2016 Memorial Cup: May 20-29 in Red Deer, AB

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I watch a decent amount of WHL hockey when I can. Don't know very much about the other two teams.

Limited viewings of the Knights and obvious hype about their team. I know absolutely nothing about RN. Anyone willing to give a run down of either of those teams who watched them frequently?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Will this be televised for us in the US?

You might have to order the games for stream from the CHL website. The games are usually pretty damn cheap and it's awesome hockey. More exciting than the NHL playoffs at times. It's really high end hockey. The best the Canadian junior leagues have to offer.

I'm surprised it's not bigger here considering the amount of prospects for both Canadian and American teams that are usually playing.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I watch a decent amount of WHL hockey when I can. Don't know very much about the other two teams.

Limited viewings of the Knights and obvious hype about their team. I know absolutely nothing about RN. Anyone willing to give a run down of either of those teams who watched them frequently?

I've been a big fan, can try to answer anything about RN.

The main thing to know about RN is they are fast. Not just skating fast but everything at lightning speed. Passing, shooting, in transition, on the puck. They aren't a run and gun fire wagon team tho. They are very defensively responsible, back check, their defensemen are fantastically mobile and all great two way players. They have incredible depth, all four lines and pairs, are a sum is greater than the parts type team, they play with great chemistry and something like 15 of their players were drafted by the team. Most people probably don't know the parts are pretty good in 8 NHL drafted players (I'm including Myers in that and 5 of them are signed). They use their speed to set everything up, block shots and get in passing lanes, create turnovers and get on the puck first. Then they will use their passing plays to get into the offensive zone quickly. They don't cycle as much as use cross ice passes. They will get better as the game goes on, they'll just flat out wear down the opposition. I don't think they will have as much trouble with skill guys, the only way to slow the RN machine down is to play physical on them but they can push back too, they aren't soft. Just in a one game match their rhythm could get disrupted. On the other hand, other teams should be ready for RN because they continually attack, every line and shift.

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
2016 Memorial Cup Preview

With the 2016 Mastercard Memorial Cup Tournament kicking off on Friday night, Here is our preview on the tournament.

A number of NHL prospects along with 2016 and 2017 NHL Draft Eligible players will be appearing in the tournament, should be a good one to keep an eye for those who want to see how your teams prospects are doing.

https://prospectshockey.wordpress.com/2016/05/18/2016-memorial-cup-championship-preview/

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've been a big fan, can try to answer anything about RN.

The main thing to know about RN is they are fast. Not just skating fast but everything at lightning speed. Passing, shooting, in transition, on the puck. They aren't a run and gun fire wagon team tho. They are very defensively responsible, back check, their defensemen are fantastically mobile and all great two way players. They have incredible depth, all four lines and pairs, are a sum is greater than the parts type team, they play with great chemistry and something like 15 of their players were drafted by the team. Most people probably don't know the parts are pretty good in 8 NHL drafted players (I'm including Myers in that and 5 of them are signed). They use their speed to set everything up, block shots and get in passing lanes, create turnovers and get on the puck first. Then they will use their passing plays to get into the offensive zone quickly. They don't cycle as much as use cross ice passes. They will get better as the game goes on, they'll just flat out wear down the opposition. I don't think they will have as much trouble with skill guys, the only way to slow the RN machine down is to play physical on them but they can push back too, they aren't soft. Just in a one game match their rhythm could get disrupted. On the other hand, other teams should be ready for RN because they continually attack, every line and shift.

Awesome, thanks for the review. I told a couple Philly fans I would go and give a review of Myers play live. Should be good to see the speed you talk about live.

If anyone sees this and has prospects for their teams they would like a review of, let me know and I will try to take some notes and give a review in their prospect thread of what I see live.

I always find it better to judge players/teams, especially at the junior level live. You notice the nuances much better in person I find.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Awesome, thanks for the review. I told a couple Philly fans I would go and give a review of Myers play live. Should be good to see the speed you talk about live.

If anyone sees this and has prospects for their teams they would like a review of, let me know and I will try to take some notes and give a review in their prospect thread of what I see live.

I always find it better to judge players/teams, especially at the junior level live. You notice the nuances much better in person I find.

Sure, I'd love to get unbiased thoughts on the Avs prospects from Rouyn-Noranda. Nantel (11), Greer (8) and Beaudin (16). I'm not entirely sure if Beaudin will play, he has a shoulder injury. They've thrown him out there in limited fashion a couple games and I suspect will do the same here in the Mem Cup. If he's not taking draws and centering Meier and Perron then he's still limited but if you have any thoughts anyway I'll take it.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I usually cheer for the WHL teams but I don't like Brandon and I always have a hard time rooting for a host who didn't at least make the finals. Really like what I'm hearing about Rouyn Noranda a fast team, star player coming back from horrible injury (Lauzon) and I don't know much about the Q but I believe aren't some powerhouse team every year like London and Brandon who get star players wanting to play their every year.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Any news on J. Lauzon?

EDIT: He's cleared and will play Saturday. Awesome.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The rankings before the end of the season:

http://theqnews.net/2016/03/18/chl-top-10-rankings-week-25-2/

1. Rouyn-Noranda Huskies
3. London Knights
9. Brandon Wheat Kings
Unranked. Red Deer Rebels

I'm cheering for my Knights, but I'll have a soft spot for the Huskies and Dzierkals.

Should be one of the best memorial cups in years with this much high-end talent on all four teams:

Huskies: Perron, Meier, Greer, Brouillard, Lauzon, Myers, Dzierkals

Knights: Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Pu, Jones, Berisha, Mete, Juolevi, Parsons

Wheaties: Patrick, Hawryluk, Quenneville, Provorov, Clague

Rebels: Jake DeBrusk, Conner Bleackley, Hayden Fleury

BigNumber1Centre

Mar 19, 2010
Alberta
The rankings before the end of the season:

http://theqnews.net/2016/03/18/chl-top-10-rankings-week-25-2/

1. Rouyn-Noranda Huskies
3. London Knights
9. Brandon Wheat Kings
Unranked. Red Deer Rebels

I'm cheering for my Knights, but I'll have a soft spot for the Huskies and Dzierkals.

Should be one of the best memorial cups in years with this much high-end talent on all four teams:

Huskies: Perron, Meier, Greer, Brouillard, Lauzon, Myers, Dzierkals

Knights: Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Pu, Jones, Berisha, Mete, Juolevi, Parsons

Wheaties: Patrick, Hawryluk, Quenneville, Provorov, Clague

Rebels: Jake DeBrusk, Conner Bleackley, Hayden Fleury

Things are not looking promising for Bleackley. He is still recovering from a wrist injury and may re-enter the draft if Arizona doesn't sign him. A couple other guys to keep an eye on for RD are Helewka and Spacek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad