2016 Draft Thread – Host: Buffalo – Lottery: April 30th – Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Mike Morreale was on WGR yesterday and said the top 6 players could make the jump next year. He also said the difference between 8 and 28 was razor thin.

He seems to imply the top 6 that had a chance were Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Tkachuk, Chychrun, and Juolevi. He didn't say, but I presume that Nylander is 7. After that, there seems to be a major drop. He also said the drop could be at 10 depending who you are talking with.

I think he's totally off. Implying the difference between a guy like Dubois/Sergavhev and a guy like Brown/Hajek is "razor thin" just doesn't make sense.

Also, the top-6 itself is completely debatable as to who that is. The top-3 is clear, thoe next "3 guys in the top-6" can be considered Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander and even a couple others. There is no major drop within this group at all.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he's totally off. Implying the difference between a guy like Dubois/Sergavhev and a guy like Brown/Hajek is "razor thin" just doesn't make sense.

Also, the top-6 itself is completely debatable as to who that is. The top-3 is clear, thoe next "3 guys in the top-6" can be considered Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander and even a couple others. There is no major drop within this group at all.

Agreed. I rarely find Morreale's articles all that thoughtful and seeing that comment is a head-scratcher.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think Chyrchrun's 'lack of production' is being pretty wildly overstated. He's at .72 PPG in his draft year (same as Juolevi). Ekblad .91. Nurse had .60. Murray .67. Griffin Reinhart .62. Is it Eklbad domination? No. But it's pretty damn good compared to other D that have been drafted high out of juniors. Also, obviously +/- is a far from perfect stat, but the way he completely turned that around says something about his 'stats.'

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I think Chyrchrun's 'lack of production' is being pretty wildly overstated. He's at .72 PPG in his draft year (same as Juolevi). Ekblad .91. Nurse had .60. Murray .67. Griffin Reinhart .62. Is it Eklbad domination? No. But it's pretty damn good compared to other D that have been drafted high out of juniors. Also, obviously +/- is a far from perfect stat, but the way he completely turned that around says something about his 'stats.'
Horrifying comp list outside of Ekblad and maybe Nurse.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Horrifying comp list outside of Ekblad and maybe Nurse.

Fair point, those are just the top D taken out of juniors in recent years. Maybe the lesson should be to not draft D out of juniors :laugh:

Edit: Also, feel free to go further down the lists and pick out 'good' players. I doubt their PPG are any better.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Defensemen seem to be more hit or miss that high in the draft. That's one of the main things that concerns me. FWIW, Nurse has been pretty awful in my pretty regular viewings of Edmonton. He fits right in with that group.

D-men have a much higher bust factor in the top 5. Mostly because, with rare exception (Ekblad) d-men take longer to develop and harder to predict at 18 than a forward does.

No d-men in the draft (IMHO) will be skating in the NHL for a few years. I have zero qualms trading back if we land outside the top 3. If we could get something like 7-10 + 18-21 for pick 4-6, it'd be a no brainer.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
IIRC, the numbers suggest dmen aren't as sure of a thing at the top, top of the draft, but essentially it's more necessary to draft them 'high' (as in top 15) than forwards because theyre harder to find late than forwards.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think with Murray's expedited rebuild, people are scared of drafting a defenseman so high because of how long one takes to develop. If he didn't, and we had this scenario come up people wouldn't be so tied into the whole time frame.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think with Murray's expedited rebuild, people are scared of drafting a defenseman so high because of how long one takes to develop. If he didn't, and we had this scenario come up people wouldn't be so tied into the whole time frame.

I think Murray himself has said he doesn't like taking defensemen real high in the draft, probably for the reasons others have mentioned. Granted what you prefer to do and how your draft slot and the draft board falls to you can be very different things.

It will be interesting to see what young D are actually left to RFA status vs who else gets preemptively signed. I don't think anything too crazy will happen till Murray knows where the first round pick ends up with the new lottery.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Has anyone seen any of Cam Dineen this season? He's putting up incredible numbers in the OHL. Left handed shot, puck moving Dman, but haven't seen much talk of him. Second round guy? Third round guy?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Has anyone seen any of Cam Dineen this season? He's putting up incredible numbers in the OHL. Left handed shot, puck moving Dman, but haven't seen much talk of him. Second round guy? Third round guy?

I would guess anywhere from 15 to 40th.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

Very impressive growth this year. Terrific offense and it's not like his defense is really bad either. In my top-30 although I like him more than most. Definitely should be a target with our early 2nd

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
This time last year I was a big fan of Chychrun and what he projected to be (potential to be an Ekblad/Doughty level defenseman). But after seeing what's happened this year and reading this thread more and more, I kinda hope that Murray somehow swings a deal with Anaheim in the offseason for Cam Fowler or some other defenseman who's on the outs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'd trade for a d further along way before throwing a top pick on one. Not just the risk of them being a bust...but you are likely waiting years to find out anyway. Forwards are less risk and less wait so I'm always for using high picks on them first.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
This time last year I was a big fan of Chychrun and what he projected to be (potential to be an Ekblad/Doughty level defenseman). But after seeing what's happened this year and reading this thread more and more, I kinda hope that Murray somehow swings a deal with Anaheim in the offseason for Cam Fowler or some other defenseman who's on the outs.

For all the talk of 'regression' in draft year production, it's funny you mention Doughty, who regressed from 74 points in 67 games in his 2nd junior season to 50 points in 58 games in his draft season.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
For all the talk of 'regression' in draft year production, it's funny you mention Doughty, who regressed from 74 points in 67 games in his 2nd junior season to 50 points in 58 games in his draft season.

Yes but it's clear there's a difference between the two in terms of how they were perceived in their draft years. Chychrun wouldn't be ranked behind Tkachuk and occasionally behind Juolevi on some lists if he was thought of as highly as Doughty. Probably would be in the top 3 consistently at least.

I don't know, maybe people are reading too much into his "regression". I read an interesting post on the prospects forum, stating that a lot of his said "regression" had to do with the coaching and structure change not allowing for as much offensive creativity and risk taking.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The thing that surprised me the most about Dineen was that he isn't part of those Dineens (Bill, Kevin, Gord, Peter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia