GDT: 2016 Memorial Cup Thread

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Philly signed him already.

If our scout saw Lauzon enough to draft him in the 2nd last year, they should have seen that swift skating 6ft5 dman enough to give him an invite for the developpement camp last july. He looks soooo good. Yes of course he wasn't as good with the puck last year and mature tremendously this year, but you think a 6ft5 dman with that kind of feet would have been drafted in the Dub or the Ohl.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Really good game for DeBrusk so far --had a decent 1st period and then had a fantastic 2nd period.
I was underwhelmed with him in game 1 (and the other times that I have watched him in this year) but he is a different animal tonight. At the intermission they were saying that the difference is that he is actually moving his feet tonight. Yes, The Knights are great but they are just mortal kids his own age (and younger) but he stood around watching too much of the game the other day. It is great to be in open space and all that but his game turned tonight after that shift where his line starting moving/pressing and getting a lengthy cycle going.

Lauzon, looked like a guy that is being asked to play in back-to-back nights at the highest level after not playing for a month+. Hard to be critical of him in this situation/context but he isn't looking as good as he was the other night. I'll be interested in seeing him against the Knights after he has had a day of rest.

I really didn't think Lauzon looked that bad last night? It appeared to me that he didn't play nearly as many minutes as he did against Brandon, but maybe that was my imagination? I still saw the tools that he displayed Saturday night: size, physicality, and good mobility. He just wasn't as noticeable as he was against Brandon. To Colt's point, the second game in two nights after not playing for a month was probably a tough go for Lauzon, particularly when he was as physical as he was Saturday.

DeBrusk was very good around the net. I can definitely see the Loui comparison because of the IQ, poise, and net-front presence. I think he needs to continue to improve on his skating and burst, but it doesn't appear to be a liability. I'm not familiar with the C on his line (#12 Filip?), but if the guy had any finish last night, JD could have another 2-3 assists easy, as DeBrusk set him up 4 times in front. The thing I liked the most about about DeBrusk was the poise down low, the quick hands, and the ability to move the puck to the right spot/guy. Like DKH, I knew that JD was banged up, but didn't realize he had surgery on the family jewels, and came back to early (according to Damien Cox).

Looks like the B's got two guys who love to play and aren't going to let injuries keep them down.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If our scout saw Lauzon enough to draft him in the 2nd last year, they should have seen that swift skating 6ft5 dman enough to give him an invite for the developpement camp last july. He looks soooo good. Yes of course he wasn't as good with the puck last year and mature tremendously this year, but you think a 6ft5 dman with that kind of feet would have been drafted in the Dub or the Ohl.

Myers looks good, but I see zero physicality to his game, literally none. Not sure how that will play as he moves up and starts playing the big boys? The ability to project what a prospect will look like down the road is an inexact one, and scouts are going to miss on guys, especially late bloomers. The B's appear to have hit on guys like Vatrano and Heinen, but may have missed on Myers.

It happens.

ps I just checked Myers numbers from last year, 2/6 in 60 games, and a -14 (by comparison Lauzon was 15/21 +12). What was the B's scout thinking not offering this kid a contract?...

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really didn't think Lauzon looked that bad last night? It appeared to me that he didn't play nearly as many minutes as he did against Brandon, but maybe that was my imagination? I still saw the tools that he displayed Saturday night: size, physicality, and good mobility. He just wasn't as noticeable as he was against Brandon. To Colt's point, the second game in two nights after not playing for a month was probably a tough go for Lauzon, particularly when he was as physical as he was Saturday.

DeBrusk was very good around the net. I can definitely see the Loui comparison because of the IQ, poise, and net-front presence. I think he needs to continue to improve on his skating and burst, but it doesn't appear to be a liability. I'm not familiar with the C on his line (#12 Filip?), but if the guy had any finish last night, JD could have another 2-3 assists easy, as DeBrusk set him up 4 times in front. The thing I liked the most about about DeBrusk was the poise down low, the quick hands, and the ability to move the puck to the right spot/guy. Like DKH, I knew that JD was banged up, but didn't realize he had surgery on the family jewels, and came back to early (according to Damien Cox).

Looks like the B's got two guys who love to play and aren't going to let injuries keep them down.

Also, if I may?

Other than going up against arguably the hottest team in Junior hockey right now in the Knights, the Rebels haven`t played a meaningful game themselves in 3 weeks and it showed. Not saying they are in the class of the Knights and had they been playing in that time they would have fared better but that whole Rebels team looked exactly how I anticipated after hearing how long they had been done playing would look

Think the back to backers + time missed caught up a bit on Lauzon last night but still played a decent game

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
ps I just checked Myers numbers from last year, 2/6 in 60 games, and a -14 (by comparison Lauzon was 15/21 +12). What was the B's scout thinking not offering this kid a contract?...

That didn't stop the Flyers to give Myers an invite, Then a contrat.

Myers return to junior and turn that 2/6 in 60 games and a -14 into a 17/48 in 63 games and a +52.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Myers return to junior and turn that 2/6 in 60 games and a -14 into a 17/48 in 63 games and a +52.

Awesome, I'm really happy for them. Guessing that Myers didn't have a bunch of teams beating down his door for tryouts? At any rate, why is it that some posters bend over backwards to criticize the B's for not signing a guy like Myers, yet give them very little credit when two undrafted FA's they did find, played in the NHL for them this year, (and another was one of the top rookie scorers in the AHL)??

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Awesome, I'm really happy for them. Guessing that Myers didn't have a bunch of teams beating down his door for tryouts? At any rate, why is it that some posters bend over backwards to criticize the B's for not signing a guy like Myers, yet give them very little credit when two undrafted FA's they did find, played in the NHL for them this year, (and another was one of the top rookie scorers in the AHL)??

Because what you missed on out having is clearly more valuable than what you ended up with.

"I know I got ice cream but Bobby got cake and and I didn't :cry:"

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

If the Philly scouts liked him that much, they would have used one of their 9 picks on him. They had seven picks in rounds 3-7.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site

Well, initially I would have like for them if they could have invite him, seeing alot of Rouyn Noranda's game, but now reading that, I'm glad they didn't invite this !!%!%$/" at developpement camp because Vatrano and Acciari where taking exactly his spot since our scout saw Myers as more of a big foward who can skate backward good ...

Sarcasm aside, they see Myers extensively, there was something to see that others did see and not us. Will the world come to an end because of this? No Does this "mistake" make the Vatrano signing a really bad move? No Will they miss things? Yes Do the Myers thread on our board as more reply then the Vatrano one? No, just 3-4 comments out of hundred of thousands comments and not even a thread didicated to him.

We're in a hockey board, as fans of the same team, talking about our teams good and bad moves. Funny enough, I'm one of the guy here who's the most positive about the group of guy we have on our roster, I just don't agree with the vision the "consensus" have of our prospect. Do we have alot of dept? Yes, I love the dept, there's future Nhler in that group for sure, probably many. Do we have high end talent with that depth? No, maybe a couple guys can turn out to be top 6 foward or 2nd pairing guy, but few of them have that ceilling and they'll have to really developp to their best to reach it. Do I want to be wrong and see Senyshyn becoming a 40 goals 1st liner and Zboril a do it all #2? Of course I wich !!! We are all fan after all.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
If the Philly scouts liked him that much, they would have used one of their 9 picks on him. They had seven picks in rounds 3-7.

And if the Bruins scout like Bergeron that much they wouldn't have taken Mark Stuart before him. And if they liked Lucic so much they wouldn't have taken Alexandrov before him ...

At the end of the day, you have 5-10 picks in a draft. You probably like 50 more guys ... Can't draft them all ... Not drafting him doesn't mean you didn't like him, you only have a really limited number of picks to make. Not inviting him for free after isn't the same thing.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well, initially I would have like for them if they could have invite him, seeing alot of Rouyn Noranda's game, but now reading that, I'm glad they didn't invite this !!%!%$/" at developpement camp because Vatrano and Acciari where taking exactly his spot since our scout saw Myers as more of a big foward who can skate backward good ...

Sarcasm aside, they see Myers extensively, there was something to see that others did see and not us. Will the world come to an end because of this? No Does this "mistake" make the Vatrano signing a really bad move? No Will they miss things? Yes Do the Myers thread on our board as more reply then the Vatrano one? No, just 3-4 comments out of hundred of thousands comments and not even a thread didicated to him.

We're in a hockey board, as fans of the same team, talking about our teams good and bad moves. Funny enough, I'm one of the guy here who's the most positive about the group of guy we have on our roster, I just don't agree with the vision the "consensus" have of our prospect. Do we have alot of dept? Yes, I love the dept, there's future Nhler in that group for sure, probably many. Do we have high end talent with that depth? No, maybe a couple guys can turn out to be top 6 foward or 2nd pairing guy, but few of them have that ceilling and they'll have to really developp to their best to reach it. Do I want to be wrong and see Senyshyn becoming a 40 goals 1st liner and Zboril a do it all #2? Of course I wich !!! We are all fan after all.

I love a debate/discussion as much as anyone, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about balance. Do I wish the B's had given Myers a longer look based on his production this year? Sure, but as you pointed out in another post, they can't sign everyone. It would stand to reason that if the B's drafted Lauzon, they must have seen a fair amount of Myers as well? For whatever reason, they didn't draft him, nor give him an invite to Camp. They have done a pretty good job with FA's of late, so it's not like they are not exploring all avenues.

Kudos to Philly for seeing something in him. I just get worn down by all the posts (not yours) that constantly paint the B's in a negative light. It's tiresome. Don't be a fanboy, but also don't go out of your way to look at the down side of everything the team you root for (supposedly) does. Too much to ask?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Big game tonight between London and RN. With the way the Knights have been playing and the way the Huskies like to push the play, we are liable to see 15 goals tonight :laugh:

I will be interested in seeing how Lauzon does against a stacked London offense that has been shredding good teams thus far. I would like to continue to see the physicality, but perhaps a little better decision making against a team that's likely to capitalize on any mistake.

If London wins, they move on to the Champ game, correct? Then RN would have to wait the outcome of the Red Deer v Brandon game to see what will happen? If RD wins, that means Brandon would be out? If Brandon wins, who gets 2nd and who plays in the TB game?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Big game tonight between London and RN. With the way the Knights have been playing and the way the Huskies like to push the play, we are liable to see 15 goals tonight :laugh:

I will be interested in seeing how Lauzon does against a stacked London offense that has been shredding good teams thus far. I would like to continue to see the physicality, but perhaps a little better decision making against a team that's likely to capitalize on any mistake.

If London wins, they move on to the Champ game, correct? Then RN would have to wait the outcome of the Red Deer v Brandon game to see what will happen? If RD wins, that means Brandon would be out? If Brandon wins, who gets 2nd and who plays in the TB game?

Free pass to the finals for the Knights with a win. Haven`t seen a team this stacked and dominant in a few years.

That year was 2013, MOOOOOOOOOOSEHEADS with Drouin and Mackinnon leading the way:yo:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Are we so sure Myers didn't attend any other teams development camps on a try-out? Because I can guarantee he was at the Calgary Flames development camp for one.

He also turned down invitations to other camps, because you know, you can't be in more than one place at a time. Or can you?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Are we so sure Myers didn't attend any other teams development camps on a try-out? Because I can guarantee he was at the Calgary Flames development camp for one.

He also turned down invitations to other camps, because you know, you can't be in more than one place at a time. Or can you?

You tell me. I'm still trying to figure out the Memorial Cup format :laugh:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Lauzon in the box as the Knights go on the PP to make it 1-0.

The call on Lauzon was one of the softest/worst calls I have seen in a long, long time. 3 penalties called already, just God awful. Huskies were taking it to them before that ******** call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad