Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
While it would be fun to see Shero swing for the fences for somebody like RNH, I just don't think we're at the point to make that kind of move yet. I think it would be smarter to do the same thing this summer as last, and then maybe at the trade deadline or summer of 2017 we add a bigger piece. By then we'll have a better idea of what kids like Severson, Merrill, and Boucher are. Plus guys like Quenneville, Blandisi, Wood, Coleman, Pietila, etc. are hopefully competing for bottom six spots. So we go into 2017-18 with an improved top six (Zacha + another Palmieri type acquisition + possibly whoever we draft at #11 + maybe another addition via trade) and a bottom six with some young, hungry forwards in it and I see no reason why we can't be competing for a playoff position.

I've kind of veered off the draft here though, so I'll stop my rambling there.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I would certainly move up for Nylander or Dubois...

I feel like Nylander has been greatly overshadowed all year. He's a right handed shot, that can play either wing. While we could use a center, Keller is too risky to bank on.

Nylander this year led the Steelheads offensively across the board, by a large margin. He was on one Swedish silver medalist team, and led both the U18s and U20s in points. Finished 5th and 6th in overall tournament points, respectively, with minimal help, as opposed to the Finns, Matthews and Tkachuk, Keller and Brown, etc.

Also 12 points (6G 6A) in 6 games in the OHL playoffs.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

I feel like Nylander has been greatly overshadowed all year. He's a right handed shot, that can play either wing. While we could use a center, Keller is too risky to bank on.

Nylander this year led the Steelheads offensively across the board, by a large margin. He was on one Swedish silver medalist team, and led both the U18s and U20s in points. Finished 5th and 6th in overall tournament points, respectively, with minimal help, as opposed to the Finns, Matthews and Tkachuk, Keller and Brown, etc.

I think this assessment is spot on. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I can't see how some people put Nylander, Keller, and Jost in the same category after considering both everything he's accomplished this year and the fact that he doesn't come with the same questions/potential risks of the other two. His RH/RW profile is gravy as it's an area of tremendous need and makes him a great fit. If Shero could trade up and grab him I'd be thrilled, I just don't think they're looking in his direction.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

Had Keller/Jost spent their draft year on the OHL/WHL, they would be a sure fire top 7 right now. Just like Kyle Connor last year. There's no much difference between them (Nylander, Keller, Jost). IMO

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Nylander dropping to us would be a windfall. Maybe that will be the steal of the draft.

If there are no trades, I could see him slipping to #10, then it's up to Colorado.

EDM - Chychrun
VAN - PLD
CGY - Tkachuk
ARZ - Juolevi
BUF - Sergachyov
MTL - Brown
COL - ????

They're in need of defense but might not be enamored with who's left. I could see Calgary taking him over Tkachuk.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
If there are no trades, I could see him slipping to #10, then it's up to Colorado.

EDM - Chychrun
VAN - PLD
CGY - Tkachuk
ARZ - Juolevi
BUF - Sergachyov
MTL - Brown
COL - ????

They're in need of defense but might not be enamored with who's left. I could see Calgary taking him over Tkachuk.

I could see it playing out like this, and I could see COL just taking Nylander because hes there. if they really want D, I might pay a VERY small piece just to swap with them and secure Nylander

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I could see it playing out like this, and I could see COL just taking Nylander because hes there. if they really want D, I might pay a VERY small piece just to swap with them and secure Nylander

If that very small piece is a 3rd, then sure

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Calgary could be a landing spot for one of the top D's available. Kylington is their best defensive prospect but they could use some depth.

They definitely could but after spending time on their boards I get the sense they feel forward is a bigger immediate need.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I was thinking less, but I could live with that, otherwise COL just takes Nylander as BPA and we pick a tier down.

Nylander will not get by Montreal.

Tor - Matthews
Wpg - Laine
Cbj - Puljujarvi
Edm - Chrychrun
Van - Tkachuk
Cgy - Dubois
Ari - Juolevi/Nylander
Buf - Juolevi/Sergachev
Mtl - Nylander/Keller/Sergachev

I just don't see any possible scenario where Nylander slides past the Ari/Buf/Mtl zone.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Tor - Matthews
Wpg - Laine
Cbj - Puljujarvi
Edm - Chrychrun
Van - Tkachuk
Cgy - Dubois
Ari - Juolevi/Nylander
Buf - Juolevi/Sergachev

I just don't see any possible scenario where Nylander slides past the Ari/Buf/Mtl zone.

Brown, and other wild cards. One thing Ive learned is 1 team always seems to go off the board in the bottom half of the top 10. All it takes is someone to like Keller or Jost or Brown more then Nylander or Juolevi or Sergachev and the whole game changes.

I do believe the top 6 are locks (Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Chrychrun, and Dubois) after that i think all the players there are interchangeable.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Tor - Matthews
Wpg - Laine
Cbj - Puljujarvi
Edm - Chrychrun
Van - Tkachuk
Cgy - Dubois
Ari - Juolevi/Nylander
Buf - Juolevi/Sergachev

The scenario where Montreal has been projected to take Brown in multiple mocks because they want a center with size and like him. If they decide Nylander is BPA and go that route, sure, but it's very possible Brown is the player they have their sights on and take him when he's available.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It's kind of a quality/quantity argument. Trading up likely increases the quality of the pick, but if that player busts, it's a waste. If you trade down you might get more chances with more picks, but the quality of those picks probably won't be as high.

Personally, I would just stay at #11, go BPA, and then maybe try to do something with #41 + our 3rd rounders. Either try trading up into the late 1st/early 2nd, or try to get some more immediate help up front.

I thought this was a pretty good story and on target with the discussion here:
http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/5/1/is-it-worth-it-to-trade-up-in-the-nhl-draft

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Tor - Matthews
Wpg - Laine
Cbj - Puljujarvi
Edm - Chrychrun
Van - Tkachuk
Cgy - Dubois
Ari - Juolevi/Nylander
Buf - Juolevi/Sergachev

I thought this was a pretty good story and on target with the discussion here:
http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/5/1/is-it-worth-it-to-trade-up-in-the-nhl-draft

Once the team has finished most of the rebuild, consistently makes the playoffs, and is picking in the 20's, I'd have no problem with them trying to acquire multiple 2nd rd picks by trading down.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
The way people talk on the Prospects Board you'd think Jost, Keller, and Brown are going 4, 5, and 6.

Strange things have happened before but I doubt it. If it did happen (I've seen Brown linked to Vancouver) I'd expect a few trades to happen as well.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
The way people talk on the Prospects Board you'd think Jost, Keller, and Brown are going 4, 5, and 6.

yeah we are not getting top 4 but at 11 we are in for a good pick. It just depends what Col and Mont want ahead of us

Brown is trending to top 5 currently and was in late teens at a min about a month ago or so

I think Shero has a card up his sleeve to play, just not sure what it is. To date he has done well so far, cant see that changing this year. I think its an important draft, we have to hit the ball hard like we did last yr (was somewhat easy with PZ) but this pick IMO helps our foundation of good forwards (if they end up taking one-talk of a d man lately)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Calgary could be a landing spot for one of the top D's available. Kylington is their best defensive prospect but they could use some depth.

Calgary probably has the luxury of going BPA. Nylander would fit their most immediate need at RW. Dubois/Tkachuk would fit in nicely on LW if/when Bennett shifts to center.

If Dallas wins this round, the pick that Calgary got for Kris Russell gets upgraded to a 1st rounder as well. Calgary has some extra picks to target depth later. If Brian Burke has any say, Calgary will go BPA and sort it out later. When Burke was GM in Anaheim, they took Bobby Ryan over Jack Johnson at a point when it seemed they really needed a cornerstone D.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
maybe a 2nd and some okay prospect? thats what i'd think

OR. they want defense so bad, just throw in jon merrill and a 2nd/3rd

RNH is still a good player and Edmonton isn't looking to give him away for an unproven D and picks. That package might land Yakupov, but RNH still has value around the league. He'd still be a 1st/2nd line center for a lot of teams.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
RNH is still a good player and Edmonton isn't looking to give him away for an unproven D and picks. That package might land Yakupov, but RNH still has value around the league. He'd still be a 1st/2nd line center for a lot of teams.

this would be in addition to the 1st rd pick we'd be giving to them though. i mean there's been talk of severson for RNH straight up, but obvy we wouldn't do that.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I might be in the minority but I have little to no interest in RNH. Sure, he's a former overall #1 and can be considered a top6 center. But, the dude is soft and I don't see him fitting in here. Chiarelli could keep Draisaitl at LW and Nuge as the C but RNH is likely on the block...and for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad