2016 Flyers Prospect Development Camp Schedule & Roster

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Good news, guys. You can get excited about Lindblom now. He was hesitant on him until now, but this 3 days of doing drills in July really changed his mind. Apparently success in 2 consecutive WJC's, 2 years in the SHL, and 7 points in 8 AHL games wasn't enough. But these 3 days of drills really changes it because he was better at doing drills than last July. :rant:

Lol...

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Good news, guys. You can get excited about Lindblom now. He was hesitant on him until now, but this 3 days of doing drills in July really changed his mind. Apparently success in 2 consecutive WJC's, 2 years in the SHL, and 7 points in 8 AHL games wasn't enough. But these 3 days of drills really changes it because he was better at doing drills than last July. :rant:

BSH really annoys me.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah, raw skills, doing practice drills in July.

I think raw skills -- as in shooting, skating, stickhandling -- are about the only things that drills provide in terms of information. How a player can utilize those raw skills in game action changes things (and that's really the most important part), but the skills themselves evidence well in practice. Whether he picked up on them in previous camps is another story. He actually admits that.

Regardless, I don't think even the biggest Lindblom fans (and I'm a big fan) view him as someone who is the "oozing with skill" type -- though he can surprise. He probably is the type where skill drills don't always give his abilities justice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Regardless, I don't think even the biggest Lindblom fans (and I'm a big fan) view him as someone who is the "oozing with skill" type. He probably is the type where skill drills don't always give his abilities justice.

It's all relative to the player's development.

No one expects Lindblom to blaze down the ice like Konecny, but it's good to see his hard work improving his skating has paid off. If he can skate like Simmonds, he'll have a long NHL career.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
This is our logic, this is not Hextall's. Hextall clearly stated that a player has to win a spot. He's not giving a player a spot on the Flyers to develop. Konecny needs to be better than another forward. He doesn't believe in the sending them back will cause issues in development. We need to stop looking that Konecny or Provorov doesn't have anything to prove in the juniors. Hextall really doesn't care about that. He cares about putting the best 12 forwards and 6 dmen on the ice and if they can't win those jobs, they are going back.

Oh we agree here. But I have no problem saying Travis is and will be better than another forward. He can take Read's spot right now for starters.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
He also doesn't want to cut a veteran, then have Konecny get banged up and miss 30 games and have to scramble to replace him. While injuries are always a problem, dings are more common, along with hitting the wall, for young players who haven't physically matured.

If a guy gets injured in the AHL, it doesn't affect the big team. Which is why he can start Morin, Hagg and Sanheim there, and if their play gets them promoted, sit the veteran. If they falter, send them back down and plug the veteran back in. You don't have that flexibility with junior eligible players, so you want to be sure they're ready to start.

My man why all the doom and gloom? Every post you have seem to have left him for dead. Only kidding....but really a question for you. Who is the better player right now, Pavel Zacha or Travis Konecny?

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Drake was the only one that looked terrible. Aube Kubel and Provorov looked pretty good out there. Everyone else was....eh

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Just got back from the 3 on 3 tournament... my thoughts:

With the preface that the orange team never made it to my end of the ice so I never got a good look at Provorov, Fazleev, and a few others...

Cole Bardreau looked really good. The guy is quick and can shoot the puck.

The biggest surprise guy that stood out to me was Tanner Layszcinski (sp). Seemed quick and just made good decisions consistently.

Sanheim looked awful IMO. I expected a lot more out of him. I know he's still raw and learning, but he didn't seem particularly quick at all. He did bat one out of mid air into the net which was pretty cool, but he seemed to miss a lot of opportunities to make plays. I know he's good at puck possession, but he seemed to have a lot of chances to hit a guy with a pass or rip the puck and he just held onto the puck instead, sometimes losing it shortly thereafter. He had someone in the slot wide open for a one timer and passed it probably 5 feet behind him... left the guy just shaking his head (didn't catch who was on the other end of the missed passes). I'm certainly not taking too much from one 3 on 3 tournament as he obviously had a great season in the WHL and this was about an hour and a half of ice team in a 3 on 3 environment, but I just thought he looked bad.

Konecny looked good in the beginning. When I first got there he wiffed on a tough one timer and then the puck came right back around to him and he connected big time rifling one under the bar. After that he seemed to completely wear out. Frankly, it seemed like he just stayed on the ice way too long... not too surprising since he seems uber competitive.

Kase might be the smoothest guy out there.... and I mean that with everything - skating, stickhandling, passing, shooting, the whole deal. I definitely have concerns with his size and how well he holds up in a more physical environment as nobody was exactly getting drilled, but I see why a lot of people pegged him as a late round steal.

If Tomek is still at the rink, I wonder if he has stopped a puck yet, because it sure didn't happen when I was watching...

Madsen looked pretty good.

Hart is just constantly in the right position. The one time he got beat was a nice move where he probably should have got a little more help from his defensemen.

Sandstrom looked solid, nothing special, but good.

The best two goalie performances that I saw were between Madsen and Hart. I don't think I saw Lyon once as he seemed to be down the far end the whole time.

That's just what stood out to me. Take it for what it's worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad