2016 LA Kings Offseason GDT IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
With Kopitar/Quick/Doughty/Carter/Toffoli/Muzzin/Pearson, playing like they did last year. The Kings will be in the playoffs again.

The team would have to get decimated by injuries or Kopitar/Doughty/Quick fall off a cliff, to not score above 92-95 points.

Edmonton is by no means an elite team all of a sudden, but a healthy McDavid can have them threatening for a spot.

Kings can't afford a 4 week+ injury to one of 11-8-32 or playoffs will be tough. Not expecting a 2015 division fluke job again but I expect the division to not be as bad as it was last year, either.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Then it was the money for Lucic. If Brad Richards signs then we will deep on paper. Now I'm singing a different tune lol. If Gravel performs good then maybe he can make Martinez expendable . 2012 anyone ? Martinez for the next Jeff Carter

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
Per source, Kings' last offer to Lucic was 8-years, $34M... which is $4.25M AAV. He now makes $8M more over 1 less year in Edmonton.
2:33 PM - 1 Jul 2016

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Don't fault DL one bit for not giving the required NMC/NTC, but isn't it obvious Lucic would want one before you trade for him?

Interesting regardless. If Lucic is back, DL is all-in again and moves some players for help on defense.

No Lucic so it is depth and stop-gaps.

I think the latter is the best long-run plan but--barring pleasant surprises--it will be a grind next season.

I'm already interested in Jim Fox's color commentary for next season.

EDIT- Well, Lucic at $4.25MM would of been the best plan haha. No way that would of been feasible though. Good try though going out 8 years to keep the cap way down.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
With Kopitar/Quick/Doughty/Carter/Toffoli/Muzzin/Pearson, playing like they did last year. The Kings will be in the playoffs again.

The team would have to get decimated by injuries or Kopitar/Doughty/Quick fall off a cliff, to not score above 92-95 points.

This year is more competitive. Vancouver is better (although I dont see them making the playoffs). Edmonton is significantly better and they were good last year also until McDavid got injured. Also, if they end up getting Barrie, they will challenge for a top 3 spot. Coyotes may be a surprise with their talented kids having a year of experience under their belts. Sharks and Ducks will be good as always. Also, with how deep the Central is, I don't see us getting a wild card spot.

In sum, we got worse without Lucic and VL, and other teams got better. Playoffs may not be possible this year.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I think Lucic would have taken 8 years. I don't think Lombardi offered that.

I guess Lucic really want's that cap hit higher.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
Per source, Kings' last offer to Lucic was 8-years, $34M... which is $4.25M AAV. He now makes $8M more over 1 less year in Edmonton.
2:33 PM - 1 Jul 2016

:laugh: damn DL shooting for that bargain

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m1 minute ago
Chiarelli also said Lucic was offered a longer term... which means the Kings offered him an 8-year contract to stay.
just because he was offered a longer term doesnt mean it came from the Kings. the Habs were also heavily interested in Looch and supposedly had a great offer on the table. I dont trust this one bit

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
just because he was offered a longer term doesnt mean it came from the Kings. the Habs were also heavily interested in Looch and supposedly had a great offer on the table. I dont trust this one bit

Only the Kings could offer 8 years.

Theav8tr

Jun 19, 2008
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m1 minute ago
Chiarelli also said Lucic was offered a longer term... which means the Kings offered him an 8-year contract to stay.

Maybe a team was willing to trade for his rights in the negotiating window....assuming a team can then offer max term of 8 yrs under those circumstances. Hard to believe DL would even consider 8 yrs at any $

Seeing the 4th period info above....Just WOW if true!

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
This year is more competitive. Vancouver is better (although I dont see them making the playoffs). Edmonton is significantly better and they were good last year also until McDavid got injured. Also, if they end up getting Barrie, they will challenge for a top 3 spot. Coyotes may be a surprise with their talented kids having a year of experience under their belts. Sharks and Ducks will be good as always. Also, with how deep the Central is, I don't see us getting a wild card spot.

In sum, we got worse without Lucic and VL, and other teams got better. Playoffs may not be possible this year.

We have been waiting a decade for EDM to do something other than fail.

I'll believe it when I see it. Calgary needs a goalie that can actually stop pucks, and not give up 5GA a game.

PHX....Yeah

Vancouver... Are you serious ?

SJ/Ducks will be fighting with the Kings for three playoff spots once again.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

The Kings are the only team who could've offered a longer term. That's the one advantage a team has when it comes to re-signing a player, they can re-sign their own at 8 years, whereas other teams submitting offers can only offer a max term of 7 years.

So either Chiarelli is full of **** or Dean offered a max term at a lower rate.

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California

Thank you.

The sky isn't falling. The Kings will be a worse team next year, but our core is still very solid which many teams wish they had. Toffoli and Pearson should only get better.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
The Kings are the only team who could've offered a longer term. That's the one advantage a team has when it comes to re-signing a player, they can re-sign their own at 8 years, whereas other teams submitting offers can only offer a max term of 7 years.

true I didnt even think of that. doh. kinda scares me though. Lucic for 8 years? thats Brown 2.0 even at a lower aav

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

I doubt Lombardi offered 8 years.

John Rosen speculated himself that Term was the hangup(for Lucic's camp), not Salary.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Thank you.

The sky isn't falling. The Kings will be a worse team next year, but our core is still very solid which many teams wish they had. Toffoli and Pearson should only get better.

The Kings benefited greatly from 3 on 3 OT wins last year that cannot be counted on IMO. Combine that with being a worse team (like you said) and you have a borderline playoff team

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Possibly but that won't be easy. They didn't improve (as of yet) and the competition in the division around them did. Calgary, Oilers are Yotes will be better. Kings had far too many hollow points last year, low scoring games tied in the 3rd that they won with a last push or tied and went to OT. 24 from OT wins alone.
That should be the exception , not the rule . Good teams, contending teams need to be consistent, take a 3-1 lead into the 3rd and lock it down. they haven't been able to do that for over 2 years now. It's the reason they have 1 playoff win in 2 post seasons. The competition around them , in some cases, got faster and deeper, they didn't.
Hockey tends to be cyclical, and their cycle is down right now. But they will build thru the draft again, maybe find some young players from college or Europe and begin the cycle again.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Edmonton is by no means an elite team all of a sudden, but a healthy McDavid can have them threatening for a spot.

Kings can't afford a 4 week+ injury to one of 11-8-32 or playoffs will be tough. Not expecting a 2015 division fluke job again but I expect the division to not be as bad as it was last year, either.

Edmonton is looking pretty good right now.

Added Lucic, Larsson and Puljujarvi. Puljujarvi may end up being better than Laine and Matthews. Of course, they dealt Hall.

But McDavid and Draisatl are just getting going. Adding Sekera and Larsson in 2 years bodes well to give them their best D core in years.
Darnell Nurse is not bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad