GDT: 2016 NHL Draft Lottery | Saturday, April 30th, 6pm MT (NBC, CBC) | The other 11.5%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Oilers came kinda close to pulling it off again. :laugh:

Consider Saturday a night of redemption. The Maple Leafs, who entered with the best odds for the No. 1 overall pick, had some of the worst odds to win the lottery after the first three balls climbed up the chute.

Six. Eight. Five.

No. 13 was the only ball left that could deliver the No. 1 pick to Toronto. It was a scant 9 per cent shot.

The Edmonton Oilers nearly pulled off Grand Theft Lotto for the fifth time. They were one of three teams, along with Winnipeg and Columbus, with two balls in the mix and the best odds.

The Maple Leafs hit the jackpot.

http://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-win-draft-lottery-is-matthews-in-their-sights-1.481476

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm just happy the Avs didn't fall. Another Rantanen-level prospect would be great.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
How can you not be excited about the 10th pick? There are some really good players in that range and you never know who might fall down a few spots.

Rantanen's don't come around often but our 10th pick is going to be an exciting prospect in the system.

Loved the new lottery system. Sucks that WPG won but it's not the worse thing ever.

EDM fans on Twitter are already talking about 4th OA for Barrie. It's going to be a long summer lol

I sincerely hope Roy doesn't get any ideas about the 4th overall and Dubois. Let's see; big, plays wing or centre, from the QMJHL, well rounded, and competitive. It's like a Patrick Roy wet dream.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Don't hold your breath. Avs were incredibly lucky to have Rants fall to them.

We won't get a Rantanen but they'll only be a notch lower, still someone very good.

Dubois would be a fantastic add but yeah it won't come without blowing something up. Basically any trade we make to either upgrade our draft pick or someone on the roster is going to take a core player or Z/Bigras/Rantanen. Our pick plus our assorted trash and no hype prospects are not getting anything.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Fair enough, but an argument could be made that Rantanen could've and should've been taken at least 3-4 spots higher than he was in an incredibly strong draft. Can't count on the Avs getting that lucky again.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If say Jost sneaks into the top 9, we take a defenseman right? Who do you guys see us picking if that doesn't happen?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Chiarelli in this article said:

“There’s a noticeable gap after the top three but there’s not another gap until 10 or 11."

IMO we're getting a good NHL player unless we go out of our way, Bleackley style.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Barrie to Edmonton for 4th overall pick.
Varlamov to Calgary for 6th overall pick.

We be rebuilding. :yo:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Barrie for 4th overall.
Sign Yandle 6.5x6.
Draft Dubois 4th overall.
Draft Chychrun/Sergachev 10th overall.

Win?

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Barrie for 4th overall.
Sign Yandle 6.5x6.
Draft Dubois 4th overall.
Draft Chychrun/Sergachev 10th overall.

Win?

Why wouldn't Edmonton keep the 4th and sign Yandle themselves?

What do the Avs do if they trade Barrie and miss out on Yandle?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

barrie is younger and RHD. fits the oilers better.

but i wouldn't do that if i'm edmonton. dubois good and cost-controlled for a longer time. of just take sergachev/chychrun if they like them a lot.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Obviously that was pure fantasy. Odds of that happening might be less than a %. But, I'd be one happy fan if thats how things played out.

Edit. And IC explained why Edmonton might not hang up the call immediately.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Chiarelli in this article said:

“There’s a noticeable gap after the top three but there’s not another gap until 10 or 11."

IMO we're getting a good NHL player unless we go out of our way, Bleackley style.

He wasn't a reach and that was also the 23rd pick.

There is absolutely no consensus 10 or 11. Each team might have their own 10 or 11. There's 5/6 and then at least 10 more than every team is going to have on their board in any order.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Don't hold your breath. Avs were incredibly lucky to have Rants fall to them.

Luck had nothing to do with it. It's all about their evaluation of these players as well as all the other teams in the top 10.

Not many could have foreseen the 1st year Rantanen had in the AHL. Many people wanted Crouse for the Avs (myself included) because he's going to be really hard to play against but with Iginla and Tanguay getting on in years, it made a ton more sense to get a skill guy who's got top-6 written all over him.

I don't think the Avs were necessarily 'lucky' to get him. It's like saying now that the Coyotes were 'lucky' to have OEL fall to them at #6 in 2009. Sure, Atlanta (Winnipeg) and LA would have traded E. Kane and B. Schenn in exchange rather easily a few years later but at the time of the draft, those teams felt they drafted the right prospect.

I don't know how you can say 'don't hold your breath', this kind of stuff happens every single year. Is it 'luck' or poor evaluations by other teams? The Avs seemed to have a good idea of what they were getting with Rantanen but did they expect the kind of impact he had as a first year pro? I'd say probably not.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Well said Bender, my thoughts as well. This draft isn't very top heavy, it's got some depth in the top 10-15 picks with a lot of players that could probably go just about anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chychrun or Juolevi dropt to us and become great picks.

If neither of them fall, there's Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois and Nylander ahead of the Avs. So we're looking at 8 names that have to fall perfectly in the top 9 to prevent us from getting a really good player. As we saw in the past years, the drafts don't always go according to the mocks. Meier jumped up just enough to land us Rantanen.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Luck in that teams ahead of us interested in him had one guy higher on their board. It's not like we were the only ones on to Rantanen. Things could have easily fallen a different way. Is that luck? Are we lucky we didn't trade the pick? Is it luck that the class was deep enough for us to get a talent like him at 10? It's definitely a few fortunate breaks at least.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Between Connor dropping to them and now the lottery likely landing them Laine, the Jets have really lucked out the last couple drafts, and it will change their whole franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca