Prospect Info: 2016 Draft | Trading Down From #4 Less Likely Now According to Stauffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I'll be joining @nielsonTSN1260 on @TSN1260 at 6:45am to discuss the draft and who the Oilers may target at #4.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia said he doesn't see a no.1 D in this draft.

Looks like it's going to be between Tkachuk and Dubois for that 4 spot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I'd imagine that puts any discussion of us taking a dman at 4 to bed. The big question is how does he view the others. If he views Tkachuk and Dubois as future 2nd liners, it still makes sense to trade down and take a future #2 dman. If he thinks one or both are future stars, you have to go forward

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd imagine that puts any discussion of us taking a dman at 4 to bed. The big question is how does he view the others. If he views Tkachuk and Dubois as future 2nd liners, it still makes sense to trade down and take a future #2 dman. If he thinks one or both are future stars, you have to go forward

If they make the pick I think it's going to be Tkachuk. He'll fit great with McDavid and probably is the player the Oilers thought they were getting in Yakupov. It's the safe pick and Chiarelli seems to like him a lot.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So are most oilers fans wanting Tkachuck or Dubois?

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
never going to happen

So... who is the wildcard prospect that could be taken at #2?
Puljujarvi...Tkachuk...Dubois?

Imagine some team goes hog wild over Tkachuk after his Memorial Cup run and trades up to get him... say up to the #2 pick... then another team wants a big C prospect badly and trades up to get Dubois at #3... leaving the Oilers with the fun of choosing between Laine and Puljujarvi at #4 :)

uhmmm .... such wild silly speculation. Maybe Austen will drop down to #4 too???
Both the Finns are a full level above Tkachuk. And MT's skating is also tier below players like Piljujarvi and Dubois such that MT's really the wild card in the top 5 wrt moving down.

It's only the positional versatility and skating ability of Dubois that puts any doubt at all that the Finns go #2 and #3.

Also, in terms of the Oilers, one their concerns should be who they leave to their divisional rival teams Vancouver (who is picking Dubois over Tkachuk) and Calgary (who will sprint up to the draft platform if either Dubois or Tkachuk is still available and who also is likely to prefer Dubois as well, and are likely at #6 picking RW'er Nylander).

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
d-men

Man this team needs better D badly... I mean I was just reflecting on the fact that let's say the Oilers do acquire Hamonic for example... that's not likely to be THE solution either.

The Isles had Hamonic, Boychuk and Leddy... all are better than anything the Oilers have and still the Isles basically did nothing... I mean yes they made the playoffs but went nowhere when it counted the most.

The Oilers need to acquire at a minimum 2 top 4 dmen to even start moving the needle in the right direction and honestly 3 are almost needed imo as they don't have a top pairing guy right now... all of Klefbom/Sekera/Davidson are basically average to good 3/4 type dmen at best and when you account for the inevitable string of injuries that will likely hit again... well I would rather go "overkill" on acquiring dmen than do the 1-and-done (at best) strategy that this team has employed in the past.

absolutely the Oilers are in dire straits on the blueline, but there is no help coming out of this year's draft in that regard-- now or in the future, as there is just no high or even top tier d-men to draft

and the scary thought for all Oilers fans should be how some other Western Conference teams have upgraded their d-core in this off season (Van picked up Gudbranson, Arizona got Gologoski) and also how much better most of the other team's d-core looks compared to the Oilers. Winnipeg, Calgary, La, SJ, everybody in the West is set up better on d than the lowly Oilers.

and with no forward prospect strength in the pipeline, any swap of a forward for a d-men will inevitably leave a hole up front.

hell, in the Vegas expansion draft next year, the "Black Jacks" might decide not to pick an Oiler player at all-- anyways an Oiler will be one of the last picks they make such is the "depth" on this team.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014

I mean that's one way to look at it, he said there are definitely #2s, and basically it depends on what you classify as a #1. He said there is a chance they could become one.

I read it as 'there are no Doughty/Hedman, but there might be some Carlson/McDonagh kind of players." So not elite #1's but guys you could argue for the role.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I mean that's one way to look at it, he said there are definitely #2s, and basically it depends on what you classify as a #1. He said there is a chance they could become one.

I read it as 'there are no Doughty/Hedman, but there might be some Carlson/McDonagh kind of players." So not elite #1's but guys you could argue for the role.

I don't think anyone honestly knows if there's a true #1 in this draft until several years down the road... there could very well be a #1 lurking in the late 1st or early 2nd round of this draft... and who knows.. Sergachev/Chychrun/Juolevi/McAvoy could be #1's... only time will tell.

No one knew Duncan Keith was a #1 either when he was drafted.

If I was a betting man.. I definitely put money on a #1 dman rising up from this draft... the obvious problem though is... picking which one. :)

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's in that group after 16. Doubt he knocks anyone out of it. Is he gonna go before McLeod, Bellows or Kunin? Maybe but I wouldn't bet on it
He will go 11th to the Devils or they trade down for him . What I suspect

If we're dealing Draisaitl for d-help aside from Subban, Chiarelli better do the smart thing and take Dubois as a future replacement. Dubois is a stronger two-way player than Draisaitl was and plays more of a PF game from the highlights I've seen.

McDavid, RNH, Dubois would be the best comprehensive center core in the conference, second in the league behind the Pens.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
If we're dealing Draisaitl for d-help aside from Subban, Chiarelli better do the smart thing and take Dubois as a future replacement. Dubois is a stronger two-way player than Draisaitl was and plays more of a PF game from the highlights I've seen.

McDavid, RNH, Dubois would be the best comprehensive center core in the conference, second in the league behind the Pens.

The only reason Draisaitl's name is mentioned is because he was named in one specific possible deal - which also included the #4.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Laine come off pretty egotistical at the combine. Maybe he rubbed someone the wrong way. There is not a lot of difference to choose between the top 3 and clubhouse fit may come into it

IMO that's the only thing I could think of that could maybe make the Jets think twice about Laine at #2. For all of his obvious game-breaking talent (and make no mistake I'd be over the moon to have him fall to the Oilers' lap), he does have some past behaviour issues that could make some GMs regard him as a bit of a flake. And with the Evander Kane soap opera still fresh in Winnipeg's mind, you could maybe see them not wanting to go through something like that again.

Especially if you have someone like Pool Party (lol) who maybe isn't quite the goal scorer that Laine is, but still gets points and by all accounts is super low maintenance and a great teammate.

You never know.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Can't believe the Oilers would not take Juolevi. It's like this franchise is incapable of making good decision.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Can't believe the Oilers would not take Juolevi. It's like this franchise is incapable of making good decision.

A solid D prospect for sure but clearly not a tier 1 defensive prospect. The Oilers and thier fan based would be mocked for going so far off the board for yet another left shooting defender to add to thier already over stocked pool.

Not to mention any defender picked in this years draft is most likely not able to be a impact defender at the NHL level for at least 3-5 years. Kinda outside the Oilers prime window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia