2016 NHL Draft - The Shark Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
IF we were to somehow get a top 3 pick, I would hope that the FO would be able to determine whether or not those players are truly "Bruins style" players. I don't want them to draft a kid and then after 3 years, trade him for $.50 on the dollar and then launch a smear campaign against them. If none of them truly are our type of players, I'd rather them trade the top 3 pick for a star player.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
IF we were to somehow get a top 3 pick, I would hope that the FO would be able to determine whether or not those players are truly "Bruins style" players. I don't want them to draft a kid and then after 3 years, trade him for $.50 on the dollar and then launch a smear campaign against them. If none of them truly are our type of players, I'd rather them trade the top 3 pick for a star player.

Puljujarvi should/would be a great fit, his attitude is his best asset, he is known for his workout mentality and is modest/humble, he also doesn't just play offense, he skates to both ends and backchecks well.

He pretty much has everything you want from a player and from your winger.
Elite potential with great skating&size+ great attitude.
I love watching him fly through 3 players and no one can touch him.

Matthews is also 9/17/1997 when Pulju is 5/7/1998.

Last edited:

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
That's still good news for Boston, as the San José pick becomes a lottery one. In 2016, there will be a separate draw for picks 1 to 3.

Poached from talkinaway's post in the NHL 2016 draft lottery thread:

There are 14 balls, and 4 are chosen - just like your state's Megabucks lottery. That means there are 1001 combinations of four balls. One combination is a dead combination - probably 11-12-13-14. If that gets drawn, they draw again. Of the remaining 1000 combinations, a certain number of combos gets assigned to a team based on the percentage list - for example, if first place is supposed to be 20% to retain the pick, then they get 200 combos. (I haven't memorized the probabilities.)

That's how it worked last year: one draw, one team moved up to first place. This year, it's (at least) three draws. After the first valid draw, that team's picks all join 11-12-13-14 as "dead combos", they put the 14 balls back in the machine, and draw a new set of 4. If it's a dead combo, put the balls back in and draw another 4 from 14. If not, then that team's your second place winner. Do the same for third place.

Thus, any team can win the 1st through 3rd pick, and any team in the top 11 of the standings can be bumped back by three slots (11th can be moved to 14th if 12th, 13th, and 14th win).

Yea, I understand that and I hope that it happens but I was more talking about us fans cheering the Sharks to finish the season as one of the worst teams in the league. I doubt it will be anything like it was when we wanted Toronto to tank.

Zac Rinaldo*

Have not been overly impressed with Nylander from what I have seen. But I'll let those that have seen him more regularly comment on him. He wouldn't be my choice and I doubt he fits in with Sweeney's plan.

As for Day, I'm in the midst of doing a not so flattering profile on him. He came with high expectations and should have, being given exceptional status. But IMO, hasn't lived up to the potential.

Day has all the tools, elite skating, NHL size, shot, can play physical, just not so sure the hockey sense is there. Just has not been able to put the package all together and I'm hesitant to think he can.

Can he put it all together? Possibly. Will just have to let the season play out and see where it takes him. I just don't see him as a first round pick as of today.

I am often left wondering if Day would have been further along if he didn't go after the exceptional status. Chychrun decided it would be in his best interest not to and to further develop before heading to the OHL. And from what I am told from a person or two in Hockey Canada, no doubt Chychrun would have been granted the status. I think Day should have taken the same route.

Good article from my friend John Matisz http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/02/19/super-rookie-chychrun-following-ekblads-footsteps

And an excellent read on Day prior to his OHL draft by good guy Neate Sager. https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...t-hockey-canada-hype-unfair-15-154543445.html This is one you should definitely read

wow is he big for his age, though. seems like the mental part of his game needs a lot of work. i watched some video too and he seems to scramble a lot even at the pace of play in the ohl. kinda excited to see how scathing your article is haha. from the looks of it he's ranked much too highly atm.

cause of his size and shot i was thinking he might be on management's radar. hoping not after reading all of this

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Lets be careful what we wish for , imagine Sharks finish with the second pick but we fall because of the lottery. This could work both ways.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
2016 draft looks to be loaded with good players.
Dante Fabbro
Kieffer Bellows
Charles McAvoy
Julien Gauthier

And many more
Not so sure Bruins are trading up

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
wow is he big for his age, though. seems like the mental part of his game needs a lot of work. i watched some video too and he seems to scramble a lot even at the pace of play in the ohl. kinda excited to see how scathing your article is haha. from the looks of it he's ranked much too highly atm.

cause of his size and shot i was thinking he might be on management's radar. hoping not after reading all of this

I think the comparison's between Ekblad and Chychrun will go on for years. Day was in the conversation because of the path he took, but I don't think we see that comp any more.

Here's how I see it:

Aaron Ekblad: Drafted first overall in 2014
Jakob Chychrun: Available 2016 NHL Draft
Sean Day: Available 2016 NHL Draft

Aaron Ekblad: Granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada
Jakob Chychrun: Turned down the opportunity for exceptional status
Sean Day: Granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada.

Aaron Ekblad: 6’3†– 216 pounds
Jakob Chychrun: 6’2†– 194 pounds
Sean Day: 6’2†– 227 pounds

Aaron Ekblad: 54GP – 7G – 27A – 34PTS
Jakob Chychrun: 42GP – 16G – 17A – 33PTS
Sean Day: 61GP – 10G – 26A – 36PTS

Stats are from their OHL season prior to their NHL draft. Didn’t think it was fair to Ekblad and Day to put their first year up against Chychrun’s first year.
Day and Chychrun both have dual citizenship. Day has committed to play for Canada internationally, while Chychrun has not committed. Ekblad is Canadian.
All three were hyped as hyped could be going into the OHL, 2 and 3 years before their NHL draft.

Here’s how I view the three at the same stage in their careers:

Skating: Day, Chychrun, Ekblad

I'll add that Day is one of the most dynamic if not the most dynamic skater I have seen in several years.

Offensive creativity: Chychrun, Ekblad, Day
Defense: Chychrun, Ekblad, Day
Physicality: Ekblad, Chychrun, Day
Shot: Ekblad (by a hair), Chychrun, Day
Leadership: Ekblad, Chychrun, Day
Hockey sense: Chychrun (by a hair), Ekblad, Day

Let's remember Day didn't make the final cut for Team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka last month. Granted, it's just one small tournament in the summer, but it speaks volumes as to the other talent available and puts Day into perspective.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think the comparison's between Ekblad and Chychrun will go on for years. Day was in the conversation because of the path he took, but I don't think we see that comp any more.

Here's how I see it:

Aaron Ekblad: Drafted first overall in 2014
Jakob Chychrun: Available 2016 NHL Draft
Sean Day: Available 2016 NHL Draft

Aaron Ekblad: Granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada
Jakob Chychrun: Turned down the opportunity for exceptional status
Sean Day: Granted exceptional status by Hockey Canada.

Aaron Ekblad: 6’3†– 216 pounds
Jakob Chychrun: 6’2†– 194 pounds
Sean Day: 6’2†– 227 pounds

Aaron Ekblad: 54GP – 7G – 27A – 34PTS
Jakob Chychrun: 42GP – 16G – 17A – 33PTS
Sean Day: 61GP – 10G – 26A – 36PTS

Stats are from their OHL season prior to their NHL draft. Didn’t think it was fair to Ekblad and Day to put their first year up against Chychrun’s first year.
Day and Chychrun both have dual citizenship. Day has committed to play for Canada internationally, while Chychrun has not committed. Ekblad is Canadian.
All three were hyped as hyped could be going into the OHL, 2 and 3 years before their NHL draft.

Here’s how I view the three at the same stage in their careers:

Skating: Day, Chychrun, Ekblad

I'll add that Day is one of the most dynamic if not the most dynamic skater I have seen in several years.

Offensive creativity: Chychrun, Ekblad, Day
Defense: Chychrun, Ekblad, Day
Physicality: Ekblad, Chychrun, Day
Shot: Ekblad (by a hair), Chychrun, Day
Leadership: Ekblad, Chychrun, Day
Hockey sense: Chychrun (by a hair), Ekblad, Day

Let's remember Day didn't make the final cut for Team Canada at the Ivan Hlinka last month. Granted, it's just one small tournament in the summer, but it speaks volumes as to the other talent available and puts Day into perspective.

Brilliant post, Dom. Thanks.

Should we start sending monthly complimentary Boston lobsters over to Bettman's place to "help" our "chances" of landing a top 2 pick with the the Shark lottery pick? :)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Sharks were the 9th worst team in the NHL last year. I don't think they improve. They will likely miss the playoffs again and the lower they finish, the higher the chance they get picked in the lottery for picks 1-3.

If Sweeney plan fail and the Bruins don't make the playoffs, then we have a 2nd ball in the sweepstake.

Will be a very fun 15-16 season for plenty of reasons.

Here we go! Sharks tank!

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'm hoping to get Patrick "Don't Call Me Arnold" Laine.

Drafting Patrik Laine would complete the trilogy started by Kessel and Seguin. No denying his skill, but his character is highly questionable. Where have I heard that before...

I really hope they get Chychychychyrun though. Trade up if necessary. Enormous talent and would fit the team need like no other.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
This will be a great thread to pop into as the season goes on! Those Leaf tank threads were epic.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I see the Canucks, Flames, and Sharks fighting for that 4th spot in the division. I think the top 3 will be Ducks, Kings, Oilers. The Central division is stacked, so I don't know if 4 teams make it out of the Pacific.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I would have priapism for a decade if we somehow drafted Chychrun.

If he is indeed ahead of Ekblad I'd pick him #1! An instant franchise defenseman would be a nice auto-correct for aging Chara, Hamilton trade, and poor drafting for five years leading to Cross finally next in line, or nearly.

Dreaming now, but drafting #1 and #2 would also fis the Bruins in a matter of 30 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad