Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 182nd Overall - Nikolai Chebykin - LW - MVD Balashikha [6-3/209]

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Back in the WHL?

When was he in the Dub?

Are you mixing him up with Vladimir Bobylev whom Leafs took in the 5th round last year that played in Victoria of the WHL?.

Ya he got his Ruskies mixed up. If they end in Lev or Lov or Kov it's all the same right?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ya he got his Ruskies mixed up. If they end in Lev or Lov or Kov it's all the same right?

yep my bad mixed up the 2, sorry guys. I was looking up Bobylev's stats at the same time and then saw this thread and mixed the 2 up. Honest mistake no intent to offend

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Really impressed with his quick release and his hands in tight around the net!
If he keeps going like that and adds some size to survive in front of the net in the nhl, he should make it one day.

Look at his size compared to the players around him.. He's bigger than most his age.. Yes.. Some really sweet goals in this package....
And there are different types of goals, so that is good that he is not stuck to one trick...

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Now obviously point totals aren't everything, BUT, to put it in comparison: German Rubstov, 22nd Overall Pick by the Philadelphia Flyers, has 7g 8a (15p) in 15gp in the same League (MHL) this year. So both Draft+1 players. Yet, Nikolai Chebykin is crushing Rubstov's totals.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Now obviously point totals aren't everything, BUT, to put it in comparison: German Rubstov, 22nd Overall Pick by the Philadelphia Flyers, has 7g 8a (15p) in 15gp in the same League (MHL) this year. So both Draft+1 players. Yet, Nikolai Chebykin is crushing Rubstov's totals.

German Rubstov is 18 and was draft eligible for the 2016 draft for the 1st time, in the 1st round.

Nikolai Chebykin is 19 and was draft eligible for the 2015 draft but passed over in his draft year and taken in 2016 the 2nd time through the draft in the 7th round.

Age makes a significant difference at these ages.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
German Rubstov is 18 and was draft eligible for the 2016 draft for the 1st time.

Nikolai Chebykin is 19 and was draft eligible for the 2015 draft but passed over in his draft year and taken in 2016 the 2nd time through the draft.

Age makes a significant difference at these ages.

Ok good catch. I thought this was Chebykin's draft+1 year, I didn't know he had been passed over once before.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ok good catch. I thought this was Chebykin's draft+1 year, I didn't know he had been passed over once before.

While this one year age gap thing is a legit reason to lower his accomplishments it basically says there is no such thing as late blooming prospects. What if he figured out this year just because he is a year older doesn't mean he has to go 1.5 ppg to be considered having a good season.

The fact rubtsov was 1st rounder his 1st time eligible while chebykin was a 7th round pick in his 2nd time should really wipe out the age difference anyway, a player selected in the 7th should never be near the scoring level of a 1st rounder even if there is a 1 year age difference in fact the fact he was passed over should make it more remarkable

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Also taken in the 7th round also or he might have been passed over nearly twice.

We are comparing a 1st round draft pick Rubstov to a 7th rounder (passed once).

FYI: German Rubtsov had surgery recently for a broken nose, which he injured while playing in the World Junior Championship. Rubtsov is also leaving the KHL (Russia's top league), (after having his contract voided) to play in the QMJHL for the Chicoutimi Sagueneens, where he will likely be joining them soon and his MHL days are also over.

Ramboshaw

Apr 9, 2012
Meadow Lake, SK
Is it common that player taken in the 1st round #22OA would be considered = as a prospect taken in the 7th round #182 OA in the same draft?.
Well I wouldn't have compared them if I knew Chebykin had been passed over once, I thought only Bobylev and Korshkov were our only two overaged Russians drafted, I didn't know it was all three.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Well I wouldn't have compared them if I knew Chebykin had been passed over once, I thought only Bobylev and Korshkov were our only two overaged Russians drafted, I didn't know it was all three.

Bobylev goal and 3a assists last night for Victoria of the whl.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Is it common that player taken in the 1st round #22OA would be considered = as a prospect taken in the 7th round #182 OA in the same draft?.

Apparently a player skipped over in one draft to be taken in the 7th round the following year scoring at the same pace as a 22nd oa is less than to be expected

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Bobylev goal and 3a assists last night for Victoria of the whl.

Hopefully he continues to pick up his game, but most likely he won't be on the Marlies next year. However, he is listed as a center and the Marlies do need those. Since it is rather unlikely he goes back to the CHL as an Import OA (those rarely happen because they take up 2 valuable spots), it'll either be the AHL where he can be nice center depth and competition with Brooks, Cameranesi and Toninato behind Froese and Smith (assuming both are back next year) or the KHL for a couple of years before hopefully coming back (aka the Herzog route that never materialized).

Chebykin is a nice little sleeper pick, but he also needs another year in Europe. Hopefully we see Engvall and Lindgren come over, as their deals expire. Lindgren especially would be a welcome addition to a Marlies team that lacks RD and offense on the back end. Engvall is a winger; we have a lot of those. As long as the long term guys continue to develop, that's all we can hope for.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hopefully he continues to pick up his game, but most likely he won't be on the Marlies next year. However, he is listed as a center and the Marlies do need those. Since it is rather unlikely he goes back to the CHL as an Import OA (those rarely happen because they take up 2 valuable spots), it'll either be the AHL where he can be nice center depth and competition with Brooks, Cameranesi and Toninato behind Froese and Smith (assuming both are back next year) or the KHL for a couple of years before hopefully coming back (aka the Herzog route that never materialized).

Chebykin is a nice little sleeper pick, but he also needs another year in Europe. Hopefully we see Engvall and Lindgren come over, as their deals expire. Lindgren especially would be a welcome addition to a Marlies team that lacks RD and offense on the back end. Engvall is a winger; we have a lot of those. As long as the long term guys continue to develop, that's all we can hope for.

I think it is far more likely he goes to the marlies he went and tried the khl this year and came back to the whl. He is listed at c (not sure he ever plays there) but also is a LW both positions are weak within the organization

Bobylov this is

I agree on chebykin leave him there I think he has a contract anyway so there isn't much we can do with him even if we wanted too

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
LOL, he glides from the blueline around the net, I don't think he actually pushes off once in the offensive zone, try that in the NHL and you'll end up on your a$$ .. nice edges but #juniorgoal

#juniorgoal in a mens league? the VHL is the AHL equivalent, the MHL is the CHL equivalent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad