Previous thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1950491&page=41

-------------------------

giphy.gif

29 days 'til the lottery.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Link about Keller dropping: www.draftutopia.com/2016nhlmockdraft.html

Can't tell you how knowledgeable the writer is or isn't, however, here is the source. Check draft slot #12.

http://stats.ushl.com/ushl/ushl/en/stats/gamebygame.php?id=255

I guess I'm a little confused by his comment. Keller has 37 points in 23 official USHL games. Keller hasn't lit up March (5 points in 7 games), but I don't know if I'd classify that as "continuing to struggle."

Doesn't look like the most credible of web sites. Just a sports draft fanatic (not that there's anything wrong with that). Here's his Twitter description:

Creator of Draft Utopia. You can check out my other Twitter feed @DraftUtopia for sports content. Also work at Panera Bread.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Want absolutely no part of Gauthier. Guy that can dominate on his size at that age/skill, playing on a stacked offensive team where he's 5th in points, and has an insane goal:assist ratio....nope.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We have 1, 1 RW prospect in the pipeline

So as I said if you cant get the top 2 D you go after BPA @ #10-11, I would take Gauthier 6'3" 220 RW, before any of the D men available at that time. Hell I would take Rubstov maybe even Bellow before taking D in mid round.

It just seems like scouts are souring on Gauthier of late. I wish I could credit whoever said it, but you can't draft based on having a symmetrical prospect pool. Our RW prospect depth is weak, but things could change by the time Gauthier is challenging for a roster spot.

It's still early, but Craig Button has five RWs listed in his top 17 for 2017: http://www.tsn.ca/get-to-know-them-patrick-liljegren-in-2017-1.389307

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
What makes his totals more impressive is that he played the entire season with a bum shoulder that was continually dislocated. The Wolves trainers were forever popping it back in place until Sokolov learned how to push it up on the boards and do it himself.

"It happened last year in the playoffs and I didn't have time to fix it," said Sokolov, who will have surgery to repair the shoulder April 13 in Toronto.. "It would come out for a few seconds and I would get it put back in on the bench and I'd go back out.

"With a good shoulder, I might not hit the post and crossbar as much," he added with a smile and a shake of his head.

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2016/03/28/sudbury-wolves-sokolov-eager-for-next-season

Very interesting read and a possible explanation as to why Dmitry Sokolov fell off the top of the draft rankings (besides playing in Sudbury)

Apparently the Tampa scout is pretty impressed with him too

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Teams are going to have to do a bunch of background work on Sokolov. One of those guys who could go anywhere from late 2nd round to 5th and I wouldn't be surprised.

His conditioning level has come up in other articles I've read:

"That's incredible with a bad shoulder, and for the most part he was well overweight," Matsos said. "He showed up at 222 pounds and not a lot of muscle on his body, but we got him down to 208 and that is last two months of the season and his pace was better and he accomplished a lot in tough circumstances and my hat is off to him and all the work he put in to do that and for how skilled he is.

Tampa's got a pair of 2nd rounders, so maybe they'd be more willing to take a home run swing that early.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
McLeod just scored a nice backhanded goal. He does everything so well except for scoring. One of the fastest skaters in the OHL too. I know some of us are down on him for his scoring, but I think he'll be available for us by the time we pick.

Laine would be a God-send for this franchise though

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Gauthier could really fill an organizational need...a big power-forward, goal scoring RW who could potentially step into the NHL next season.

He's definitely fallen off lately and I don't know how I'd feel if we actually took him. I want him to spend one more season in the Q to spend consistent top-line minutes. But yes, I'd prefer a playmaking center at this point.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
outside of the top 3 I like Nylander, Rubstov, keller and jost

I've only just started to read-up on the prospects touted to go where we'll be drafting, and I agree with this. Those are the 4 guys I'd be looking to draft in that slot, the order of them can be argued a bit but I do like Keller a lot.

But all of this is moot anyway once we use our 3% odds to win the lottery we'll just take Matthews :P

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
McLeod just scored a nice backhanded goal. He does everything so well except for scoring. One of the fastest skaters in the OHL too. I know some of us are down on him for his scoring, but I think he'll be available for us by the time we pick.

Laine would be a God-send for this franchise though

Do you think McLeod is better than Logan Brown?

Looking forward to watching Brown and Keller playing together for Team USA at U18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad