Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

So does that mean that we keep the pick, or do we move it straight up or as part of a package for a defenseman? And if it's not in play at all that means that we already have a deal or two lined up where 1 or more of Hall, RNH and Eberle are heading the other way?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I think Stauffer's point is relevant for both moving down and trading the pick. Doesn't mean it wont happen though.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think Stauffer's point is relevant for both moving down and trading the pick. Doesn't mean it wont happen though.

A guy like Tkachuk brings things to the table that none of our other top 6 guys do so I could see him being held in a higher regard as a long term piece here than at least one of the $6 million guys. Then you have guys like Dubois and Brown who also bring size and skill to the table.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
By all means keep the pick, Chia still has to sig upgrade other areas of the team, they keep the pick and that means one of the other 'core' guys should be gone.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
A guy like Tkachuk brings things to the table that none of our other top 6 guys do so I could see him being held in a higher regard as a long term piece here than at least one of the $6 million guys. Then you have guys like Dubois and Brown who also bring size and skill to the table.

Tkachuk plays a game very similar to Ryan Smyth. Could easily see him coming in here and becoming a fan favourite.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Dubois simply looks too good to pass on, if we retain the pick. Big skilled, drives offense, net presence, defensively aware, can play C or wing. Protected from an expansion draft is also huge. What's not to like.

Sergachyov looks great too but I don't think the Oilers are willing to risk moving down past the 7 pick as all of their likely coveted Dubois, Tkachuk and Serg could be gone by then.

I also believe Colorado would love to move up for a shot at Dubois, might Col offer Barrie and #10 for #4 +? That is still the framework of a deal I could see happening... Or straight across for Faulk...

15 more days...

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Dubois simply looks too good to pass on, if we retain the pick. Big skilled, drives offense, net presence, defensively aware, can play C or wing. Protected from an expansion draft is also huge. What's not to like.

Best guess is that it's going to be Tkachuk.

TheMustardTiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
May 4, 2016
Best guess is that it's going to be Tkachuk.

I am starting to wonder with all the media hype around Tkachuk if when it's the Oilers turn to go to the podium that he is off the board and we could be able to select Pulijarvi. :amazed:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
You gotta think that either Tkachuk goes back to juniors or Pouliot is traded if he makes the club.

Hall
Tkachuk
Pouliot
Maroon
Hendricks

Something would have to give there.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
high skilled players on low cost contracts. can rarely be obtained outside the draft. take the high level player because people aren't giving them up. fix the team by moving other assets.

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
I am starting to wonder with all the media hype around Tkachuk if when it's the Oilers turn to go to the podium that he is off the board and we could be able to select Pulijarvi. :amazed:

Stauffer has made that seem like it is at least possible. Columbus is bringing Tkachuk in for a visit, and he's talked about how much teams like Buffalo and Calgary want to trade up for Tkachuk.

I'd love Pulijarvi, party because the Oil are so, so light on the right side.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I don't think anyone knows what they're going to do. Sometimes we make assumptions that fit our preconceptions. Just because oilers management attended the memorial cup doesn't mean much. You could argue there was no excuse for them not to since it was practically in our backyard. Concerns about Tkachuk's skating are legitimate. Concerns about his point totals being inflated by playing with skilled players are legitimate. It's happened before.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
A scenario that I could see happening is a deal that involves the Oilers and Jackets making a deal that sees no.3 (Puljujarvi) and a d-man coming for RNH and no.4 (Tkachuk).

Would Columbus have interest in this:

RNH, Fayne, Tkachuk/Dubois

for

Savard, Hartnell (waiving NTC), Puljujarvi

???

Oilers obviously bow out of any Lucic bidding war here.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
To me the message from Stauffer is this:

They have deals lined up to improve the defense without using the #4. Good bye 6 million dollar man.

To me, if true, this is the smartest asset management by Chia. We get the cheap, expansion draft-exempt forward for 3 years and free up $ for others, get bigger upfront, and upgrade our defense. Where do I sign? Can't wait to see this all play out...

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
You gotta think that either Tkachuk goes back to juniors or Pouliot is traded if he makes the club.

Hall
Tkachuk
Pouliot
Maroon
Hendricks

Something would have to give there.

That's the reason why I don't see this team drafting Tkachuk.

Unless Chia can get rid of Poo it seems like we are pretty set on LW.

Much better to use the pick as a means to obtain D help or a RW.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
A scenario that I could see happening is a deal that involves the Oilers and Jackets making a deal that sees no.3 (Puljujarvi) and a d-man coming for RNH and no.4 (Tkachuk).

Would Columbus have interest in this:

RNH, Fayne, Tkachuk/Dubois

for

Savard, Hartnell (waiving NTC), Puljujarvi

???

Oilers obviously bow out of any Lucic bidding war here.

While I think it is close in value, it would be better to try to land a RW with Yak and Eberle (?) on the outs.

Three years of Hartnell at 4.75 million is a big pill but not as big as Lucic (6x6 million?)

Hartnell
2013-14 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 78 20 32 52
2014-15 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 77 28 32 60
2015-16 Columbus Blue Jackets NHL 79 23 26 49

Lucic
2013-14 Boston Bruins NHL 80 24 35 59
2014-15 Boston Bruins NHL 81 18 26 44
2015-16 Los Angeles Kings NHL 81 20 35 55

I'd rather go after L. Erickson if he's interested...

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
That's the reason why I don't see this team drafting Tkachuk.

Unless Chia can get rid of Poo it seems like we are pretty set on LW.

Much better to use the pick as a means to obtain D help or a RW.

IMO it's much more likely that Tkachuk would be drafted and sent back to the OHL, which most teams with a competent GM would do in Chia's shoes.

The left side could change a lot by this time next year, making a good fit for Tkachuk to make the club if he shows well in camp:

Hall - Could be traded, unlikely but possible as the return could be large

Pouliot - Could be traded, more likely I think

Maroon - Not convinced he can a consistent mainstay in the top 6. He had a hot finish to the season, but is completely unproven at the NHL level when it comes to providing offense. IMO it's premature to just assume he's going to carry on where he left off with his near-PPG pace after being traded to Edmonton

Hendricks - One more year before UFA, IMO 50/50 he is brought back by Oilers, also has a wonky back that could get worse

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Maybe it's because i thought his dad was a jerk. Maybe its because i philosophically value speed. Maybe i think his stats were plumped by London ice time and linemates. Maybe i'm more interested in Dubois. Maybe i'd rather trade the pick for D. Whatever, i am opposed to the Oilers drafting Tkachuk. Period.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
Maybe it's because i thought his dad was a jerk. Maybe its because i philosophically value speed. Maybe i think his stats were plumped by London ice time and linemates. Maybe i'm more interested in Dubois. Maybe i'd rather trade the pick for D. Whatever, i am opposed to the Oilers drafting Tkachuk. Period.

I'm not opposed to drafting him, but I do get a little of that jerk vibe from Tkachuk Jr. too. Apparently Pool Party has a great personality/attitude. Dubois seems like a really good kid. Not pretentious at all..

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Would be happy with Tkachuk, but I think Dubois is the smart pick here. By all reports he is already a great big-bodied junior player. He has developed a 2-way game, alongside size and skating ability these 3 combine for what I think makes or breaks most players trying to transition to the NHL. Let him simmer, then maybe play in the AHL if necessary (that would be great for Bakersfield), after he matures his game further then let him come in and bump one of our $6 million men out the door assuming most of them aren't gone already. If all goes well that happens within a few years right when McDozer comes off his ELC.

I think now is a great time to not only draft an impact player but to start pushing players down to the farm where they can properly develop, the Oilers could then soon be out of the endless cycle of putting prospects in over their heads. Rather than Bakersfield being a mostly veteran team for competition's sake, the young boys with the most potential can get some relief and won't immediately be slapped on the big roster.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I know that Tkachuk was injured but I wasn't very impressed by him at the Memorial Cup. Everything on the London Knights went thru Marner and Juolevski with Tkachuk seeming more like a support player who's success was coming from Marner leading the plays.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
McKenzie pumping that CBJ aren't sold on Jesse Puljujarvi. They may trade down or we could end up with him at 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad