2016 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Team need.

We needed a #1 C. We fell a bit short of the ultimate goal but at least satisfied the need in the long term.

This year we need to earn respect. More fans and some playoff dollars. The team will fall short of that goal but the tank is not coming back.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Oh jeeze even dead last has over 50% (55%) chance of not picking until 4, that seems a bit broken.

We won't need to tank on purpose to be that bad. We'll just... be.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Team need doesn't make them play better on the ice. It doesn't improve the roster.

What I'm saying is that the goal last season was to lose. We lost a lot. Not as much as hoped, but much more than the year before. This season the goal is to win. We will win more than last season. There are things that the goal-setters can do to effect that change. Not trading away top veterans is one example.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What I'm saying is that the goal last season was to lose. We lost a lot. Not as much as hoped, but much more than the year before. This season the goal is to win. We will win more than last season. There are things that the goal-setters can do to effect that change. Not trading away top veterans is one example.

I think the goal last year was to win. That's the depressing part. I don't know where you're finding your optimism. What precisely have you seen from the team in the last 144 regular season games that leads you to believe we're turning things around?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm not being THAT optimistic. I just think it's unrealistic to expect a worse season than last year. Last year we NEEDED to add a #1C. There were two McEichels and only one lottery to lose. Tanking made a lot of sense. It was the right decision and the teM pursued it admirably.

This season we don't NEED to add any one thing. Matthews would be nice but we have Strome. Chychrun would be nice but we have OEL. Even if we tried tanking for one of them there's three lotteries to lose, rather than just one. The goal has to be instilling a winning culture and building the fan base. No tank. More wins than last season. Realistic, not optimistic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think you're trying to transpose your personal desires onto the team, and it just doesn't work. This isn't a better, more motivated roster. The sad part about last year was that they were desperately trying to win until the deadline. There was no tank involved. And the sad part about this year is that ownership saw the gutless play of the last few years and said "yeah, we need some more of that."

It's insulting, and nobody should fall for it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm not being THAT optimistic. I just think it's unrealistic to expect a worse season than last year. Last year we NEEDED to add a #1C. There were two McEichels and only one lottery to lose. Tanking made a lot of sense. It was the right decision and the teM pursued it admirably.

This season we don't NEED to add any one thing. Matthews would be nice but we have Strome. Chychrun would be nice but we have OEL. Even if we tried tanking for one of them there's three lotteries to lose, rather than just one. The goal has to be instilling a winning culture and building the fan base. No tank. More wins than last season. Realistic, not optimistic.

I'm mostly in agreement. We are not a playoff team. This season is about being competitive and bringing along the first wave of kids. Entertainment level will improve and I expect by end of season the frequency of goals and wins will improve.

I know Mathews is the home run potential franchise saving selection. I just don't think we should have blinders up on a player as fantastic as Chychrun. He's shake your head good.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm mostly in agreement. We are not a playoff team. This season is about being competitive and bringing along the first wave of kids. Entertainment level will improve and I expect by end of season the frequency of goals and wins will improve.

I know Mathews is the home run potential franchise saving selection. I just don't think we should have blinders up on a player as fantastic as Chychrun. He's shake your head good.

But that shoulder...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Correct. Year one of the rebuild. Better hang on to your hat, it will be bumpy.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
But that shoulder...

I understand the concern but we have a full season to see how it holds up or if it harms his development.

Chychrun is going to be IMO a #1 D in the NHL.

Last edited:

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Matthew Tkachuk looks pretty legit

Screen-Shot-2015-07-01-at-10.39.12-AM.png

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Awesome, we use the same secret recipe.

Did you watch the whole video? Most bizarre thing I've ever seen lol. The weird ass music playing super loudly the entire time, the images, and random funny awkward comments are great.

rt

May 13, 2004
Did you watch the whole video? Most bizarre thing I've ever seen lol. The weird ass music playing super loudly the entire time, the images, and random funny awkward comments are great.

I'm sure this was a school project. He made it weird to be funny but he probably had to make it for some course or another.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I want Mathews just as bad as anyone else does. The though of him and Strome on the first two lines makes me drool.

But knowing what the odds are, I think we would still be okay if we didn't win the lottery.

Either one of the Finnish wingers could provide electric scoring
Tkachuk could be the big bodied bruiser/scorer you need to compete in the West.
And Chychrun could partner with OEL and would make the back end stable for the next decade.

There are a lot of options top 4. Time to play the waiting game now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
http://www.sihf.ch/de/game-center/game/#/20161105071072

Yellow helmet

He's now the leading scorer for his club, despite missing 3 games. 10 points in 9 games. League leader right now is PM Bouchard with 18 in 12.

The promise of Strome has me weirdly okay with missing out on Matthews. Any of the top 5 or so would be a great addition.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Isn't Chychrun a leftie? Or can he play the off side? Otherwise we'd run into the same issue we did with a potential OEL/Hanifin pairing.

rt

May 13, 2004
Isn't Chychrun a leftie? Or can he play the off side? Otherwise we'd run into the same issue we did with a potential OEL/Hanifin pairing.

He shoots left, but he can play the right side. We'd be good either way. If we have a 2nd LH option than we have two super pairings. If we have a RH, then we have one mega pair. Either makes me happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad