Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Question guys, if Columbus decides to draft Logan Brown with the 3rd Overall pick and Jesse Puljujarvi falls to us and we couldn't find anyone who would trade us a Top 2 dman for the pick, would you take Jesse Puljujarvi or Matthew Tkachuk? I personally would take Jesse Puljujarvi just because he is a bit bigger and would fill our RW for Eberle and/or Yakupov. What'd you say?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Question guys, if Columbus decides to draft Logan Brown with the 3rd Overall pick and Jesse Puljujarvi falls to us and we couldn't find anyone who would trade us a Top 2 dman for the pick, would you take Jesse Puljujarvi or Matthew Tkachuk? I personally would take Jesse Puljujarvi just because he is a bit bigger and would fill our RW for Eberle and/or Yakupov. What'd you say?

Puljujarvi by a country mile, by TWO country miles

big? check... decent scoring touch? check.... RHS? check

i dream of the chance to draft him, i seriously doubt that columbus is going "off board" though with their pick... that would be a crazy reach to take brown 3rd overall

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Puljujarvi by a country mile, by TWO country miles

big? check... decent scoring touch? check.... RHS? check

i dream of the chance to draft him, i seriously doubt that columbus is going "off board" though with their pick... that would be a crazy reach to take brown 3rd overall

Not as far fetched as it seems. Brown has been moving up the draft chart and could make a surprise at a high pick. Plus those kinds of picks have happened in the past as someone posted earlier. So crazier things have happened.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Puljujarvi. For all the reasons you listed.

That one-timer would look great on the PP across the ice from McDavid

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If Puljujarvi falls to #4 you draft him. No question about that.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

No way Columbus is taking Logan Brown with the 3rd pick. If anything, they will trade down and still get Logan Brown. That also means the team picking 3rd traded up to get Puljujarvi.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Puljujarvi falls to #4 you draft him. No question about that.

You sprint to the stage to take him.

I'm happy with Dubois or Tkachuk at #4, I prefer Dubois but would be perfectly happy with Tkachuk as well. But, if Pulju is available at #4 that's the easiest decision Chia will have to make outside of drafting McDavid.

I still would rather move the pick for D who can help right now. Not interested in giving the pick away though especially with expansion draft protection adding value to the asset

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If Puljujarvi is there at 4 I imagine we'll see Chia do the Carleton dance up to the stage.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
No way Columbus is taking Logan Brown with the 3rd pick. If anything, they will trade down and still get Logan Brown. That also means the team picking 3rd traded up to get Puljujarvi.

But trading down doesn't guarantee Brown so if they see him as top 5 they might just draft him

Only trade they could do is with us, Vancover or Calgary and he latter means they have to bet we or van dont pick and im not so sure thats out of the range of possibilities

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Puljujarvi is there at 4 I imagine we'll see Chia do the Carleton dance up to the stage.

Would be hilarious if Pulju falls to the #4 pick and Chia announces it as, with the 1st overall pick Oilers are proud to select Jesse Puljujarvi

But trading down doesn't guarantee Brown so if they see him as top 5 they might just draft him

Only trade they could do is with us, Vancover or Calgary and he latter means they have to bet we or van dont pick and im not so sure thats out of the range of possibilities

There's a very good chance Tkachuk, DuBois, Sergachev and Chychrun all go before Logan Brown

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Yea could definitely see them taking him. Although doesn't make alot of sense when you consider he's most likely to turn out like a Couturier/Staal type centerman. I think Columbus might be looking at a dman. How good could a Sergachev-Jones pairing be in 3 years?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I've said it before but if the Jacket aren't entirely sold on Pulju I hope Chia offers them something to swap picks. Don't let Cgy or Van jump us and snipe him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You gotta think that either Tkachuk goes back to juniors or Pouliot is traded if he makes the club.

Hall
Tkachuk
Pouliot
Maroon
Hendricks

Something would have to give there.

Tkachuk would absolutely need another year in junior, he himself admits that.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
Yea could definitely see them taking him. Although doesn't make alot of sense when you consider he's most likely to turn out like a Couturier/Staal type centerman. I think Columbus might be looking at a dman. How good could a Sergachev-Jones pairing be in 3 years?

about as good as Werenski - Jones?

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Would be hilarious if Pulju falls to the #4 pick and Chia announces it as, with the 1st overall pick Oilers are proud to select Jesse Puljujarvi

There's a very good chance Tkachuk, DuBois, Sergachev and Chychrun all go before Logan Brown

Oh i fully agree that he shouldn't go until later but if they think he's top 5 and they feel others may value him you have to gamble.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
about as good as Werenski - Jones?

A Werenski-Savard 2nd pairing would be pretty damn good. That's how you build a good team. Davidson knows that and I'm sure he's at least weighing the option. I'm pretty sure it was Davidson who brought in Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo to St. Louis.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Are you guys forgetting the Thomas Hickey draft?

The Los Angeles Kings surprised everyone when they drafted Thomas Hickey fourth overall in 2007. Pegged to be a mid-to-late first round pick, Hickey turned into a bust over the years, having yet to play in the NHL. After a successful career, Hickey has played for the Manchester Monarchs of the AHL for the past few seasons, never recording more than 26 points in a single campaign.

Yes, that's right. 4th! And he was slated to be no better than 20th overall at BEST. So LA gambled on him. There is no one on the draft ranking that says they are a definite #1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Sometimes it's all about taking a gamble and hoping for the best.

http://thehockeywriters.com/worst-nhl-first-round-draft-picks-of-the-2000s/

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A Werenski-Savard 2nd pairing would be pretty damn good. That's how you build a good team. Davidson knows that and I'm sure he's at least weighing the option. I'm pretty sure it was Davidson who brought in Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo to St. Louis.

Werenski-Jones
Murray-Savard

Their future D is covered. They need a center with #1C potential.

For them at #3, BPA is Pulju. Best fit is Dubois

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
I don't think anyone knows what they're going to do. Sometimes we make assumptions that fit our preconceptions. Just because oilers management attended the memorial cup doesn't mean much. You could argue there was no excuse for them not to since it was practically in our backyard. Concerns about Tkachuk's skating are legitimate. Concerns about his point totals being inflated by playing with skilled players are legitimate. It's happened before.

and Tkachuk's skating is a concern (although Draisaitl -- perhaps uniquely however -- made such improvements in this regard in terms of the desire to draft Bennett over Drai), and with Pittsburgh's speed dominating San Jose in the finals, I wonder whether the balance between speed and size has slightly shifted in favor of the former.
yes, of course, Pittsburgh plays in the Eastern conference, and the Pacific Division and the Western Conference is a bit of a different kettle of fish.

the Oilers are so relatively strong at the LW position, Dubois' advantage is that he's versatile enough to play C or LW, and has apparently played or can play RW too, which is more of an Oiler weakness. And a versatile forward allows for more options in terms of trading away a player (for instance C or RW) in order to get a top pairing or top 4 RD commodity that is so necessary for this team in order to start making some progress to becoming a playoff and competitive hockey team

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
Are you guys forgetting the Thomas Hickey draft?

Yes, that's right. 4th! And he was slated to be no better than 20th overall at BEST. So LA gambled on him. There is no one on the draft ranking that says they are a definite #1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Sometimes it's all about taking a gamble and hoping for the best.

http://thehockeywriters.com/worst-nhl-first-round-draft-picks-of-the-2000s/

sure Hickey went #4 in 2007 (and was the consensus opinion at the time was that it was a gamble, ie mistake), so that's such a huge, huge anomaly that it's best considered to be a mistake and a reason why it won't happen again.

Almost all the d-men picked in draft years since then have pretty much gone in terms of form. 2008 Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo; 2009 Hedman Ekman-Larsson, Cowen, Ellis; 2010 Gudbranson (but then Fowler and Gormley slipped behind McIllrath-- shame on the Rangers, everybody said so at the time); 2011 Larsson, Hamilton, Brodin, Siemans; 2012 R. Murray, then a whole string of d-men with #4 thru #9 and the hick-up being #4 Reinhart-- ("skating is everything" and don't get too focused on the "toy" on the closest shelf); 2013 Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen; 2014 only Fleury was a top 10 guy; and 2015 Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski. Not a lot of controversy in the order of these top 10 d-men picks in the last 9 entry drafts.

if one caveat may be mentioned in terms of Oiler's drafting of d-men, it is that they haven't selected enough d-men playing outside the CHL, that is Euro/ International/ American guys. They perhaps haven't valued the Euro/ International/ American player as highly as they might have. Klefblom was, if he gets healthy again, a good pick up. But, most of the cream players in terms of d-men have a stint playing in the CHL. Things are changing a bit in this regard with Hanifin and Werenski in 2015, Ristolainen in 2014, and maybe perhaps McAvoy is a good mid 1sr round pick this year.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I've said it before but if the Jacket aren't entirely sold on Pulju I hope Chia offers them something to swap picks. Don't let Cgy or Van jump us and snipe him.

I really hope Chia does this too. If they want Brown anyway, get a 3rd from us for the swap.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
sure Hickey went #4 in 2007 (and was the consensus opinion at the time was that it was a gamble, ie mistake), so that's such a huge, huge anomaly that it's best considered to be a mistake and a reason why it won't happen again.

Almost all the d-men picked in draft years since then have pretty much gone in terms of form. 2008 Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo; 2009 Hedman Ekman-Larsson, Cowen, Ellis; 2010 Gudbranson (but then Fowler and Gormley slipped behind McIllrath-- shame on the Rangers, everybody said so at the time); 2011 Larsson, Hamilton, Brodin, Siemans; 2012 R. Murray, then a whole string of d-men with #4 thru #9 and the hick-up being #4 Reinhart-- ("skating is everything" and don't get too focused on the "toy" on the closest shelf); 2013 Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen; 2014 only Fleury was a top 10 guy; and 2015 Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski. Not a lot of controversy in the order of these top 10 d-men picks in the last 9 entry drafts.

if one caveat may be mentioned in terms of Oiler's drafting of d-men, it is that they haven't selected enough d-men playing outside the CHL, that is Euro/ International/ American guys. They perhaps haven't valued the Euro/ International/ American player as highly as they might have. Klefblom was, if he gets healthy again, a good pick up. But, most of the cream players in terms of d-men have a stint playing in the CHL. Things are changing a bit in this regard with Hanifin and Werenski in 2015, Ristolainen in 2014, and maybe perhaps McAvoy is a good mid 1sr round pick this year.

I was pointing more towards the fact Logan Brown could be selected 3rd Overall over Puljujarvi and it's not a crazy story for Puljujarvi to be overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad