GDT: 2016 Memorial Cup Thread

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'm not sure where to post this stuff as I'm seeing it and posting in 3 different threads (then I remembered that I've made these in the past).

DeBrusk was pretty invisible in game 1 for long stretches. Skating looks better.

Lauzon on the other hand, in his first game in forever: steps up and crushes a Wheatie then (after coming out of the box) wheels it up the ice and puts a nice move before a little saucer pass on the primary assist to tie up the game. What. A. Beauty.

Anyway, please post thoughts on the games here BUT ALSO, there are LOTS of 2016 Draft eligible kids in this draft that we should be looking at as well.

DeBrusk
Lauzon
and a bunch of future Bruins :)

Carry on....

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Also, this Huskies/Wheatkings game had more hits and attempted hits in the first 15 mins than whole NHL playoff series.

Announcer is now singing the praises of Lauzon's impact on the game.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Lauzon looks like an absolute stud. I've loved what I've read/heard about him but this is my first live viewing and it validates everything said about him.

It is interesting watching him and Provorov on the same ice.

The Wheatkings were really dominating physically in his game and I felt that Lauzon hit really made a huge statement (and impact on the player that appeared to be heading to the room).

This is my first viewing of Lauzon in 2016 and he reminds me of Luc Bourdon (a good thing) but his stats (draft year to draft+1) look very similar to Letang.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
It is interesting watching him and Provorov on the same ice.

The Wheatkings were really dominating physically in his game and I felt that Lauzon hit really made a huge statement (and impact on the player that appeared to be heading to the room).

This is my first viewing of Lauzon in 2016 and he reminds me of Luc Bourdon (a good thing) but his stats (draft year to draft+1) look very similar to Letang.

Not afraid to jump in the play. Solid in his own end. Fluid skater. Takes the body. Has good size. Was in the mix on that goal even though he didn't score. Thoroughly impressed.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Lauzon gets up in the rush in a hurry --goes to the net and forces the Wheaties Dman to tie him up ..... which leads to a completely uncovered Timo Meier making it 3-1.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I really liked Victor Mete's skill/speed combo last night --looks bigger than the 5'10 he is listed at. I'd be A-OK with looking at him with a 2nd.

I'd love to hear Dom's OHL-based take on him though.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Here's the play for those that missed it

That angle doesn't do that pass justice. Looked like he was going to his backhand to go around the defender (who he had pulled out wide) then flicked the pass over still on his forehand right on the stick.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Would love footage or GIFS of the hits mentioned, I've been high on this kid the second he was drafted. Let's get some rough and tumble that has been lacking since Ference left the blue line.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm not sure where to post this stuff as I'm seeing it and posting in 3 different threads (then I remembered that I've made these in the past).

DeBrusk was pretty invisible in game 1 for long stretches. Skating looks better.

Lauzon on the other hand, in his first game in forever: steps up and crushes a Wheatie then (after coming out of the box) wheels it up the ice and puts a nice move before a little saucer pass on the primary assist to tie up the game. What. A. Beauty.

Anyway, please post thoughts on the games here BUT ALSO, there are LOTS of 2016 Draft eligible kids in this draft that we should be looking at as well.

DeBrusk
Lauzon
and a bunch of future Bruins :)

Carry on....

London has made a lot of opponents look very ordinary this year, so I'm not writing DeBrusk off based on one subpar performance.

By the same token, I'm not going to get too gaga over Lauzon based on one game...

I have to say I'm having a hard time doing that with his play though :laugh:

Love that hit at the end of the second when he caught NJ 1st rounder John Quennville (who left the ice slowly) with his head down.

Easy to see why Sweeeney and the B's love this kid.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Love seeing the aggressive side of Lauzon. Watched him twice live where played more of a quiet/steady game. Must be approaching close to double digit hits.

Only watched the first two periods of DeBrusk playing yesterday, but he was very underwhelming. Looked liked he was playing mostly on the right wing. Got demoted to a lower line with less responsibility in favor of Bleakley, who had a very physical/energetic start to the game. Was like night and day from the last time he was on sportsnet early in the WHL playoffs. I expect him to bounce back.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
A couple bad plays by Lauzon tonight including getting beat up the middle on that beauty Provorov pass on that "are you kidding me" breakaway goal.

Seriously though, what a crazy good goal.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Is Lauzon typically this physical? I'm starting to get the ol' pants-tent thing going.

That is one of his calling cards, yes. He made 2 bad plays tonight (gotta point out the good and the bad, right) one where he went to finish a check instead of playing the puck.... and it led to a Provorov breakaway.

His physical play has been crucial because the W'Kings came out hitting hard *BUT* he is going to have to do things a little smarter in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad