Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
we cannot screw this up if we just stick to the script

Matthews or Laine
but more than 98% likely Jesse Puljijarvi

then Dubois, Tkachuk, Brown, Keller

Like everyone else I covet a big top line centre.. but I welcome the top line RW that we have never had before.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Haven't been able to find audio on this yet, but I've seen two people mention this. I'll put an audio link up if it becomes available.

From Flames Draft Watcher, a poster here who heard it:

"Anybody hear Jeff Marek on Fan960 at noon? Said he's heard CBJ is bringing Logan Brown in for a full day. Suggested they aren't married to Jesse Puljujarvi.

Likely due diligence bringing Brown in, but someone else suggesting we're not quite sure what Columbus will do.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Columbus, if you guys manage to mess this up by not taking Pulju, please mess up in such a way that Pulju does not go to Edmonton. That is all. He deserves better.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Haven't been able to find audio on this yet, but I've seen two people mention this. I'll put an audio link up if it becomes available.

"Anybody hear Jeff Marek on Fan960 at noon? Said he's heard CBJ is bringing Logan Brown in for a full day. Suggested they aren't married to Jesse Puljujarvi.

Likely due diligence bringing Brown in, but someone else suggesting we're not quite sure what Columbus will do.

Columbus, if you guys manage to mess this up by not taking Pulju, please mess up in such a way that Pulju does not go to Edmonton. That is all. He deserves better.

Is it for sure we don't want Jesse? Or we move players + picks to move back into the top 10 for Brown?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

It means they are doing their job. They have to be ready for every scenario. What if a team offers them an amazing trade and they didn't prepare themselves to draft anyone other than the top 3? They need to be prepared for whatever can happen.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Honestly if there is one thing that I am not worried about it is who we are going to draft if there is one unarguable thing the organization has done well since Jarmo took over it is draft. Personally I think Puljujarvi is a clear class below Laine and Matthews and a step above the next class of players, however I also think that a trade back for Brown could be a great move for the team.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

People continue to think Brown as a replacement for Puljujarvi... Maybe they should start to interject that the CBJ may be trying to obtain ANOTHER 1st round pick to pick Brown. That is the more realistic scenario. They are rich on the wing (NHL and NHL Ready players), will add an elite wing and have a deep pipeline that likely doesn't need a lot of prospects added.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
People continue to think Brown as a replacement for Puljujarvi... Maybe they should start to interject that the CBJ may be trying to obtain ANOTHER 1st round pick to pick Brown. That is the more realistic scenario. They are rich on the wing (NHL and NHL Ready players), will add an elite wing and have a deep pipeline that likely doesn't need a lot of prospects added.

Honestly if there is one thing that I am not worried about it is who we are going to draft if there is one unarguable thing the organization has done well since Jarmo took over it is draft. Personally I think Puljujarvi is a clear class below Laine and Matthews and a step above the next class of players, however I also think that a trade back for Brown could be a great move for the team.

I agree with both of you. :handclap:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Puljujarvi is NOT a clear class below Laine or Matthews. He's arguably right with them. The only reason he isn't getting much talk is he's not been hyped up for 3-4 years (Matthews), and doesn't talk a strong game as a dynamic goal scorer (Laine). These three players are all FRANCHISE types.

Eikka

May 21, 2015
I think there's a real possibility that jets draft Puljujärvi. I read that some jets scouts prefer him over Laine. Sometimes it takes only one scout to convince the gm. This happened in 2013 with Barkov. One finnish scout insisted Tallon to draft Barkov and basically put his job on the line.

If Puljujärvi goes #2, I wouldn't be surprised if cbj passes on Laine. JK is a man of order and discipline who values work ethic and team first mentality very highly.

I like what I hear about this Brown kid so if it's going to be him, great. Although the current FO might not have enough time to wait for him to develop into what has been projected.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think there's a real possibility that jets draft Puljujärvi. I read that some jets scouts prefer him over Laine. Sometimes it takes only one scout to convince the gm. This happened in 2013 with Barkov. One finnish scout insisted Tallon to draft Barkov and basically put his job on the line.

If Puljujärvi goes #2, I wouldn't be surprised if cbj passes on Laine. JK is a man of order and discipline who values work ethic and team first mentality very highly.

I like what I hear about this Brown kid so if it's going to be him, great. Although the current FO might not have enough time to wait for him to develop into what has been projected.

IF the Jets take Pulju, Jarmo will run up there to take Laine. He called Laine special. He doesn't pass up on special.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I never thought there would be this much debate about this third pick and what we will do..
If Puljujarvi isn't taken, then we rush up and take Laine.

I can't see a team making an outlandish enough offer to move up to the 3rd pick for us to trade down. If anything, we are scouting Logan Brown in case he does drop in the draft and we can put an offer in to get him (Rychel + 2nd round pick). From what I've read, predicting the draft order this year will be especially difficult after pick 4 or 5..

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I'd likely be okay with trading down to get Logan Brown if they're enamored with him. Taking him at 3rd overall just seems stupid though. I get that GMs rank players a hell of a lot differently than fans/media types do but I don't think anyone's remotely suggesting that there isn't a clear top 3 in this draft.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd likely be okay with trading down to get Logan Brown if they're enamored with him. Taking him at 3rd overall just seems stupid though. I get that GMs rank players a hell of a lot differently than fans/media types do but I don't think anyone's remotely suggesting that there isn't a clear top 3 in this draft.

I agree but I like major's suggestion of drafting one of the Finns at 3 and then trading for Brown when he is picked. Takes the risk out of trading down.

Best strategy,imo, is take the available Finn at 3 then try and put a package together for Brown. Some combo of 2017 1st, Rychel, #34 pick, a D prospect not named Werenski, some other prospect not named Bjorkstrand - maybe Korpi or Forsberg. Just depends on how much they want Brown.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I agree but I like major's suggestion of drafting one of the Finns at 3 and then trading for Brown when he is picked. Takes the risk out of trading down.

Best strategy,imo, is take the available Finn at 3 then try and put a package together for Brown. Some combo of 2017 1st, Rychel, #34 pick, a D prospect not named Werenski, some other prospect not named Bjorkstrand - maybe Korpi or Forsberg. Just depends on how much they want Brown.

I wouldn't give up our 2017 pick under any circumstances. We're going to be awful next year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I wouldn't give up our 2017 pick under any circumstances. We're going to be awful next year.

"awful"? I get we might not be playoff team, but I don't see how you are getting that the team will be awful.

They could overachieve like the Avs of 2 years ago or they could be 2015-16 Jackets redux. Hard to tell with this team.

Plus i don't get the angst over trading next year's 1 for a 1 this year?
I wouldn't load it up to get Brown but 2107 1st plus Rychel, for example, done deal imo.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011

Honestly I did not think we had the ammo to go after Brown, but after really looking at the pieces a trade back into the top 6 actually might be doable, without completely gutting the organization.

Johnson+Rychel+Korpi+34 to Edmonton for the 4th overall? Gives Edm a power forward, A D improvement on a decent contract a goalie of the future and a high second for Brown.

Bottom line is we have the ammo to make something happen without mortgaging the future, the question is can we find a deal to be made.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

"awful"? I get we might not be playoff team, but I don't see how you are getting that the team will be awful.

There are a million threads on this so all I'll say is I don't see the team will be a whole lot different from the team we trotted out last season. Removing the Richards coached games, we project out to about an 80 point pace. For reference, we finished with 76 this season.

Maybe we'll surprise but given the ramifications of potentially losing out on a top 5 pick, Jarmo would potentially throwing away a very good 2017 chip for a player who's not going to help us now.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
There are a million threads on this so all I'll say is I don't see the team will be a whole lot different from the team we trotted out last season. Removing the Richards coached games, we project out to about an 80 point pace. For reference, we finished with 76 this season.

Maybe we'll surprise but given the ramifications of potentially losing out on a top 5 pick, Jarmo would potentially throwing away a very good 2017 chip for a player who's not going to help us now.

:laugh: = it means that Your prognosis far more realistic that last years predictions. Then every paparazzi in every corner cried that we ll fight in Conf final, that we are unstoppable team :) Catharsis was really great

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I agree there is a high probability we end up with a top 8 pick next season. So it's not worth trading for a high teen, early 20 pick.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I agree there is a high probability we end up with a top 8 pick next season. So it's not worth trading for a high teen, early 20 pick.

I agree except Brown projects as a top 10 with 1 or 2C potential.
If the Jackets see him as that why not move up the process by a year? I don't see the harm. I also have no clue as to next year's draft class so if there are 5 or 6 top C's then I get waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad