GDT: 2016 NHL Draft Pt. 2 (Draft Only)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
so we should hope that a good team (not on Fleury's list) with a NMC goalie has that goalie get hurt this year. They can then trade for Fleury as a rental and expose him to the draft. Its a perfect plan.

Hey, worst that happens failing that is they trade Murray, which I think is what they do unless Murray leads the Pens to another cup this coming season, in which case they might consider buying Fleury out.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I would love to see what would happen if there was a team run solely on votes of whether or not to do something on hfboards.mandatory.com.

I mean, itd be better ran than what benning is doing in Vancouver. I know that for sure.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I would love to see what would happen if there was a team run solely on votes of whether or not to do something on hfboards.mandatory.com.

i know two guys that wouldn't be on the roster and frankly that's enough for me

Jul 4, 2010
Overall I'd say we had a pretty subpar draft. Obviousy it's very early lol But the Hall pick and the Jones pick left me scratching my head. We shall see tho. Love the Gustavsson pick, great value late in the 2nd. Just now we got a log jam at the goalie position. Murray, Fleury, Jarry, Maguire, Gustavsson.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens cornered the market on LH d man who are stay home or not exactly speed guys.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I have a lot of mixed emotions right now. I looked at a lot of late round prospects and had my "favorites" and we got none of them. Sad...but...hey what do I know.

I understand them keeping Fleury. In some respects I can see they saying - well MAF has been the franchise goalie for a decade. He's earned the benefit of the doubt and he's earned it to stay. So I get that. I do. Kunitz is a team favorite so, while I don't agree, again, I get it. Bennett needed something I else. I totally get that. To go from a Cup team to a bottom 5...ouch. But onward and upward.

My worry is that we are falling into the same trap we did after 2009. The "hey this is a great group of guys...we will always ride high!". This players over team mindset is concerning. Not unexpected but concerning. A cold hearted logical GM would have moved MAF. Not giving a **** about tenure and moving him out in a move that's best overall for the team...wish we had a GM like that. But that's not the Penguins organization. Never has been, never will be.

At the same time, we are returned a cup winning roster. Minus Lovejoy and Schultz and potentially Cullen. Every one being replaceable. So, there's worst ways to enter the season. We have a lot of young forward talent in Sheary, Rust, Wilson, Kuhnhackl, etc...so we have options up front. Are they the glamorous big ticket FAs...no...but we got that last year in Kessel so...I mean we can't have it every year.

Restocking on defensive prospects are what we really, really needed. After Pouliot, we are incredibly thin. Worrisome thin. Problematic thin. Scary thin. We need to nab a #7 and #8. Injuries WILL happen. They do every year. This is why I wanted Schultz back so bad. He is exactly what we need.

The picks...I like them...but they are not who I would have gone after. Excited to have some fresh fish though. Gusty brings in all kinds of interesting options. MAF, Murray, Jarry, Macguire (maybe), and now Gusty. I'm guessing in a year or two Jarry and Gusty will be the starters in WBS and the better of the two will back up Murray. Our goalie needs should be met for the next decade.

We restocked on dmen which is awesome and grabbed what appears to be a gritty skilled forward with an attitude in Bjorkqvist. So...could be worse. We could have picked Pouliot over Forsberg again.

While I can appreciate the roster we have going into next season...there's worry and a bit of doubt in the back of my mind. Can't help it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure I like the direction the Pens scouting staff went in this draft. Seems like they went for a lot of "safe" picks, with either bottom six forwards or stay at home defensemen.

I'm not seeing a bunch of high end offensive potential or dynamic puck moving defensemen among their picks. Which seems weird given the team they've built.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This wasn't a great draft in my opinion. Gustavsson was the only guy we picked that has a very high ceiling I think, the rest don't seem to have a very high potential. I liked that we picked a bunch of defenseman, including some stay at home guys that can skate, but I didn't like who we picked. I would have rather had Day instead of Hall very easily.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I've never seen him play, I know nothing about UConn's season last year, and I know plus/minus is misleading. But how do you play 34 games, put up 21 points, and still end up a -18?! He sounds like he's all PP and horrendous in his own zone.

UConn were awful last season, and Masonius was their top defenseman by far. He probably got all the hard match-ups. His teammate and fellow Pens prospect Ryan Segalla, a pure defensive defenseman, was a -15 in only 21 games.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It is worth noting that last season was only UConn's 2nd in Hockey East and they're still one of the newer D1 programs. The +/- stats aren't hard to fathom since they're just not at the level of the Bostons, Notre Dames, etc. of the conference yet.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It does seem like they went with the 'safe' picks. Based on their reports and everything none of these guys seem dynamic offensively. Not that have a lower offensive celling means safe.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Underwhelming draft to say the least.
A goalie we didnt need.
An overager in the 2nd round who play in a lesser league (who werent even the most highly ranked of the overagers). Big reach imo.

After that its a crap shot. Would have liked for us to go for more skill tho. Especially with the Bennett pick.
Both the 3rd and 4 round pick seems to have Bortuzzo as their upside. ...

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I don't like making claims about how good or bad picks were outside of the first two rounds (and even then, if it's not in the top 15 or so it's iffy). It's really a crap shoot, and the average poster has never seen these guys play.

I'm interested to see how these guys develop. I like that they restocked the defensive pool. I imagine they expect Letang, Dumo and Maatta to be 3 of our top-4 for quite some time. If Pouliot ends up panning out, then we're set long-term and all we'd need is bottom pairing guys with a physical edge.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure I like the direction the Pens scouting staff went in this draft. Seems like they went for a lot of "safe" picks, with either bottom six forwards or stay at home defensemen.

I'm not seeing a bunch of high end offensive potential or dynamic puck moving defensemen among their picks. Which seems weird given the team they've built.

Strange to say the least but I wouldnt say it was a bad draft. Maybe they will have an agenda each year... Last year more about skill. This year more about workmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad