that point alone if DeBrincat keeps it up. He may not even be there in the 20s. Same thing with Raddysh. I want them both.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Nic Petan can be a fourth liner then Alex De Brincat can be one too.

I'm all for BPA in the upcoming draft. If there's no big fallers though then I'd be in favour of a LD and RD with Rangers 1st and our 2nd. I'll hope for a foward with our 1st.

CoyotesFan18

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Let's say our pick is a 7,8, or 9 pick (or possibly lower), the Rangers pick is a mid 20's pick, and we trade bodes for another mid 20's pick. Would all 3 of those picks be enough to get Matthews?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Let's say our pick is a 7,8, or 9 pick (or possibly lower), the Rangers pick is a mid 20's pick, and we trade bodes for another mid 20's pick. Would all 3 of those picks be enough to get Matthews?

I don't think so. Not even if it's the best of those, no. I don't believe that 7, 21, and 22 would be enough for one.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Not a chance. The top 3-5 picks will be in a class of their own.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I've been openly wondering about the merits of running Arcobello/Garland/DeBrincat types in the bottom six rather than your typical meatheads. As the physical side of the game winds down, it becomes more about skill and playing with touch. As long as those players are responsible defensively, I think it could be the next innovation, especially when expansion waters down the average size of the league a bit.

I really like having junior teammates in the system, so I'd say it'd be justified on that point alone if DeBrincat keeps it up. He may not even be there in the 20s. Same thing with Raddysh. I want them both.

That would be an interesting experiment. I would try it. Good idea.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hockey wunderkind Auston Matthews’ mother is from Mexico. His father was born in California. The Matthews family lives in Arizona. He’s playing in Switzerland. That’s not the geographic background you would expect for a player projected to be the No. 1 pick in June’s NHL draft.

It was Matthews’ late uncle, Bill, who launched his hockey career by taking him to then-Phoenix Coyotes games before he started kindergarten.

“He would take me and my dad, and we would go watch (Danny) Briere and (Shane) Doan and all of those guys back in the day,†Matthews, 18, told USA TODAY Sports. “That’s how I got into it. I started playing when I was 5 or 6.â€

The Matthews story is evidence the NHL’s foray into non-traditional markets is having an impact on the game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...witzerland-first-overall-draft-pick/74291908/

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
If Matthews aint come our way in the lottery, he should be the definate blockbuster trade aim, if we ever gonna have a blockbuster trade. :yashin:

Otherways my fave is Matt Tkachuk.

J. Puljujärvi
A. Nylander
D. Fabbro

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
With Stone and Murphy, I'd argue we need LHS D every bit as much as RHD.

There are two types of players I'd be happy to completely skip in this draft: left shooting wingers and goalies. Don't want any of either.

Right shooting wingers are fine. Centers and D of either handedness are also welcome.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

There are two types of players I'd be happy to completely skip in this draft: left shooting wingers and goalies. Don't want any of either.

Right shooting wingers are fine. Centers and D of either handedness are also welcome.

I agree. I wasn't too keen on the Z signing, but it was a good signing.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I'm pretty much with you here, though I think I'd only take a RD is if he's the BPA at the pick or is looking like a potential top pairing guy.

When we took both Stone and Murphy, I didn't get the impression that they were going to be #1/2 D. They seemed more like middle pairing guys but they were also pretty safe picks in their draft years.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
My emphasis on RHD isn't really about need but more about resource scarcity. Half of all NHL D jobs are best filled by RHD. Much less than half of draft eligible D are RHD. All else being equal RHD prospects are more valuable than LHD prospects. I was hoping for Nicolas Meloche and Ethan Bear in the 15 draft. I'm now hoping for Charlie McAvoy in the 16 draft.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
McDavid is out. We're screwed as Deadmonton secures Mathews. The NHL is going to keep giving them #1 picks until the make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad