2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Lottery: April 30th – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Weren't most top defensive D pretty good offensive contributors at lower levels?

Take a guy like Willie Mitchell, almost no offense at the NHL, but in college he was a wizard.

Is this in reference to any of the above posts?

But anyway it's not always true. McDonagh. Vlasic didn't blow up until after he was drafted. Hjammer had little to no offense in Sweden.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think he really traded "for" Bogosian. I think he 1. wanted Kane and 2. didn't want Myers and then third on the list of things was Bogosian...who at least does physically engage without having to be told every shift.

I think he wanted Kane, but wouldn't part with Myers without getting an NHL rightie back... and hence prospect filler. He made a deal where he filled a big hole, without creating a big hole.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I firmly believe he wanted guys who needed to be motivated out. Myers was a guy you had to stay on or he'd just stop battling for weeks.

I was thinking about this yesterday...how different the end of the season feels from previous years. That whole long run the season would end and you'd look at the roster and figure...ok...Roy is going to party, Stafford is going to play in his band, Miller is going to sit on a beach and do some zen or something, Vanek is going to gamble and Pommer probably going to float somewhere. Now I look at it...RoR is going to work. Reinhart is going to work. Bogosian is going to work. Ristolainen and Girgensons are going to work.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Is this in reference to any of the above posts?

But anyway it's not always true. McDonagh. Vlasic didn't blow up until after he was drafted. Hjammer had little to no offense in Sweden.

Not a direct response, but there was vague notion of wanting more stay at homeness in a D man.

I'm of the opinion that drafting shutdown junior players is a poor plan.

There's counter examples of course, but in general.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like a decent option if Murray stays in the 2nd round. seen ranked in mid to low 20's to into the 30's

Him and Krys could be guys to look out for. I've spent some time avoiding work and watching whatever I can find on Girard this afternoon. :laugh:

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Him and Krys could be guys to look out for. I've spent some time avoiding work and watching whatever I can find on Girard this afternoon. :laugh:

I don't know that they're even potential targets. In the last 4 drafts Murray has been apart of, his teams have only drafted two players listed under 6'. Both forwards Olofsson and Vincent Dunn (Both 5'11"). You have to go back to 2011 to see one of his teams draft a sub 6' player before the 5th round, Shane Prince another 5'11" forward. In fact since 2007 when he took over as Assistant GM in Ottawa his teams have only ever taken one single defenseman (1/18) under 6', Chris Wideman. All in all, I wouldn't count on smallish guys like Girard.

Edit: Just did a little more looking. Only 4 of the 18 defenseman drafted under Murray's watch were even under 6'2". It seems to be a stipulation of his that defensemen be over a certain height, kind of like how he won't draft Russians.

Last edited:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I was watching Kärpät-Tappara live, in the attendance yesterday.

There really shouldn't be any talk about Laine/Pulju being on the same tier. While Pulju is a solid player in a playoff Liiga team, Laine is a gamebreaker. And while it might have been accurate to say Pulju being more complete player than Laine, I don't think that applies at the moment. Laine is really thriving, and his effort is great. He doesn't have the experience or skill to be a total package yet, but based on his game on the ice at the moment and the reports about his attitude etc, he has potential to be a really special player.

High-end scoring with powerforward elements and responsible two-way game?

Here are Laine's both goal's of the night. I think I have said this before, but there hasn't been a wrister like that in Liiga since Kai Nurminen. That wrister most likely is better than Eichel's (who IMO has the best wrister on our team).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD74EAAYlP0

(Opening goal of the night)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWziMoajHwI

(game tying equalizer after less than a minute left on the clock)

Kärpät were the home team, and I'm not a fan of either team. When Laine scored the tying goal, the whole crowd (obviously) was really silent, but I was just compulsory laughing. :laugh: I mean, the wrister was just so filthy and you could even saw that it's going to be there when Laine got the puck on right side of the goal.

And Laine's mullet is back! :handclap:

The top of the draft at the moment for me.

Matthews
Laine

Pulju
rest

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Now that pick 8 is locked barring the lottery....

I really like 7 guys. (I like 2 Russians who I think Murray won't take; Sergachev and Rubstov).

Matthews
Chychrun
Puljujarvi
Laine
Juolevi
Dubois
Tkachuk

If you see these guys as the first 7, and you think Murray will stay away from Russia, who's the guy at 8?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

I really like 7 guys. (I like 2 Russians who I think Murray won't take; Sergachev and Rubstov).

Matthews
Chychrun
Puljujarvi
Laine
Juolevi
Dubois
Tkachuk

If you see these guys as the first 7, and you think Murray will stay away from Russia, who's the guy at 8?

I would say there is a very high chance we take one of these 9, I think there is a drop off after these, which is why I wanted to finish 8th last so bad.

Matthews
Chychrun
Puljujarvi
Laine
Juolevi
Dubois
Tkachuk
Nylander
Sergachev

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Matthews
Chychrun
Puljujarvi
Laine
Juolevi
Dubois
Tkachuk

Nylander. Although I would prefer Sergachev.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Nylander. Although I would prefer Sergachev.

I think Nylander has very good offensive instincts. Elite hands. Great playmaker. Good shot.

Things I question (because lack of tape of non-highlight reels): defensive play, and skating speed.

Also, that Murray buzz-word: 'Fit'.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Only time will tell if Bean ahead of Chychrun is dumb.

Hickey at 4 in '07 is one of those "off the board" picks that bombed.

If the Sabres are at 9, I won't be shocked if one of Chychrun and Juolevi are there.

If both are available at 7, 8 or 9, I would take Juolevi over Chychrun, but it is a coin flip based on what you're preferring.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Just really hoping we luck out and there's a run on the forwards

really just wanna trade in the karma points and end up 1 or 2...

This team with Laine or Matthews would be special. Find a Dman via trade or FA

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
I think my rankings right now go:
Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Juolevi
Chychrun
Tkachuk
Nylander
Dubois
Sergachev

Any of those top 8 though is a great prospect to add to the core. Every one of them fills a need too.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I think my rankings right now go:
Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Juolevi
Chychrun
Tkachuk
Nylander
Dubois
Sergachev

Any of those top 8 though is a great prospect to add to the core. Every one of them fills a need too.

9*

1 Matthews
2 Laine
3 Pulju
4 Juolevi
5 Chychrun
6 Tkachuk
7 Nylander
8 Dubois
9 Sergachev

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
We're in Juolevi range. Easy pick for me, unless Chychrun is available.

I'd be happy with Juolevi, Chychrun, Nylander, or Dubois. They all fill a need in the lineup. If we get pushed down to 9th or 10th after the lottery, though, it makes it more unlikely any of those guys will be available to us (unless Sergachev goes earlier).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad