2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Lottery: April 30th – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think Chyrchrun's 'lack of production' is being pretty wildly overstated. He's at .72 PPG in his draft year (same as Juolevi). Ekblad .91. Nurse had .60. Murray .67. Griffin Reinhart .62. Is it Eklbad domination? No. But it's pretty damn good compared to other D that have been drafted high out of juniors. Also, obviously +/- is a far from perfect stat, but the way he completely turned that around says something about his 'stats.'

Mr. "Lack of Production" had 4 assists tonight. I think Buffalo takes him and runs. He seems to have the speed of Hannifin, the size and physical play of Ekblad, though less skill than both, which is fine.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wasn't Fowler's drop character related? Chychrun's drop seems to be more concerns about his hockey IQ.

No it doesn't. IQ is one of his string suits - I have no idea where you get your garbage assessments from. Also, he's barely dropping at all. 4 assists tonight. Almost every point you make about the draft is incorrect, year after year.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Chychrun struggled earlier in the season coming off of shoulder surgery but has ramped his game up as the season has gone on. Not making the WJC team while Matthews, Tkachuk, Laine, Pulj, Juolevi all shined for their teams probably dropped him in some people's eyes and being sick for the Top Prospect's game may have hurt in some eyes as well but the kid is a stud and the Sabres should run to the podium to draft him anywhere outside the top 3.

The kid is almost like Eichel playing defence. A physical freak with tremendous speed and athleticism. He plays well all over the ice and Chychrun-Risto would set the team up beautifully for their playoff runs in a couple years.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
When I watch Chychrun this year, I'm reminded of reinhart when he was sent down in his post draft year. I see a guy who is working on the finer points in his game, and not simply dominating via his natural ability.

I think that's been mistaken for a lack of development, or a drop off. It's not.

He's going straight to the NHL... And it looks like he is going to fall right in our laps

:)

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
When I watch Chychrun this year, I'm reminded of reinhart when he was sent down in his post draft year. I see a guy who is working on the finer points in his game, and not simply dominating via his natural ability.

I think that's been mistaken for a lack of development, or a drop off. It's not.

He's going straight to the NHL... And it looks like he is going to fall right in our laps

Stop getting my hopes up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fowler dropped after people started trying to find holes to poke in his game after being the top-ranked d-man all season long. The forwards had a run and Fowler dropped. I expect something similar to happen here and Chychrun is a helluva consolation to whoever he winds up with.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Hatcher has been trying to rein Chychrun in a bit trying to teach him to be more defensively sound and more responsible in his own end. That, combined with his recovery from the shoulder injury has resulted in him having some moments where he looks off, along with a bit of a dip in his offensive #'s. I have very few reservations about this kid, If we're picking outside the top 3 he's my guy.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Hatcher has been trying to rein Chychrun in a bit trying to teach him to be more defensively sound and more responsible in his own end. That, combined with his recovery from the shoulder injury has resulted in him having some moments where he looks off, along with a bit of a dip in his offensive #'s. I have very few reservations about this kid, If we're picking outside the top 3 he's my guy.

Yup.

Although I'm probably still the loner on the island that would lean Chychrun at #2 (or ideally trade down a spot). Need is my determining factor at the top.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
About time you guys started to circle back to Chychrun, as in my viewings, he seems to be pretty consistent with those possession driving zone entries that Sportsnet noted Eichel and Hall for, plus typically adds an assist or two. You were worrying me there with all the negativity, as I see none. Give me.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The one caveat to Chyrchrun dropping... Assuming Edmonton finishes behind us and we don't jump them... Surely, surely, surely... they surely won't pass up on the top Dman for a winger, again, right...?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The one caveat to Chyrchrun dropping... Assuming Edmonton finishes behind us and we don't jump them... Surely, surely, surely... they surely won't pass up on the top Dman for a winger, again, right...?
Guess it depends where they ultimately end up. If it's between Tkachuk and Chychrun, I think it's a certainty they go defense. Puljujarvi or Chychrun? They might just go with Puljujarvi. Never underestimate how much the Oilers love their forwards. Lol

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
About time you guys started to circle back to Chychrun, as in my viewings, he seems to be pretty consistent with those possession driving zone entries that Sportsnet noted Eichel and Hall for, plus typically adds an assist or two. You were worrying me there with all the negativity, as I see none. Give me.

Hey, I've been here all along

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Yeah, Edmonton is taking Chyrchrun if they pick before us which is highly likely.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
MNHSL sectionals have wrapped up tonight .. Tufte and Blaine were upset days ago, but he did add a goal and 3 SOG tonight with Fargo/USHL .. Mattson and Grand Rapids won 7AA and advanced to state, while Graham and Eden Prairie won 2AA and Jette and Farmington won 1AA .. below is Stillwater's 4AA OT GWG, but Cates is a junior and 2017 eligible I think:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Never left the SS Chychrun, my man!

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Said this a few days ago. Physically, he's ready. I think he's mentally ready as well.

A Chychrun - Pysyk combo sounds good to me.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
The way the TDL works year after year, IMO, even if it's not an area of need, you should stockpile top D as an investment. Everyone always needs top defensemen, and they almost always bring in a sweet return. If you have a surplus of good defensemen, you can backfill the rest of your roster with trade chips from other teams.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The way the TDL works year after year, IMO, even if it's not an area of need, you should stockpile top D as an investment. Everyone always needs top defensemen, and they almost always bring in a sweet return. If you have a surplus of good defensemen, you can backfill the rest of your roster with trade chips from other teams.

It hasn't worked all that great for Nashville :dunno:

Without the skill up front, a deep defense doesn't get you that far.

I don't disagree with your main point about good d-men being currency, but, I think depth from the back end is more important as it lets you develop d-men in the AHL (see Detroit and Dallas) rather than rush them to the NHL (see us, re: Risto, Zadorov, and McCabe).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
It hasn't worked all that great for Nashville :dunno:

Without the skill up front, a deep defense doesn't get you that far.

I don't disagree with your main point about good d-men being currency, but, I think depth from the back end is more important as it lets you develop d-men in the AHL (see Detroit and Dallas) rather than rush them to the NHL (see us, re: Risto, Zadorov, and McCabe).

Different conditions. Nashville isn't close to having the center depth Buffalo has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia