2016 Flyers Prospect Development Camp Schedule & Roster

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I fully expect that Sanheim will have to learn that less, is more. He does not have to be "the" guy on every play in order to create chances.

Playing on a good AHL team should really help with that.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Good news, guys. You can get excited about Lindblom now. He was hesitant on him until now, but this 3 days of doing drills in July really changed his mind. Apparently success in 2 consecutive WJC's, 2 years in the SHL, and 7 points in 8 AHL games wasn't enough. But these 3 days of drills really changes it because he was better at doing drills than last July. :rant:
10/10 post. This needs to be quoted any time someone makes inane judgments about "steals" and "sleepers" based on development camp. I've seen so many posts talking about the NHL readiness of players based on what they saw at camp, and it makes me want to rip my hair out. :laugh:

It's like going to a Flyers practice in October, seeing Laughton skate really fast and shoot pretty well... and then leave camp and post a report on how Scott Laughton is poised to have a great season because he was able to go around the pylons really well with the puck. Who the **** would do that? Only reason development camp matters to some fans is because it comes in the absolutely dreadful days of the summer where information is scarce.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
That's true I guess. I used to go to quite a few, some guys do stick out. Gagne certainly did. Hands are hands, speed is speed.

Parent really didn't impress. I'm always weary of guys who try to slow the play down, be smooth and not make a good play. As a goalie, it drives you nuts.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
He is, its his opinion, take it for what you want. He only has so much time watching Lindblom.

A comment like this really makes me scale back the value I have in his opinion though:

I've always been a bit hesitant to get excited about Lindblom, and much of that hesitation has been driven by my evaluation of his performances in his first two development camps. Both in 2014 and 2015, Lindblom's skillset didn't stand out to me in any way -- he truly looked the part of "just a guy." I've long assumed that his strengths must be in game situations, where he can take advantage of his high-end hockey IQ to be an ideal support player on a line.

Like, how can one seriously make comments like these based on development camp? There's a reason why players like Scott Hartnell or Patric Hornqvist can put up 60+ points in the NHL while guys like Cody Hodgson and Nail Yakupov can hardly keep up. Which players would look better at development camp?

One's level of excitement regarding a prospect should not be impacted by this meet and greet. It's possible for fantastic players to not stand out... and it's possible for flat out terrible players to look like future superstars.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Also went today. Got there late, tourney ended well before 5, so I only saw a couple games.

I agree with the previous poster that Sanheim didn't wow. Konecny was ok but looked like him and Martel were taking turns trying to carry their team. Although he best player on their team IMO was a camp invite named McFadden. He looked very good in the two games I saw.

Tomek was bad. Sandstorm was great in the first game I saw, lost in championship game behind maybe the least talented roster (led by Bardreau and Allison). Lyon was really good in the championship game. Hart and Madsen were ok in the blips I saw

I agree Kase was silky smooth and very impressive. I don't know if it'll translate to the pro level, but wherever he peaks, he will bring skill.

Lindblom pulled off this stupefying Kenny Wu deke, splitting two D with a tight spin move within 15ft of the net. He did not score though #bust.....no shot he can pull that off at the pro level. But my jaw hit the floor either way

Fazleev had a lot of snarl and willingness to get to the dirty areas. He rumbled with Bardreau a lot in the final game. I think hey both knew they'd be competing for minutes in LhV.

Finally, Provorov was just a pleasure to watch. He has that ability that Pronger had to get the puck and slow the game down to where the team can succeed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So we got Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Bellemare, Gostisbehere, Gudas, Streit, & Neuvirth that will be out of the preseason with the World Cup going on. So from a fan perspective this preseason should be a little more fun IMO. Some other unknown guys will get some longer looks.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
A comment like this really makes me scale back the value I have in his opinion though:

Like, how can one seriously make comments like these based on development camp? There's a reason why players like Scott Hartnell or Patric Hornqvist can put up 60+ points in the NHL while guys like Cody Hodgson and Nail Yakupov can hardly keep up. Which players would look better at development camp?

One's level of excitement regarding a prospect should not be impacted by this meet and greet. It's possible for fantastic players to not stand out... and it's possible for flat out terrible players to look like future superstars.

Ok, I'll play the devils advocate.

Provorov and Konecny show brillances during these camps and everybody calls them elite prospects with the skills to be a superstar.

Lindblomd does not show brilliances at these camps, but yet we are still expect him to be elite prospect?

How often does superstars not show flashes of these skills?

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Ok, I'll play the devils advocate.

Provorov and Konecny show brillances during these camps and everybody calls them elite prospects with the skills to be a superstar.

Lindblomd does not show brilliances at these camps, but yet we are still expect him to be elite prospect?

How often does superstars not show flashes of these skills?

Lindblom doesn't have a skill set that lends itself to standing out in this type of setting. He doesn't have blazing speed, his hands aren't amazing, he's not really a sniper, his vision isn't outstanding. But he's really smart and savvy and finds soft areas of the ice to score goals. Those positive attributes are not on display when skating around doing mini games and drills at development camp. Josh Ho-Sang, however, looks like a phenom every July at development camp.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Lindblom has built up enough of a case these last two years that he could potentially be a top six complimentary winger someday. Whether he looks good or not in skill events doesn't really change that. His skill set is going to often be more appreciated during game situations than in these camps. A good amount of his value on the ice is that he fights for room out on the ice with his body whether he has the puck or not. There's not many drills that are going to highlight that part of ones game in these camps.

I remember back in the day Primeau made the All-Star game. They were interviewing him during the skills competition & they were asking what event he was participating in & how he feels entering it. He said something to the effect of wishing they had a dump & chase competition for him instead. :laugh:

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Think you're all overreacting to the comments on Lindblom.
Lindblom improved his skating, which has become noticeable, he's not going to stand out in this environment, but what you're really looking for is not the guy with the best skill set, but how visible skills have or haven't improved over the years.

So with Lindblom you look at skating, his biggest weakness.
With Sanheim whether he's bulked and has it effected his mobility.
And so on.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I enjoyed the BSH article on dev camp.

I've gone the last two years. I haven't read anyone acting like camp observations are gospel -- pretty much everyone concedes, "This is just a prospect camp; take the observations with a grain of salt."

But you can notice things.

And Lindblom, though not fast, has certainly improved his skating to the point where you don't even notice it as a plus or minus, but you notice his frame and you notice his shot.

The very best players, like Provorov and Konecny, just jump out as oozing skill and talent.

And you can see unheralded sleepers like Friedman who flash skills that are very exciting for a player you don't hear much about.

Nobody is saying that drill performances are the best way to forecast future NHL success. But they aren't utterly meaningless, and in the dog days of summer, I'll take any reports I can get.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I fully expect that Sanheim will have to learn that less, is more. He does not have to be "the" guy on every play in order to create chances.

Playing on a good AHL team should really help with that.

He's too used to having to do it all by himself in Calgary. If it wasn't him, Bean or Fazleev not much got done.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Making what? The NHL at all?
He's not like ghost where he pushes the play and reads and reacts to everything. Sanheim has the tools but plays a forward thinking game which won't translate to nhl I don't think. Provy plays the whl players like he will in the nhl with solid rock d with nice outlet passes. Sanheim thinks hes a forwards and that won't work in the nhl but that's what makes him standout in the dub.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
He's not like ghost where he pushes the play and reads and reacts to everything. Sanheim has the tools but plays a forward thinking game which won't translate to nhl I don't think. Provy plays the whl players like he will in the nhl with solid rock d with nice outlet passes. Sanheim thinks hes a forwards and that won't work in the nhl but that's what makes him standout in the dub.

MzGBT.gif

54fightin

Feb 15, 2003
Chester County PA
Visit site

I think Sanheim will be the best NHL player of our defensive prospects. When he fills out and adds some more muscle he will be a great player. That is not to take anything away from Provorov, Morin or any others. I just feel that Sanheim has the best overall skill set. But what I like best about the d prospects is that they all bring something a little different to the game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Sanheim has the height and he's definitely put on the weight to be more effective in the NHL. He hasn't lost the stride or the speed since gaining the weight as well. His offensive instincts are best out of any of our D prospects (Ghost isn't a prospect anymore), and while his D-game can be inconsistent, he's still definitely young and can still improve (as with what happened with Ghost). He has the build and offensive mind-set to work well in the NHL. He's a smart kid and a skilled one at that. Give him a full year in the AHL and see him put up some nice points there. If you feel his type of game won't translate to the NHL, then we might as well not have anymore offensive D-men in the league.

Hatcher, I guess with your logic, players like Karlsson and Klingberg don't work in the NHL.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Sanheim definitely needs the Ghost route and learn more on the defensive side of things from what I understand. He will learn that in the AHL. Ghost was 23 and played several years of college and a little bit in the AHL before he came up to by the dyno he was.

Sanheim can move just as well and is a bigger version. I have tons of hope for the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad