Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Pick - 101st Overall (COL) - Keaton Middleton - D - Saginaw [6-6/235]

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
But because Nielsen wasn't on any WHL team until his NHL draft year, he didn't have these benefits. Both Nielsen and Middleton started playing Major Junior the same year then, so judging him by the added benefits of being a late '96 doesn't apply to him.

Like I said, and what you said, Nielsen's growth is shown when you really break it down even further, he's impressive. Middleton hopefully improves his skating and hopefully develops a deeper skill set.

I don't think people are saying Middleton is better than Nielsen. We are just stating Middleton has been in a better league at a younger age... (Thus possibly influencing statistical outputs).

This is a statement based on looking at numbers and not actual play. Again, we're not arguing who is better, just stating who has been playing tougher competition.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I have to admit, was underwhelmed last year with the Dermott, Nielsen and Dzerkalis picks. Just seemed like there were better prospects available. Thought same thing this year with both Korshikov and Middleton. Fast forward, I really like our picks from 2015 based on what they have done, so hoping for same thing applies this year.

Pretty obvious this management team comes into the draft with a defined objective. Last year looks like the mandate was to add more skill, this year it definitely looks like adding size was priority.

buttman*

I have to admit, was underwhelmed last year with the Dermott, Nielsen and Dzerkalis picks. Just seemed like there were better prospects available. Thought same thing this year with both Korshikov and Middleton. Fast forward, I really like our picks from 2015 based on what they have done, so hoping for same thing applies this year.

Pretty obvious this management team comes into the draft with a defined objective. Last year looks like the mandate was to add more skill, this year it definitely looks like adding size was priority.

At least the have a plan and they put in tons of hours of scouting as well. Previous regimes didn't have much of a plan and didn't have the dedication of this group. This group needs time. Even if they haven't hit a home run yet I see a draft coming where they will reshape the franchise. Too well prepared to not hit some home runs eventually.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
At least the have a plan and they put in tons of hours of scouting as well. Previous regimes didn't have much of a plan and didn't have the dedication of this group. This group needs time. Even if they haven't hit a home run yet I see a draft coming where they will reshape the franchise. Too well prepared to not hit some home runs eventually.

Agreed. What I like is that it seems Shanahan did his homework and went out to hire the best people he could find. Changed days of management hiring buddies.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I don't think people are saying Middleton is better than Nielsen. We are just stating Middleton has been in a better league at a younger age... (Thus possibly influencing statistical outputs).

This is a statement based on looking at numbers and not actual play. Again, we're not arguing who is better, just stating who has been playing tougher competition.

The discussion started with stats, not play.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Oof. Was hoping he'd at least have some wheels for a big man but he sounds more like a pure ogre everyday.

I just don't know what to think. Honestly, I was so stoked after the skill and speed drafted last year. I just can't believe Hunter drafted a face smashing behemoth that can't skate in the 4th round this year.

Can someone help me with this?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I just don't know what to think. Honestly, I was so stoked after the skill and speed drafted last year. I just can't believe Hunter drafted a face smashing behemoth that can't skate in the 4th round this year.

The woman in this picture:
barbunderhill.jpeg.size.custom.crop.737x650.jpg

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The woman in this picture:
barbunderhill.jpeg.size.custom.crop.737x650.jpg

Well, if that's it, then it's not good. Barb is adept at honing the skating skills of decent skaters and making some of them good but taking a terrible skater and making him just below average isn't a good bet. I remember Jamie Devane talking about how much he was working with Barb.

It feels like a completely wasted pick. I want to believe this isn't true.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
If Hunter and co believe that with some work on his skating he will be taken to another level than I am willing to see what happens. This was the only pick I wasn't a fan of at the time of the draft.

Hunter does like his big guys on defense to match his smaller guys though.

Martenet
Zadorov
Tinordi

all were Knights in recent years (6'5+)

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Big defense like Middleton are usually very long projects. We'll see how his skating has improved in 3 years.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Well, if that's it, then it's not good. Barb is adept at honing the skating skills of decent skaters and making some of them good but taking a terrible skater and making him just below average isn't a good bet. I remember Jamie Devane talking about how much he was working with Barb.

It feels like a completely wasted pick. I want to believe this isn't true.

Dude, it was a 4th round pick, and he has good upside. I trust Hunter.

You're right in thinking that there is high risk with the pick, but Barb can make terrible skaters good. Look at Brian Boyle. But I won't keep ya from being a pessimist if that is what you want to be... ;)

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Dude, it was a 4th round pick, and he has good upside. I trust Hunter.

You're right in thinking that there is high risk with the pick, but Barb can make terrible skaters good. Look at Brian Boyle. But I won't keep ya from being a pessimist if that is what you want to be... ;)

Ya not so much pessimism as experienced scepticism. Didn't realize Barb morphed Boyle into what he is - that's great if so. She has really helped Connor Brown lately. Currently watching Freddy for marked improvement as a kind of measuring stick for our bigger guys.

I appreciate your responses :)

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
If Hunter and co believe that with some work on his skating he will be taken to another level than I am willing to see what happens. This was the only pick I wasn't a fan of at the time of the draft.

Hunter does like his big guys on defense to match his smaller guys though.

Martenet
Zadorov
Tinordi

all were Knights in recent years (6'5+)

Mete is small but generally the CHL has a fair number of effective smaller d-man. Can't argue with Hunter's record in the CHL.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I've brought up that the year prior to their draft years was when Nielsen was in Midget, while Middleton was in the OHL. But when Nielsen was Middleton's current age, and I'm looking at it how the NHL draft looks at it, he had 24 points in WHL.

I'm not trying to pile on, but this is why so many poster (including myself) were disagreeing with you. As has been mentioned, we were judging based on calendar year, not draft eligibility.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
KM looked really good today. He works well within his skating ability. Teamed up with a smaller offensive guy like Dermott could be his future if everything works out. Anyway, I feel better after watching him today.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I was very impressed with Middleton today

Most people making him out to be this slow big goon with no skill

I think he is going to surprise a lot of people

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not saying this guy will ever be a stud but I think fans will be more content with this pick around Christmas.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yeah, no where near the ogre/ wasted pick this was billed as. Needs some time for his quad strength to catch up to his mass and frame.

Very raw project with massive upside as the modern version of the physical shut-down d-man.

Move well. Punish. Pass out of the zone.

Number13

May 21, 2007

Here I'll help you:

Relax.

It's a month after the draft, he's an 18 year old 6'06, 245 pound punishing defenseman still growing into his body. Let the scouts and the development staff do their jobs, they've earned our trust by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad