Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Toot toot!

I'm aboard the trade up to get Grundstrom train. Exactly the winger needed for any of the three centers.
yep. I'm very intrigued to see where exactly he's going to get drafted. I can definitely see a GM 'reaching' for him in the early 20's due to what i believe to be a very high floor vs some other F's in that tier with a lower floor/higher ceiling. ex being a Tufte/Laberge

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Unfortunately it is the highest of the 3's, originally Vancouver's at #63 overall via the Islanders from the Neuvirth deal (it will become #64 with Conner Bleackley not being signed and a compensatory 2nd rounder being awarded).

Buffalo will be picking #69 dude!, #85 (Anaheim), #86 (Dallas) and #89 (St Louis)

Why? I thought these compensation picks had to be your own pick?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Unfortunately it is the highest of the 3's, originally Vancouver's at #63 overall via the Islanders from the Neuvirth deal (it will become #64 with Conner Bleackley not being signed and a compensatory 2nd rounder being awarded).

Buffalo will be picking #69 dude!, #85 (Anaheim), #86 (Dallas) and #89 (St Louis)

I could have sworn that Tim Murray said he had negotiated to give up our lowest 3rd round pick.
I guess I am remembering wrong though. That sucks that we have to give up our highest 3rd...

Where did you see this? Do you have a link by any chance?

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
2016 draft picks and how they changed hands. This is updated with compensatory pick #53 awarded to the Yotes for not signing Bleackley.

The #64 selection which was used for Bylsma compensation was originally Vancouver's, and was returned to Vancouver as follows:

1) 11/25/2014: Traded to Islanders with Alexandre Mallet for Andrey Pedan.
2) 3/2/2015: Traded to Buffalo with Chad Johnson for Michal Neuvirth (better of NYI or VAN 2016 3rd).
3) 5/28/2015: Awarded to Pissburgh for Dan Bylsma (better of NYI or VAN 2016 3rd)
4) 7/28/2015: Traded to Vancouver with Brandon Sutter for Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, and 2016 Anaheim 2nd (#55, originally received for Kevin Bieksa)

Murray gave the conditional 3rd which was the better of NYI/VAN. I was of the understanding that the compensation needed simply to be any 3rd round pick within the next 3 drafts, but did not need to be committed to a particular pick at the time of the signing of Bylsma.

For instance, the Red Wings will receive a 3rd round pick from the Leafs in the 2015, 2016, or 2017 draft and it will be the Leafs choice to exercise which it will be. It has not yet been awarded and for damn sure it won't be this year.

Last edited:

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Submitted without comment.

Two things:

1) Do they mean Bogosian from Junior? Because that was a hell of a player and prospect. And I would LOVE to add someone with that type of ceiling to our pool. Bogo was a monster in Junior.

2) If they mean he tops out as Zach Bogosian, is that really a bad thing at 8? We arent picking top 3 this year. To add someone who is a Bogosian who can last all 82 games a season as a top 4 LD would be a great addition to the team. Plus, he seems like a person who will slot in the lineup this season.

He seems a lot like Risto in his draft year. Some thought he had a limited ceiling and some thought he had a top end ceiling. A strong skater who had a good shot and was strong in all 3 zones. If our scouting team thinks he is worthy at 8, I will have very high hopes for the kid.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I would gladly take a left handed Bogo (Chychrun) over another Ennis (Nylander). A Left handed top 4 D is exactly what we need. I think Chychrun is a much better skater than Bogo is though.

You're doing Nylander a disservice to compare him with Ennis. If anything I think he would compare better to Pominville because of his ability to play the two way game(not a style comparison)

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
.....and yet they still cite him as having top pairing upside with room to improve, with an incredible interview at the Combine. Reminder: we pick 8th, not 1st or 2nd this year. :shakehead

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Two things:

1) Do they mean Bogosian from Junior? Because that was a hell of a player and prospect. And I would LOVE to add someone with that type of ceiling to our pool. Bogo was a monster in Junior.

2) If they mean he tops out as Zach Bogosian, is that really a bad thing at 8? We arent picking top 3 this year. To add someone who is a Bogosian who can last all 82 games a season as a top 4 LD would be a great addition to the team. Plus, he seems like a person who will slot in the lineup this season.

He seems a lot like Risto in his draft year. Some thought he had a limited ceiling and some thought he had a top end ceiling. A strong skater who had a good shot and was strong in all 3 zones. If our scouting team thinks he is worthy at 8, I will have very high hopes for the kid.

The above is really good analysis.

Chychrun is very much like Ristolainen in that he didn't really do anything wrong, but other prospects *apparently* surpassed him for various reasons. Whether Chychrun has Ristolainen's *actual* drive and work ethic is completely unknowable. Saying you are going to work hard to improve yourself in an interview is one thing; doing it is another. Risto has actually done it and the results are evident. If JC has Risto's disposition, then trade up to draft him ASAP. THAT is the key issue, but unfortunately, that is what *presumably most of us* don't know and can't speculate about. On the flip side, we can all probably name AT LEAST one person we played with who had both talent and physical gifts, but simply did not have the drive to take themselves to the "next level" (whatever that relative "next level" may have been).

2) Having said that, it is AMAZING how much draft position impacts future perception of a player and Bogosian is a great example. He's okay. He's an NHL defenseman. But he's never lived up to his draft status and it seems like most people (including me) simply cannot get past where he was drafted as the measure of what he's supposed to bring to a team. Alternatively, draft position is CLEARLY important because often times players get rushed into the NHL and then PAID based mostly on draft position. Bogosian is also a brilliant example of that, too. He seems like a great guy with some great "teammate" qualities. If he's willing to take a pay cut when his contract is up, then sign him forever. But...he probably won't do that. His agent, the NHLPA, etc. probably won't let him do that.

So anyway - Chychrun.... At 8th OA, sure. He'll be a fine pick and might be even better than that. The *very likely* outcome is that he's not available at 8th, but if he is you can't *really* quibble if Buffalo picks him there.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
.....and yet they still cite him as having top pairing upside with room to improve, with an incredible interview at the Combine. Reminder: we pick 8th, not 1st or 2nd this year. :shakehead

EXACTLY. How many times does this need to be reiterated? The expectation on here for pick #8 is off the charts. I hate to break it to everyone but #8 this year will not be as good as Sam or Jack. We'll get the best player at #8, who will - NEWSFLASH - likely be as good as a typical #8 in a typical draft year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
You're doing Nylander a disservice to compare him with Ennis. If anything I think he would compare better to Pominville because of his ability to play the two way game(not a style comparison)
The comparison I like in terms of high end potential is Hosa

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
2016 draft picks and how they changed hands. This is updated with compensatory pick #53 awarded to the Yotes for not signing Bleackley.

The #64 selection which was used for Bylsma compensation was originally Vancouver's, and was returned to Vancouver as follows:

1) 11/25/2014: Traded to Islanders with Alexandre Mallet for Andrey Pedan.
2) 3/2/2015: Traded to Buffalo with Chad Johnson for Michal Neuvirth (better of NYI or VAN 2016 3rd).
3) 5/28/2015: Awarded to Pissburgh for Dan Bylsma (better of NYI or VAN 2016 3rd)
4) 7/28/2015: Traded to Vancouver with Brandon Sutter for Nick Bonino, Adam Clendening, and 2016 Anaheim 2nd (#55, originally received for Kevin Bieksa)

Murray gave the conditional 3rd which was the better of NYI/VAN. I was of the understanding that the compensation needed simply to be any 3rd round pick within the next 3 drafts, but did not need to be committed to a particular pick at the time of the signing of Bylsma.

For instance, the Red Wings will receive a 3rd round pick from the Leafs in the 2015, 2016, or 2017 draft and it will be the Leafs choice to exercise which it will be. It has not yet been awarded and for damn sure it won't be this year.

Man that sucks, especially since it's higher than our own 3rd rounder...
Wonder why Murray committed to giving the better of those 2 picks before he knew where the pick would fall.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The Hockey Writers website covering the combine:

http://thehockeywriters.com/emptying-the-combine-notebook/

On Chychrun:

"Jakob Chychrun is the best and most complete defenseman in this draft. In my mind, he is clearly better than Juolevi and Sergachev. All three project to become top pair defenders, but Chychrun is in a class of his own. Before Laine and Puljujarvi climbed the ranks, Chychrun was in the Matthews discussion. He did nothing at the Combine to disappoint. There’s some that think Chychrun is better than Aaron Ekblad at the same time of development. This is who Edmonton should draft at fourth if they keep the pick. He’s a franchise defenseman."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad