Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Are you guys forgetting the Thomas Hickey draft?

Yes, that's right. 4th! And he was slated to be no better than 20th overall at BEST. So LA gambled on him. There is no one on the draft ranking that says they are a definite #1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Sometimes it's all about taking a gamble and hoping for the best.

http://thehockeywriters.com/worst-nhl-first-round-draft-picks-of-the-2000s/

Yep, and sometimes that works out just fine - Wheeler (although with a different team), Ekman-Larsson, Scheifele, etc.

And all credit to Hickey, who seems to have turned himself into an NHLer after all.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I really hope Chia does this too. If they want Brown anyway, get a 3rd from us for the swap.

I think the Oilers would be all over that, but I think it also depends on how worried Columbus would be about losing Brown to Vancouver. They might feel they could get down to 6 or 7 and still get him.

Although if I'm the GM, and there's a guy I really want, I think I'd just take him instead of messing around and trying to grab him 3 picks later. It shouldn't matter how it looks to the fans.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Big centres are always coveted on draft day. Only a fews years ago Barkov was projected to go 4th and Florida took him before Seth Jones and Drouin at #2.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
I still strongly believe they are exploring trading town to 7-9 and getting a close to ready young dman or forward. I do not think it will be for second round picks. We could use more close to making the jump young guys as we will me moving players to get what we want. We will then select a d man at that mark or the best available forward if one slips.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm fine with waiting as well to see what CBJ does. Maybe have a few deals lined up but hold our water until we know what they do at #3.

If right handed shot Pulju is sitting there at #4, that is such an easy decision for us. Run to the stage and draft 97s Kurri :)

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I really hope Chia does this too. If they want Brown anyway, get a 3rd from us for the swap.

Definitely on board with the idea and do it soon. Not because I wanna start making Pool Party jerseys, but because I think 3rd OV garners more than 4th towards our dream RHD.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wonder what CBJ would be asking for to swap a single spot. Depending on the price, I'm 100% open to listening.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I wonder what CBJ would be asking for to swap a single spot. Depending on the price, I'm 100% open to listening.

Yup. As long as it's not anyone in our top-six, have at 'er. We must get that right winger. To give us PP options, to avoid the carousel of garbage playing with Hall/Draisaitl, to put even the lightest bit of pressure on Eberle to improve his game, to bench Eberle when he disappears.

Maybe Nylander is a target if we can't make any moves.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
Question guys, if Columbus decides to draft Logan Brown with the 3rd Overall pick and Jesse Puljujarvi falls to us and we couldn't find anyone who would trade us a Top 2 dman for the pick, would you take Jesse Puljujarvi or Matthew Tkachuk? I personally would take Jesse Puljujarvi just because he is a bit bigger and would fill our RW for Eberle and/or Yakupov. What'd you say?

Love Tkachuk watched him play all season long (knights season ticket holder) but if Puljujarvi is there Chia runs to the podium and take the Fin. Big sized RW that we are lacking. I see Marian Hossa as a nice player comp. Has offensive flair and really defensive responsible player. Just what the doctor ordered :yo:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If we get Pulju I couldn't care less if Tkachuk falls to them personally. Just wanna see Pulju in orange and blue so bad.

Same.

Pulju is the only player at the top of the draft realistically available to us that I wouldn't trade out from unless an offer we can't refuse came up. If he's gone, I'd be good with Tkachuk or Dubois, but would rather see the pick moved for a RHD.

97s future RW would be a no brainer if he's available. It would be a sprint to the stage. I'm curious how this next bit will play itself out.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I can't see Chia trading up he is more then happy with picking 4. Even if Canucks or Flames make a swap with Jackets the least he comes away from in this draft is Pld Tkachuk or Pul I am sure he will be content with any of those names.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Puljujarvi by a country mile, by TWO country miles

big? check... decent scoring touch? check.... RHS? check

i dream of the chance to draft him, i seriously doubt that columbus is going "off board" though with their pick... that would be a crazy reach to take brown 3rd overall

Corrected, Puljujarvi by 3.2 country kilometres.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
To me the message from Stauffer is this:

They have deals lined up to improve the defense without using the #4. Good bye 6 million dollar man.

To me, if true, this is the smartest asset management by Chia. We get the cheap, expansion draft-exempt forward for 3 years and free up $ for others, get bigger upfront, and upgrade our defense. Where do I sign? Can't wait to see this all play out...

it's going to be a long 2 weeks isn't it? :cry:

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The best part of the cbj's possibly passing on pulji is that it increases the value of our pick. Someone might step up to the table and take a chance at getting the fin before the draft. It is like a lottery ticket the day before a draw.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The best part of the cbj's possibly passing on pulji is that it increases the value of our pick. Someone might step up to the table and take a chance at getting the fin before the draft. It is like a lottery ticket the day before a draw.

They'll wait until the 3rd pick is made. I'm sure the Oilers would have some offers on the table from teams before the draft geared at the scenario of Puljujarvi falling to 3.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah I would like to hang on to #4 until I see what CBJ does. If they like their Centre, they should just take him. We'll see how it goes though.

Have a few deals worked out in the event things go as planned and they take Pulju at #3. But, if he's available at #4 it would take one hell of an offer featuring a RHD to make me move it. I think drafting Pulju would be among the easiest decisions Chia would have to make.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree... it's nice that we really have no solid idea what the Oilers will do with their #4 pick... makes it more fun to speculate and it'll be more interesting to see what they actually do with that pick on draft day.

Personally I'm ok with the Oilers using the pick at #4... or trading down... or even trading it outright if the return is solid.

As far as who to pick at #4 if they use it... I'm ok with a range of choices but I'd personally lean towards McAvoy, Brown, Tkachuk or Sergachev... I also think Thompson is a very underrated pick.

If I had to choose... I'd trade down and get two later 1sts if possible as I think there are some solid picks that will fall... of course that's unless a very good NHL player can come back in return for that #4 pick. The return could be potentially increased if that #4 pick is bundled with another good asset from the Oilers (like one of the "$6 million dollar men").

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The problem with the Oilers moving up is that the player Columbus would want (a C) is going to be available around 6 or 7 at least. So it makes more sense for them to move back a bit further and get more than what the Oilers would give up.

Like....

What would the Blue Jackets rather do. Trade back one spot and get a 3rd rounder. Or move back 4 spots and add a late first? They still end up with the guy they want. They just get much more for the move.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The problem with the Oilers moving up is that the player Columbus would want (a C) is going to be available around 6 or 7 at least. So it makes more sense for them to move back a bit further and get more than what the Oilers would give up.

Like....

What would the Blue Jackets rather do. Trade back one spot and get a 3rd rounder. Or move back 4 spots and add a late first? They still end up with the guy they want. They just get much more for the move.

Yeah I have no interest in offering something massive to move up 1 spot. Either CBJ just takes their Centre that they want at #3, draft Pulju, or trade the pick it doesn't matter.

I'm not interested in moving massive parts to move up one spot. Our offer can be lower because of the risk mitigation factor. CBJ guarantees they get the guy they want at #4, all risk removed. We're a wildcard at #4 because we could just as easily move the pick to a team that drafts the guy they want as we could use it ourselves. It's a gamble they would have to take, not us.

Most I would do is add #32 or maybe Yak if it was necessary to close the deal. Pulju being a right shot for me adds a lot of value, but not enough to move parts that we should be using to trade for D.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Puljujärvi is the clear #3 in this draft. The only way to acquire him is by a trade. So if Columbus isn't interested, they'll just move down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad